U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 39,749 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to West Palm from PA. I'm very interested in Cityside Condos in downtown West Palm. They are a great value right now. The only problem is the area around the development (it is gated with security) does not seem very good. Some people have told me to stay away. My realtor tells me the area is up and coming and really improving. Does anyone know anything about this? Any advice or recommendation is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 04:38 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,202,393 times
Have you been there? My son lives in WPB the "actual" downtown and I just moved here from Phila. But been coming here my whole life. I'm in the buyers market but waiting for next year.

I didn't recognize the name and I was just there last week ....but I'm not expert on all the condo names. BUT in googling it, I find it to be NOT downtown but up near the mall about 5 miles away. You need to take I95 to get to downtown. What's the point, imo. If I'm looking at the right place. I know that mall but not the living areas around it. I'll drive by though, next week when I go down there....

I have to say a realtor will tell you EVERYTHING is a big value now.

You need to come here and RENT. There are fantastic rentals DIRECTLY in DOWNTOWN at City Place. You can walk to great shopping, Publix, parks, water very close by, restaurants and culture like the Kravitz center. Then you can take your time finding where you want to buy. If you buy now, you are risking a potentially depreciating asset, and being stuck with something you cant sell if you want to change your location.

There are MANY nice condos/properties all over the place now and all still dropping in price.

Up and coming is never good down here for a single person (woman?) relocating from PA. You can't judge that. You need to live here. Come spend time here and really get to know the place. You need a job, or be independently set, or an exit strategy and back up plan. Florida is in a tricky place right now with no jobs. low paying jobs, bad real estate market and other woes......

I would never move in UP and COMING in Florida right now because there are too many renters, transients and foreclosures to predict anything about any neighborhood except the ones on the beach or intracoastal or the very exclusive neighborhoods that are established and will retain their value imo. (without RENTERS even though i am one).

Frankly looking at the townhouses on a fake lake, ("vast lake views" a real Florida TRICK for a retention basin).....I don't see it as UP and Coming no offense. Up and coming is the real downtown where you can find everything you need without a car and there is public transportation there too!

There are SIXTY ONE of them
on one of my favorite real estate sites, Expert Realty. The prices are really in a big range and I'm looking at the listings and a couple of them are not in what I'd consider "showing condition" meaning the people aren't in great shape. (but that's just my internal judgement when I look at a neighborhood, I'm picky with my hard earned money lol).

They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-09-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 39,749 times
Yeah, I did look at them. My realtor took and showed me some of them. They are really nice. I must admit I was amazed at the price for a such a large, new place. Of course, I'm from Philadelphia were a comparable place would be 200-300% higher. You are likely dispensing good advice as far as renting. I have always been against it as I would rather be putting money in my own pocket, however the current market there probably requires a different mind set. You are correct, it is not in the immediate vicinity of downtown, but very, very close.

Good luck to you and thanks for the advice.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:41 PM

You don't wanna live up there believe me. RENT. You can get a beautiful place on the beach or Intracoastal and really feel like you're in Florida even if it's short term. Three or six months. Look at Jupiter. On water. Good luck to you too!

(prices are not stabilized yet, whatever you buy for is lost money by the time you hit your bottom floor IMO)

Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,701,546 times
Cityside's greatest problem is that it has a lot of transient renters. When I was searching for places in West Palm Beach, we drove around.... LOTS of young people were around, barbecuing outside their house, partying.... we decided not to live there because quite frankly, I needed a quieter, more "mature" place to live... and I'm not old!

A young lawyer in my firm, however, has lived in Cityside for a few months now and says he likes it, and is in the process of buying his unit for a foreclosure deal or something at 190k ("bubble" prices at Cityside were at or around 500k)....so opinions do vary. I didn't let him know my own opinion of his neighborhood, though, as he obviously has more experience living there than me.

You CAN get downtown from there without going to 95, but you have to kinda take a loop from Palm Beach Lakes to Australian Blvd, then turn on Banyan or exit at Okeechobee Blvd.

Oh, and the Palm Beach Mall right across the street isn't very nice. Most people avoid it after dark and many of the locals refer to it as "murder mall."

Also, don't let your realtor try to get you to invest in "workforce housing" at 'Merry Place' downtown, either. Just don't, lol.

I don't know what price range you are in, but there are also condos just South of Okeechobee Blvd. in Grandview Heights that are now in the low 200s. They are walking distance to downtown/Cityplace. Grandview Heights IS an area that is mostly already "up and came," but still has a couple bargains..... even single family houses with yards.... for 190ish.

I'm actually hoping that the downturning market will HELP neighborhoods in the area, as good, working people and young professionals like my colleague can BUY at reasonable prices, rather than flippers throwing tenants in whilst waiting to sell.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 31,224 times
We currently live at the Prado in downtown WPB - and we rent. We considered Cityside but decided against it for the following reasons.
The areas around it are really not nice. They are areas that my husband would not let me walk around by myself at night, and actually he prefers if I dont drive through there at night either.
The mall across the street is fine in the daytime, although there isnt much shopping available besides mom&pop off-brand stores and some really small department stores although there is a DSW. They have talked about tearing it down and redoing it but I am not sure of the status.
If you want a great deal on a property that is a short drive to downtown - then cityside might be a good investment. But it is definitely not the safest area close to downtown.

Hope this rambled message helps.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Cityside's greatest problem is that it has a lot of transient renters. When I was searching for places in West Palm Beach, we drove around.... LOTS of young people were around, barbecuing outside their house, partying.... we decided not to live there because quite frankly, I needed a quieter, more "mature" place to live... and I'm not old!

A young lawyer in my firm, however, has lived in Cityside for a few months now and says he likes it, and is in the process of buying his unit for a foreclosure deal or something at 190k ("bubble" prices at Cityside were at or around 500k)....so opinions do vary. I didn't let him know my own opinion of his neighborhood, though, as he obviously has more experience living there than me.

You CAN get downtown from there without going to 95, but you have to kinda take a loop from Palm Beach Lakes to Australian Blvd, then turn on Banyan or exit at Okeechobee Blvd.

Oh, and the Palm Beach Mall right across the street isn't very nice. Most people avoid it after dark and many of the locals refer to it as "murder mall."

Also, don't let your realtor try to get you to invest in "workforce housing" at 'Merry Place' downtown, either. Just don't, lol.

I don't know what price range you are in, but there are also condos just South of Okeechobee Blvd. in Grandview Heights that are now in the low 200s. They are walking distance to downtown/Cityplace. Grandview Heights IS an area that is mostly already "up and came," but still has a couple bargains..... even single family houses with yards.... for 190ish.

I'm actually hoping that the downturning market will HELP neighborhoods in the area, as good, working people and young professionals like my colleague can BUY at reasonable prices, rather than flippers throwing tenants in whilst waiting to sell.

YUP, my son is is in one of those single homes not too far from Howard Park and I love your neighborhoods every time I go down there. Just waiting for the right time and am seriously considering buying there.

TRiMT7 if you are/or know an experience Florida attorney in real estate law would you please dm me in case I decide to buy down there? thanks

Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 PM

85 posts, read 358,252 times
Just remember to get a home owner's insurance quote before you buy. Some condos have their own insurance, but just 2x check this before you sign. Rates are high east of 95, and the closer to the water you are, (and if you are in frame construction), you are a higher liability, thus, a higher rate.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,142 times
Hi, I lived in CitySide for over 3 years now and I love it. The prices are really stable and there are only like 15 units for sale. It is by far the best price per square feet in wpb. The Condominium is very financially stable and the new board has really turned the association around and made it financially stable. I would definately recomend it!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 14,519 times
Default good buy? are you kidding me

I lived here for a bit. the area is without doubt collapsing. it has no jobs, prices are still ridiculously high because the schiller report is expecting another 30% at least over the next 2-3 years. That is if the economy holds stable. WPB is a party place for 20 year olds. Don't fool yourself. You shouldn't buy here unless you run an internet business and it doesnt matter where you are but then again you mine as well be in miami at that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach