U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Palm Beach Gardens: call several realtors, idea of renting, putting down roots, family friendly place

Old 06-13-2008, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 18,088 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am new to this forum but have looked at (and found useful) some recent threads as we will be moving to the area in August and going to FL in a couple of weeks to house hunt. My husband will be working in Palm Beach Gardens and we have 2 children under the age of 3. We want to try and see as many places as possible and hope to find a home that we can purchase and stay in for quite a while. I know that we definitely want to look in Wellington and Abacoa in Jupiter... perhaps others as well. But, my question is this... to me, not really knowing the area I feel like those 2 places are kind of "far" away from each other- would one realtor be really well versed in both areas? For all you realtors out there, I am honestly not using this forum to find a realtor. Your input is welcome, but I would really love to hear thoughts from others who just live and work in southern Florida. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 PM

896 posts, read 3,928,834 times
You will probably get a couple posts from people who have their houses listed. You're right--Wellington and Jupiter are a distance away and I think that a realtor overly familiar with the Jupiter area might not be familiar with Wellington and vice versa. Why not call a realtor and ask them? A good, honest realtor will tell you the correct course to take. If it were me, I'd try to find an agency that has realtors in both cities, approach one and see if they'll do reciprocity with a colleague in the other city and then you can probably go with the realtor in the city you prefer. Another option that we've done is to spend a day driving around on our own to get a feel for the towns. On our last move, we did this and were able to lock down on the city we preferred and went from there.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 AM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
You will probably get a couple posts from people who have their houses listed. You're right--Wellington and Jupiter are a distance away and I think that a realtor overly familiar with the Jupiter area might not be familiar with Wellington and vice versa. Why not call a realtor and ask them? A good, honest realtor will tell you the correct course to take. If it were me, I'd try to find an agency that has realtors in both cities, approach one and see if they'll do reciprocity with a colleague in the other city and then you can probably go with the realtor in the city you prefer. Another option that we've done is to spend a day driving around on our own to get a feel for the towns. On our last move, we did this and were able to lock down on the city we preferred and went from there.
Thanks for your input. I'll do what you suggest... I'm going to call several realtors and see if I get a feel for somebody I feel comfortable with. I'm also trying to be really open to the idea of renting, as it may be the wisest decision until we are absolutely sure where we want to live. The reality is that the reason I don't want to rent is that we've been moving around quite a bit the last few years and I'm sick of moving, so especially with 2 young kids, the thought of 2 moves just exhausts me! But, I only want to buy a place we are absolutely in love with since we definitely don't want to have to try and sell anything in the near future, especially in such an uncertain market. Thanks again... I appreciate your advice.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmove08 View Post
Thanks for your input. I'll do what you suggest... I'm going to call several realtors and see if I get a feel for somebody I feel comfortable with. I'm also trying to be really open to the idea of renting, as it may be the wisest decision until we are absolutely sure where we want to live. The reality is that the reason I don't want to rent is that we've been moving around quite a bit the last few years and I'm sick of moving, so especially with 2 young kids, the thought of 2 moves just exhausts me! But, I only want to buy a place we are absolutely in love with since we definitely don't want to have to try and sell anything in the near future, especially in such an uncertain market. Thanks again... I appreciate your advice.
We must live in the same world. I have moved three times in less than 3 years with 4 kids and it isn't fun. Putting down roots is always a first priority because you feel a sense of permanence. We're currently renting (we got nailed by the FL RE mkt) and although I don't love it because there is hideous wallpaper on the walls, etc., I know my husband is happy because we're not obligated to anything. It's also given us a year (and now another year because we just leased a different house) to get to know the area. The problem between Jupiter and Wellington is distance. When we first moved to WPB (1996), there was nothing in Wellington. Over the last few years, it has sprawled and there are a lot of happy families living there. I always lived in North County (PBG, Juno Bch and Jupiter). I enjoyed Jupiter. Despite others comments, there are not a lot of great restaurants (compared to the Wellington Green mall area) but there is always Palm Beach Gardens and WPB. Jupiter is a sweet, sleepy beach town. I only have experience with Jupiter but it's a nice "small" town feel to it. After living there a while, I would see the same people at the supermarket, have a relationship with salespeople, and I would see other families I knew when I was out and about. I always liked the location of justing being able to jump on 95 from Jupiter to get anywhere. In all the years I lived in Jupiter, I only went to Wellington 4 times. Good Luck. Deciding between two towns is tough!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
We must live in the same world. I have moved three times in less than 3 years with 4 kids and it isn't fun. Putting down roots is always a first priority because you feel a sense of permanence. We're currently renting (we got nailed by the FL RE mkt) and although I don't love it because there is hideous wallpaper on the walls, etc., I know my husband is happy because we're not obligated to anything. It's also given us a year (and now another year because we just leased a different house) to get to know the area. The problem between Jupiter and Wellington is distance. When we first moved to WPB (1996), there was nothing in Wellington. Over the last few years, it has sprawled and there are a lot of happy families living there. I always lived in North County (PBG, Juno Bch and Jupiter). I enjoyed Jupiter. Despite others comments, there are not a lot of great restaurants (compared to the Wellington Green mall area) but there is always Palm Beach Gardens and WPB. Jupiter is a sweet, sleepy beach town. I only have experience with Jupiter but it's a nice "small" town feel to it. After living there a while, I would see the same people at the supermarket, have a relationship with salespeople, and I would see other families I knew when I was out and about. I always liked the location of justing being able to jump on 95 from Jupiter to get anywhere. In all the years I lived in Jupiter, I only went to Wellington 4 times. Good Luck. Deciding between two towns is tough!
Maybe we will find another area to look at as well. Those are just 2 places that people he will be working with live. He'll be working in Palm Beach Gardens, which I don't know that we could afford. We lived in Chicago for a long time (and got hurt by the real estate market there, so I feel your pain!), and one thing I've missed living where we live now is being able to walk to restaurants, shops, etc. But, we don't miss the long commute! So, we're trying to find the best of both worlds... a family friendly place, not an overly long commute (I know Wellington is farther but the one guy he talked to said it's quick), and yet things to do in the community where we live. I don't like having to get in the car to do everything, which we have to do now. I'm open to other suggestions as well, if people have other ideas- thanks!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 AM

No matter where you live in Florida, you have to get in your car. You probably only have to drive 10 minutes (20 minutes tops if you go to WPB) so it's really not that bad. Driving my kids to preschool only took me 6 minutes each way. I'm sorry to have to say that. If you live near the Abacoa town center, you can definitely walk to it. The baseball stadium is very nice and relaxing place to hang out and there are some shops and restaurants there. In the Jupiter area, this is probably the only walkable subdivision that I can think of. Has anyone ever mentioned Stuart to you? Their downtown is also very nice and quaint. You might want to check into it too.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:57 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,723,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmove08 View Post
Maybe we will find another area to look at as well. Those are just 2 places that people he will be working with live. He'll be working in Palm Beach Gardens, which I don't know that we could afford. We lived in Chicago for a long time (and got hurt by the real estate market there, so I feel your pain!), and one thing I've missed living where we live now is being able to walk to restaurants, shops, etc. But, we don't miss the long commute! So, we're trying to find the best of both worlds... a family friendly place, not an overly long commute (I know Wellington is farther but the one guy he talked to said it's quick), and yet things to do in the community where we live. I don't like having to get in the car to do everything, which we have to do now. I'm open to other suggestions as well, if people have other ideas- thanks!

Palm Beach Gardens is the same price range or actually maybe even cheaper than Jupiter and Wellington, though I believe the schools in Wellington and Jupiter are better than Palm Beach Gardens.

Abacoa town center is a "hit or miss" proposition. If you live close enough, you can walk to Costello's Pizza, Irish pub, Japanese Steakhouse, JJ Muggs sports bar, strabucks, and a few botique like shops. Even if you're not within walkable distance, everything you need is within a mile or so radius.

Other than that, there's always downtown West Palm Beach's Southern neighborhoods for a "true" downtown feel.... but the schools aren't as good I've been told.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM

5 posts, read 17,857 times
Hi, I am looking at moving out of G-d forsaken Sacramento, Ca. and am looking at the area around Palm Beach Gardens. Not a job transfer, just time to leave here. I had lived in Hollywood, back in the 70's, but it's looking pretty shabby now. I was in the Keys in Sept. '07. Any ideas about rental houses? I keep getting re-routed to different web sites when looking. We have 2 small kitties and one pittie. She's a lover, not a fighter, and runs from the vaccum when I clean. She's not a barker either.( she's 8 yrs old) I am so ready to just go! What about smaller towns around this area? Seems where I was looking at, for rental, was right across the street from the mall! Not too good! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am early 50's , my Mom would be coming and my oldest son, 27, not a partier, but ex-Army. I have my BA in Criminal Justice and will be going for my Masters in Psych, so I am not a slouch. (just in case someone knows of a rental) Thanks! brat242 aka Liz
[+] Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach