U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 AM

32 posts, read 141,128 times

Advertisements

We are a family of three (2 adults and a newborn) with a very large but lovable dog. The fiance has got a job offer in West Palm so we are relocating to the area. I am somewhat familiar with South Florida since I lived on South Beach for two years but never been to West Palm. We are seeking a bit bohemian, artsy, farmers market, yoga, beachy town. Everyone tells me Delray.. the only problem is that no one wants to take in a big dog... and the rent is a bit out of our price range for downtown area. I am looking for a place somewhere in walking distance to down town, can you tell me what areas to avoid specifically?

and we are also interested in the Yacht Club. Seems really nice and close to Delray so we can just drive over. Is it a nice community? Is Hypoluxo considered a safe area? Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 07:31 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
What's your price range? You can get into historic homes in walkable, tree lined neighborhoods with friendly neighbors and right outside of downtown West Palm Beach in Grandview Heights, Flamingo Park, Sunshine Park.

It's not Delray, but it's got character and convenience to downtown amenities while being less than two miles from the beach in Palm Beach, and you'll appreciate the 2 minute commute. Oh yeah, there's also a dog park.

Check out a couple of the listings: Historic Renovated Spanish Mission House (http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/735365765.html - broken link)

HOUSE FOR RENT-- GREAT LOCATION (http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/717131302.html - broken link)

You can also check with a realtor and ask about the area.

Flamingo Park has monthly neighborhood "cocktail hours" hosted at a different person's home each time. The rentals are owner-owned, so you can negotiate for the dog.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What's your price range? You can get into historic homes in walkable, tree lined neighborhoods with friendly neighbors and right outside of downtown West Palm Beach in Grandview Heights, Flamingo Park, Sunshine Park.

It's not Delray, but it's got character and convenience to downtown amenities while being less than two miles from the beach in Palm Beach, and you'll appreciate the 2 minute commute. Oh yeah, there's also a dog park.

Check out a couple of the listings: Historic Renovated Spanish Mission House (http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/735365765.html - broken link)

HOUSE FOR RENT-- GREAT LOCATION (http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/apa/717131302.html - broken link)

You can also check with a realtor and ask about the area.

Flamingo Park has monthly neighborhood "cocktail hours" hosted at a different person's home each time. The rentals are owner-owned, so you can negotiate for the dog.
We are looking anywhere from $1000-1250. Thanks for your advice. The places you mentioned sounds promising! But I heard downtown areas have lots of crime? I don't want to be walking down the street with the baby in a bad neighborhood. Are the places you mentioned away from the ghettos? Dog Park sounds AWESOME! Have to find a place with dog park for sure.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 PM

How about Northwood area? Is that nice?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:54 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmagypsy7 View Post
How about Northwood area? Is that nice?
Northwood is NOT nice. The only "downtown neighborhoods" that I'd recommend are SOUTH of Okeechobee Blvd., so look in the specific areas I mentioned: Grandview Heights, Flamingo Park, El Cid, Sunshine Park, and Southland Park.

The Southern section of West Palm Beach is as safe as Delray Beach, but Northwood is waaaay too close to the really bad parts of West Palm (AKA, the Northern ghettos)....

I woudl recommend scanning craigslist. Type in the neighborhoods above, and/or "Historic" in the search bar in your price range. You can also search for rentals on Realtor.com, or, find a realtor that can help you get rentals.

You can also find 2 bedroom condos IN Cityplace for that price range, if you want a semblence of an urban environment (utility bills are certainly cheaper in a condo, lol)

I say, check out both areas. If you need directions or maps, let me know.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:56 AM

I really appreciate the time you are taking to write back. Thank you!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 56,170 times
Hi,

I think you would also want to consider downtown Lake Worth. We were looking for the same things you mentioned in your post and we found the two places we were considering were downtown Lake Worth and downtown Delray. Lake Worth is a bit funkier and also cheaper. There are plenty of houses for rent in the 1200 range. You will want to be as close to the Intracoastal waterway as possible and stay east of Dixie. The streets run alphabetically and we found the nicest to be "N", "O", and Palmway. Also the area of Lake Worth known as "College Park" was nice. The main lake worth downtown streets are Lake and Lucerne. There are lots of restaurants, bars, shops.

We ended up in downtown Delray. We also have a baby and 2 large dogs, so it is possible!! We did not even have to try very hard. We have had 3 places here so far with no problems. We have paid $950 (dumpy place but great neighborhood, walking distance to beach) 1400 (3 bedroom walking distance to beach) and now $1600 huge new 3 bedroom townhouse right downtown). So you can see there is a range of prices, and don't forget most are negotiable. Look on craigslist! Have a realtor send you listings that take dogs, there are many options you should not have a problem! Your best bet in that price range out east will be in the neighborhood around 7th Ave, George Bush Blvd. ,and behind Swinton/Seacrest North of Atlantic Ave.

We also looked at Yacht Club and almost rented there ourselves. It is a very nice gated development with all the amenities. It has a beautiful pool on the Intracoastal, an additional small pool, playground, nice green space, walking paths, tennis court, movie room, bbq area. There are always tons of rentals in there so I would negotiate. Some are remodeled some are not. It all depends on the owner. Look for a townhouse, we thought those were nicer and larger. The only drawbacks we found were that the units were somewhat small, no garage, and the complex feels a bit like an apartment complex, which may not bother you. For the price, it is the best you will find on the water that also takes large dogs. It also seemed like a nice place for kids.

Feel free to bounce any places/areas off of me, we have looked for rentals that allow pets extensively and are very familiar with the area south of Hypoluxo. I am not sure if it would be possible, but your best bet for downtown Delray is to drive around and look for signs. Most places downtown in your price range just put up a sign. You also have to consider what is most important.. Can you live in a dumpier place but in a great location, or would you rather have a very nice place in farther west?

For us, location was most important. We love being able to walk to the beach and to all of the events. Both Lake Worth and Delray offer this. Delray is just a bit nicer. Feel free to email me and I can help you with specific locations. We have searched extensively for rentals in the area that take pets.

Liz

Last edited by lizzyc1974; 07-10-2008 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 12:01 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,129,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmagypsy7 View Post
We are looking anywhere from $1000-1250. Thanks for your advice. The places you mentioned sounds promising! But I heard downtown areas have lots of crime? I don't want to be walking down the street with the baby in a bad neighborhood. Are the places you mentioned away from the ghettos? Dog Park sounds AWESOME! Have to find a place with dog park for sure.
I can vouch for Grandview Heights, Flamingo Park, they are adorable classic Florida homes and walking/biking distance to downtown. There's also a train downtown.

Yes the Dunbar Village projects are a couple miles north and downtown is not guaranteed to be a totally safe zone but nowhere in the county really is.

The dog park is great and families play softball etc there. You can rent a single home for 1000 to 1250 there. Go through a realtor and I do not recommend Craigs List, some scam artist homeowner got me for $2400.00 for illegally renting out and misrepresenting his duplex on Hollywood Beach and I'll never see the money because he has liens already from previous people.

You have to feel comfortable, but my son and gf and GREAT DANE are renting in Grandview Heights and very happy with it. Great little house, yard with privacy tall fence, detached garage and the owner pays for the lawn maintenance. Two cars fit in the driveway. The park is two blocks away.

No incidents have happened and the police are nice they drive around alot and are friendly. The beach is close and City Place has alot to offer on a daily basis in terms of a quick meal out, variety, shopping and some city ambiance but still near the water.

If you had a school aged kid I might wonder, but with a baby you should be fine, imo.

Some crackhead punched a guy in the face downtown and stole his bike but you hear alot of random stuff like that everywhere. And it's possible the victim was another crackhead there's alot of crackhead on crackhead crime around all over LOL. The Boca RAton Mall has had two abductions of moms with kids UNSOLVED ....so it's all how you "feel" about where you look I guess.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 56,170 times
I forgot to mention maybe checking if there are any rentals in a community called Kokomo Key in Delray, right on Federal just north of George Bush Blvd. They are townhouses on the Intracoastal. It is a gated community and biking distance to the beach and downtown Delray. I think they are in your price range, (close to 1200) and I think they do allow dogs. A realtor will be able to help you with that community.

If you don't care about being on the water but want to be near downtown you might also want to check out Mirabella Villas. It is a condo community that takes pets biking distance from downtown.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyc1974 View Post
I forgot to mention maybe checking if there are any rentals in a community called Kokomo Key in Delray, right on Federal just north of George Bush Blvd. They are townhouses on the Intracoastal. It is a gated community and biking distance to the beach and downtown Delray. I think they are in your price range, (close to 1200) and I think they do allow dogs. A realtor will be able to help you with that community.

If you don't care about being on the water but want to be near downtown you might also want to check out Mirabella Villas. It is a condo community that takes pets biking distance from downtown.

Thanks everyone for your advice, especially Liz for all your suggestions. We found a nice duplex in Delray Beach. It's just what we are looking for. We love it here so far. The beach is quite a hike but downtown and Pineapple Grove is within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach