Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 AM

114 posts, read 449,031 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there know anything about this community? Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 07:54 AM

64 posts, read 281,841 times
I heard there were lead issues in the soil because there was a shooting range there. They completed many of the homes in there and no one ever moved into them. I guesss they released everyone out of their contracts. Those homes have been sitting there for a year probably. They now have signs saying the sales center is open. The homes are decent looking, nicely landscaped and the location is pretty good. I think there are some power lines and a boat and/or rv storage area that border one side of the community. It is a bit of in eye sore in my opinion. It is very close to shopping, restaurants etc.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM

14 posts, read 72,174 times
We are thinking about a move to Florida and visited Oakmont Estates in early May.

According to the fact sheet provided to us at the community there was a concern over arsenic, lead and PAHs in the soil primarily due to the previous use of a portion of the land as a shooting range as previously noted (and also agricultural uses). Per the sales person on site the testing of the soil was done by Centex on a voluntarily basis and some of these same issues may have been uncovered at neighboring communities had they been tested. From the fact sheet, all soil testing above FDEP guidelines for arsenic, lead and PAHs was removed and backfilled with a GeoMat layer place between the remaining existing soil and and fill dirt brought in. Legal restrictions are also being put in place on the use of groundwater on the site for any purpose due to the possibility of arsenic contamination.

A letter from the FDEP was also provided noting that the backfilled soil tested to acceptable levels for contaminants but that quarterly grounwater sampling for arsenic will continue for at least a year (from March 08).

At the time we visited none of the completed homes were occupied though it was stated they were expecting their first move in that week. It would be interesting to hear from one of those initial contract holders when the contaminant issue first came to ligh, the full reasoning why none of those initially built homes closed and confirmation on whether soil testing really was done on a voluntary basis.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 38,909 times
We bought at Oakmont and will be moving in the second week of August. About 20 of the homes already built have been sold with another 6 on hold as of yesterday. There was a discovery of problems with the soil, but, as soon as Centex was notified, they corrected the issue, and have a letter that you can receive a copy of from the EPA stating that the problem has been resolved. All of Wellington was a swamp at one time. If the land that Oakmont Estates sits on HAD arsenic, then most of the land if not all of the land in Wellington has similar problems. I now know whats in my soil...does anyone else? My home at pre construction prices was sold for over $900,000. The original owners backed out. After the delay with the soil issues getting resolved, the housing market tanked. I bought the same house for less than $500,000, and again, I'm living on clean, EPA approved land. Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM

17 posts, read 94,166 times
Hi wellingtonlover, my wife and I are also considering coming back to SF from Atlanta and Oakmont since to be our best choice so far, I have been looking at other communities like Olympia (tooooooo many houses) and some resales but quite frankly nothing compares so far to what Centex is offering. What model are you getting? I assume you have run your numbers yet, what's a fair estimate for oproperty taxes and insurance? Let's hope we become neighbors.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 38,909 times
First of all my original post said we paid less than 500,000 it should have said less than 600,000.

We bought the "ruby"..about 4000 sq ft. 5 bedroom, 4 1/2 bath, bonus room 3 car garage, with a pool and hot tub. Our taxes and insurance ended up being about 9000 a year. We paid an initial capital contribution toward the HOA of $915/at closing and then our HOA monthly's are $235 until the community is built out, at which time they will go up probably another $100. They have begun clearing some more land to build some more models. The homes are really starting to move. If your serious about moving back, you might want to visit soon! Let me know if you have any other questions. I used to live in Atlanta also!!! Small world.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 PM

17 posts, read 94,166 times
I guess we are in, tomorrow I am signing the contract, my wife and I have traveled two weekends in a row to visit the area, we are inloved with what Wellington has to offer, you are close to almost anything you could ask for. Now I just need to either sale or rent my house in Atlanta, I hope I won't have much trouble in doing so and move down in less than 4 months. Our only worry is that deal with the lead, it is pretty scary, today I talked to a guy that moved already who had the same concerns and he told me that he did his research, contacted the agencies responsible of this issues and he was told that all the problems were corrected and the readings are acceptable. Well, I am going to give it a shot, I love the community and the price is excellent. Enjoy your house, sure we will meet very soon.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 21,030 times
Default Considering Oakmont Estates

Hi, my husband and I looked at Oakmont Estates yesterday and are seriously considering a purchase for all the reasons already mentioned. I was wondering if anyone on this thread is living there yet and what your thoughts are about the community. I too will be relocating. Thanks

Old 08-04-2008, 04:03 PM

64 posts, read 281,841 times
I live in VillageWalk which is very near Oakmont Estates and I think you will love the area. Everything you can imagine is at your fingertips. Summers are a little warm but winters are unbeatable!!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 21,030 times
Thanks michellelf. We were so busy looking at houses that we didn't much notice the local businesses LOL.

As someone who lives in the area but not in Oakmont Estates, can you please tell me what the community thinks about Oakmont Estates? I'm sorry to ask such a blunt, harsh question but here is my situation:

We have found houses in a few developments. Oakmont Estates offers brand new homes and the price makes the community even more desirable. Personally, I am fine with the outcome of the soil issue. My only hesitation to purchasing in Oakmont Estates is the reputation. I do not want to buy my dream home only to find that parents don't want their children to play at my house or swim in my pool, etc. That would be a nightmare! Should this be a valid concern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach