U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM
 
257 posts, read 710,041 times
Reputation: 83
Default Belle Glade

So i had a roommate from Belle Glade last year. he swore up and down that Belle Glade was the roughest area of south florida. he also said pahokee and clewiston were all considered "muck city"

Is this area that bad? or is it just underdeveloped and farms? City data does show that is poverty stricken, but its very small towns. So i just wanted to know specifically about Belle Glade, your experience, what you have learned or heard or been through, and the south lakes area that include clewiston, pahokee and belle glade


so give it to me straight!

 
Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Canton, GA
245 posts, read 838,724 times
Reputation: 171
Yes, it really is that bad. There is a prison right off the highway (can't think of the name though) One of the father's of a boy on my son's football team coached at the High School. He said that most of the kids had a rap sheet and were of single parent homes living in slums. It's just a sad fact of life.
 
Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
 
Location: O-Town
1,782 posts, read 4,665,122 times
Reputation: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2LiveNCities View Post
So i had a roommate from Belle Glade last year. he swore up and down that Belle Glade was the roughest area of south florida. he also said pahokee and clewiston were all considered "muck city"

Is this area that bad? or is it just underdeveloped and farms? City data does show that is poverty stricken, but its very small towns. So i just wanted to know specifically about Belle Glade, your experience, what you have learned or heard or been through, and the south lakes area that include clewiston, pahokee and belle glade


so give it to me straight!

Go down and see for yourself, those places look like the slums of hati.
 
Old 08-27-2008, 01:47 PM
 
32 posts, read 110,377 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
There is a prison right off the highway (can't think of the name though)
Glades Correctional Institute on the west side of the road and a Palm Beach County facility on the east side.

While certainly not pretty and not something most towns would print on a tourist brochure. Having a prison just outside of town(neither are actually in Belle Glade) it's really not a bad deal for a small town.

The prison has very few escapes. I have lived a few miles from the prison for years and I don't remember a single case of violence by an escaped prison.

The prison provides many jobs. Actually a place many woman some single mothers can work for more then many surrounding jobs pay.

So the logic that because a town has a prison close by it's a "bad place" kind of escapes me.

There are also prisons outside of Southbay and Moore Haven. I would say most people are glad they are there. They do provide jobs with little downside to the community.
 
Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 5,538,852 times
Reputation: 473
Belle Glade is not considered bad because of a nearby prison. Hell, Doral, arguably Miami's best traditional suburb, has a prison in it for crying out loud. It's the crime, run down appearance, and poverty that makes Belle Glade a bad place to live.

It's a place you only live in if you're forced to. I'd challenge you to find anyone that lives there because they want to.
 
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM
 
8,377 posts, read 19,892,989 times
Reputation: 2222
The Broward County Jail is right in the middle of one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the US, lol. And it has pretty sculptures behind it and a nice view of the river and mansions.
 
Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
 
13 posts, read 39,714 times
Reputation: 20
The Palm Beach County Jail overlooks Trump International Golf Club. The Belle Glade Municipal Golf Course does not have to ferilize fairways because the soil is so naturally fertile there. I think I may retire out there, grow tomatoes and fish in Lake O!
 
Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 AM
 
32 posts, read 110,377 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
It's a place you only live in if you're forced to. I'd challenge you to find anyone that lives there because they want to.
That's an easy challenge. I live there by choice. I live in a nice safe neighborhood. I raised my children there. I know most of my neighbors. Many of us have lived in this neighborhood for years.

I have a 5 minute commute to work. How many people can say that? I have a good job that would be hard to replace if I lived else where.

Granted there is not a lot of night time type entertainment here. If I want to go to a movie, shopping or to a nice restaurant I have to go a few miles. But it's only a 35 minute drive over to Wellington or Royal Palm and it's all 4lane uncrowded road most of the way.

Sure we have some bad sections of town. Most cities do. But we also have some nice neighborhoods.

Sure we have a ton of problems, again most cities do, but it's not a bad place like most of the posters make out on this forum.

It might surprise you. I have lived here most of my life. I or none of my family has ever been a victim of a crime. My house has never been broken in to. I feel safe in most parts of the city. In fact I feel safer in most of Belle Glade then I do many sections of WPB, Lake Worth, etc.

Not trying to give anyone a Chamber of Commerce spiel. I am not saying you would like it here. Lots of people don't, but lots of people do like it here and live here by choice.
 
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 AM
 
32 posts, read 110,377 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The Broward County Jail is right in the middle of one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the US, lol. And it has pretty sculptures behind it and a nice view of the river and mansions.
Is that the one you can see from the New River? We stayed at a Hotel on Las Olas Blvd and took the water taxi. I remember seeing a big building that looked strange because of the windows. It was right in the middle of a bunch of luxury condos and hotels right on the water.
 
Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 447,932 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
That's an easy challenge. I live there by choice. I live in a nice safe neighborhood. I raised my children there. I know most of my neighbors. Many of us have lived in this neighborhood for years.

I have a 5 minute commute to work. How many people can say that? I have a good job that would be hard to replace if I lived else where.

Granted there is not a lot of night time type entertainment here. If I want to go to a movie, shopping or to a nice restaurant I have to go a few miles. But it's only a 35 minute drive over to Wellington or Royal Palm and it's all 4lane uncrowded road most of the way.

Sure we have some bad sections of town. Most cities do. But we also have some nice neighborhoods.

Sure we have a ton of problems, again most cities do, but it's not a bad place like most of the posters make out on this forum.

It might surprise you. I have lived here most of my life. I or none of my family has ever been a victim of a crime. My house has never been broken in to. I feel safe in most parts of the city. In fact I feel safer in most of Belle Glade then I do many sections of WPB, Lake Worth, etc.

Not trying to give anyone a Chamber of Commerce spiel. I am not saying you would like it here. Lots of people don't, but lots of people do like it here and live here by choice.
Belle glade is bad and you cannot deny that. and when you say you have some bad sections of town you mean you have some nice sections of town. 75% of belle glade is bad. ive been there, i know people there, and the only nice neighborhood i can think of is what my friends call "White Town".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top