U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,158 times
Default 8 feet ceiling height on the second floor

Apart from the land issue, there is another factor to Oakmont Estates new homes that I found quite intimidating. The second floor ceiling height is only 8 feet. What it means that anyone with a height of 5.5 feet plus, it is very difficult to mount a ceiling fan on the second floor else you might hurt yourself with a slightest upward movement.

Interestingly, I got to know that the old homes are built with 10 feet ceiling height on the first floor and 9.5 feet on second floor. Reason for cutting the height? - cost reduction. OE wants to be price competitive in order to sell the homes. So if you love 8 feet ceilng height, it is all yours....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,790,514 times
Did they ever resolve the unsafe levels of arsenic and lead at Oakmont? Hmm, last time I drove by there it looked like a ghost town.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:46 PM

34 posts, read 122,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Did they ever resolve the unsafe levels of arsenic and lead at Oakmont? Hmm, last time I drove by there it looked like a ghost town.
Must have been sometime since you drove by, the place is far from a ghost town. All the inventory homes have been sold. Models are almost complete and there are at least 8 lots sold as of today. The ground is perfectly safe, and has been deemed so by all the proper state officials. Oakmont knows exactly what is in their soil, not to many other places can say that. The community is beautiful, and the residents to date are wonderful.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:21 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,790,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvdn View Post
Must have been sometime since you drove by, the place is far from a ghost town. All the inventory homes have been sold. Models are almost complete and there are at least 8 lots sold as of today. The ground is perfectly safe, and has been deemed so by all the proper state officials. Oakmont knows exactly what is in their soil, not to many other places can say that. The community is beautiful, and the residents to date are wonderful.
Yeah it's been a while, I remember the area when it was a shooting range. Depending on what goes in next to it, the park and PBCC campus fell through it shouldn't' be too bad of a place to live.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,792 times
Are the builders really negotiable in price? I realy like the development. I want so many upgrades. Don't know what to choose!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 PM

74 posts, read 210,625 times
What ever became of this? The last post was in 2009 and we are going to take a look at this development on our visit but read about soil problems. Was this resolved?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 AM

11 posts, read 19,029 times
Ironically the saleslady inside the office tried to convince us that the Berber carpet was an upgrade. From what? Plywood flooring?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM

69 posts, read 134,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstar View Post
As the OP I asked if anyone knew about the community b/c I visited it and really liked the homes. My family decided against buying there b/c of the soil and ground water issues. We currently rent in Wellington and like it alot. We also have 2 small children. In my view, while the prices of the homes seem like a bargain, I needed to take a step back and think about things. First, the homes we liked were origianlly sold in the $700-800K range and were now going for almost half that price. Sure the market has come down but not that drastically. In my veiw, these new prices reflect that there is a serious problem here and the builder knows it. I also think that this community is or will be stigmatized. What about the ground water? Plus, the majority of the community is not built and will not be built until all the constructed homes are sold - how long will that be, if ever? There is a manned gate with no guard and there will be no guard until all the homes are built. What about other amenities? Of course, I could be way off base with my opinions, but to me the pros were outweiged by the cons and there is so much to chose out there now. The homes are beautiful though.
I agree with you Bobstar. It's now June of 2010 and all I've heard are negatives about Oakmont. The stigma will hurt us one day so we are choosing not to buy there aside from the fact that we don't want to take any chances getting ill.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 AM

69 posts, read 134,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Yeah it's been a while, I remember the area when it was a shooting range. Depending on what goes in next to it, the park and PBCC campus fell through it shouldn't' be too bad of a place to live.
Hi,

Was it just Oakmont Estates that was a shooting range or all of Wellington/Lake Worth etc...?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,356 times
Unfortunately, in today's market, one must compile research that rivials that of a college thesis in order to be sure the property being purchased is not a lemon. What concerns me with places like Oakmont Estates is who is giving the "all clear" to the potential residents. There has been talk in this thread about some sort of safe area or safe zone of top soil that is 3 feet thick. What exactly is this suppose to stop in the way of contamination exposure? Will it successfully supress whatever toxins lie beneath the surface from off-gassing up into the fondation of the homes? What about the huge lakes in the middle of the neighborhood? Does this 3 foot soil barrier extend its protection below the surface of the water? Hardly possible. The source of irrigation for the neighborhood sprinkers systems comes from these lakes. There has to be much more to this than meets the eye. Even at the low prices advertised at Oakmont Estates, the homes/lots are not moving. Recent home sales in Wellington show that buyers would rather purchase used homes for the same price rather than buying in Oakmont. Why is this? Remember, residents of the Acreage recently were told their soil was OK too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach