U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:10 AM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 672,115 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV0As0c7k68
This Is Belle Glade

Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM

32 posts, read 159,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny561 View Post
Belle glade is bad and you cannot deny that. and when you say you have some bad sections of town you mean you have some nice sections of town. 75% of belle glade is bad. ive been there, i know people there, and the only nice neighborhood i can think of is what my friends call "White Town".
Lived here most of my life and have never heard of any section of town refered to as "White Town". I don't think there is a single neighborhood in town that entirely white.

I never said Belle Glade doesn't have some serious problems. I am just giving a counter to some of the outrageous posts I have seen on this board.

Basically I am just saying
It's not a shanty town - we have electricity and running water. Even indoor plumbing.
There are no slave quarters here and never have been. Slavery was abolished before the Glades were even settled.
There are people that live here by choice. There is no big Berlin wall keeping us here.

Every city has problems. We have more then our share. However like almost anything there are redeeming qualities. Sometimes you just have to look around.

I for example could afford to move to Wellington. For many reasons I choose to live here instead.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Old 09-20-2008, 04:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,489,536 times
Quote:
Wow. I am a native English speaker and I have no idea what they're saying for most of this video! And everytime I think that the "n-word" and its hateful history is finally coming to the end of its slow death, I see clowns like this using it in every sentence that they utter...

About the safety and desirability of Belle Glade, there are plenty of safe, middle class black areas in South Florida, but Belle Glade is NOT one of them. People like to joke about parts of South Florida being like the Third World, and parts of Belle Glade might actually qualify for deserving that label!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 AM

parts of belle glade, west palm, riviera, lake worth, boynton beach, delray, pahokee, south bay, pampano, ft lauderdale, carol city, opa locka, miami, ft. pierce, deerfield, hallandale, lauderhill, hollywood, north miami, hialeah, and any i missed look like 3rd world countries. People livin with no electricity, maybe running water, you can buy any drug you want next door, you can get any gun made on the other side of the street, and if youre lucky you might even see a dead body dumped off in an alley.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,370,993 times
AIDS capital of the U.S.

Big Sugar is out there I believe. Probably exploiting illegal immigrants.

Yeah, it's bad.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM

haitians come up here from the poorest country in the world and it shows on our state. most of them arent used to living in a society like the US, and crazy things go on down there. people getting murdered everyday, the police dont do anything. thats why crime is so high, besides the economy. people need to get money anyway they can, whether drug dealing, robbin, a lot of the youth in the hood can't find a job anywhere so its what they have to resort to.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 21,105 times
I was considering applying for a teaching job in Belle Glade. Then I read some of the posts here. Now I'm not so sure. How far away would I have to commute so I could live in an upscale apartment, and have easy access to a health club, malls, and other modern living conveniences? I noticed Royal Palm Beach-West Jupiter is 30 miles away from Belle Glade on the map. Does anyone know this area, and how practical the commute from there to Belle Glade would be?

Old 10-02-2008, 04:37 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,370,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs08 View Post
I was considering applying for a teaching job in Belle Glade. Then I read some of the posts here. Now I'm not so sure. How far away would I have to commute so I could live in an upscale apartment, and have easy access to a health club, malls, and other modern living conveniences? I noticed Royal Palm Beach-West Jupiter is 30 miles away from Belle Glade on the map. Does anyone know this area, and how practical the commute from there to Belle Glade would be?
I spent part of my growing up in Jupiter Farms. But also built a home in Royal Palm at one point.

You want to be in Jupiter/Tequesta or Jupiter Farms, but not Royal Palm Beach (which isn't near a beach BTW). Royal Palm, I've been told is going Haitian. Haven't been there in over a decade though, so can't be sure. But I had 5 break ins in 2 years in RPB.

Barry Grunow was a Jupiter High Grad. He was teaching at Lake Worth, which isn't half as bad as Belle Glade. Google on "Barry Grunow, Nathaniel Brazil".

Or better yet...

http://www.local10.com/news/773647/detail.html (broken link)

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/LAW/05/....03/index.html

http://www.courttv.com/trials/brazill/050301_ctv.html

You be the judge.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM

1,555 posts, read 3,713,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs08 View Post
I grew up in Royal Palm Beach, my parents still live in the second-oldest section of it (and I visit them often), and I'm working on moving back to that area soon--maybe in three or four months. The area is fine.

There are a number of different communities there, with the three "umbrella" areas being Wellington, Loxahatchee and Royal Palm Beach. Each has different sections, with different types of housing, from relatively affordable (and you can get some great buys on houses there now) to VERY expensive--you can buy properties in the millions in areas of Wellington for example, as Bruce Springsteen just did (supposedly for his daughter, who enjoys playing polo--Wellington is a famous location for that).

Most of Royal Palm Beach is a very mixed community ethnically now (moreso than Wellington and Loxahatchee), but also very middle class. Wellington is a bit more upscale and yuppie, Loxahatchee (and the RPB Acreage) is a bit more redneck. Some areas, like Loxahatchee, have no apartments, but you could rent a house. There are plenty of apartments, townhouses for rent, etc. in both Royal Palm and Wellington, and there are apartments with gyms, tennis courts, etc.

It's not at all a bad commute from there to Belle Glade, and many places that you could live are slightly closer than 30 miles to Belle Glade. The commute is on a mostly straight, flat, four lane road that has relatively light traffic--the heavier traffic is from east of those communities (heading towards West Palm Beach "proper") and pretty much ends at those three communities on the western end. Depending on exactly where in Belle Glade you have to go (and exactly where you're starting from), your travel time door to door should be about 30 minutes--maybe less, maybe a bit more.

Good luck with it though, as Belle Glade has a LOT of socio-economic problems, and I can imagine that teaching there wouldn't be a walk in the park, but it might also be more rewarding if you can make some progress. I would consider teaching there, too. Maybe you can do a "Freedom Writers" kind of transformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach