U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,001 times

Advertisements

I have been reading all the posts about West Palm Beach and there has been no mention of the Northwood or Old Northwood neighborhoods as being either good or bad. Does anyone out there know what these areas are like?

The reason I ask is that my husband and I are looking for a vacation property in South Florida and we really like the older Spanish Colonial or Mediterranean style houses. We are sort of design snobs and are not into the cookie cutter, sterile experience of the gated communities. I like the idea of a real house on a real street in a real neighborhood, not some builders idea of one.

We are in our mid forties and have 2 children age 6 and 8. Our income bracket is middle class or maybe upper middle. The idea is for us to use the house as much as possible in the winter and to rent it out to tourists or visitors when we are not there. We live and work in Toronto.

Any thoughts on how workable this idea is? Is there a market for short term renters for an historic West Palm house like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,640,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-fromTO View Post
I have been reading all the posts about West Palm Beach and there has been no mention of the Northwood or Old Northwood neighborhoods as being either good or bad. Does anyone out there know what these areas are like?

The reason I ask is that my husband and I are looking for a vacation property in South Florida and we really like the older Spanish Colonial or Mediterranean style houses. We are sort of design snobs and are not into the cookie cutter, sterile experience of the gated communities. I like the idea of a real house on a real street in a real neighborhood, not some builders idea of one.

We are in our mid forties and have 2 children age 6 and 8. Our income bracket is middle class or maybe upper middle. The idea is for us to use the house as much as possible in the winter and to rent it out to tourists or visitors when we are not there. We live and work in Toronto.

Any thoughts on how workable this idea is? Is there a market for short term renters for an historic West Palm house like this?

Here's the deal with Northwood:

Personally, I love some of the Northwood neighborhoods (south of 45th Street), east of Broadway. Going east/west, the lower the block number, the better. I believe it's the "500" block that borders right onto Broadway, and is less desirable.

The problem a lot of people have with Northwood is that you have to be an urban pioneer to feel comfortable there. Once you leave the confines of the neighborhood, it's definitely an area "in transition" - very very run down, and bordering right next to Riviera Beach - once you get out of the better Northwood neighborhoods, but yes, the neighborhood itself and homes are very beautiful. The little northwood commercial strip also has some neat little restaurants and shops (like Hello Cupcake!, Allora, Cafe Centro, China Beach Bistro and Relish).

Homes are cheaper in Northwood than in the other historic areas of the city because of the location. If you're not comfortable with that, but are still looking for the real neighborhood feel, you have a number of other historic neighborhoods in West Palm Beach in which to expand your search. Zip code 33401 (South of Okeechobee Blvd.) and zip code 33405 (East of Dixie Highway).

The short term rental market during "season" (winter) is strong.... if you're talking about weekly rentals, etc., many people rent out their homes on VRBO, etc.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 AM

585 posts, read 1,218,155 times
I had a quick look at both zip codes & Flamingo Park via Google Maps, I think Flamingo Park looks nicer than those 2 zip codes, but I could be wrong as I only randomly picked 3 intersections of EACH zip code to look at (based on the boundaries you mentioned, South of 45, East of Broadway ...), and then looked at Flamingo Park (I also randomly picked 3 intersections in Flamingo Park).

I particularly like/love this intersection in Flamingo Park:
Medina way & Valencia road, right beside the intracoastal, what a beautiful neighbourhood ! I particularly like/love the property right on the intersection with 2 LAYERS green shrub fences (3 feet & 6 feet respectively) across the front of the property and a white entrance gate, then 2 royal palm trees inside the property. I wonder how much properties of the same quality sell for in the same neighbourhood within 50 feet or so to the intracoastal ?

Just double checked using Google Maps, properties behind the double layer fences look like townhouses to me and there are different numbers on the green fences indicating different unit numbers.

Thanks !

Last edited by Snowbird100; 11-29-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 AM

I think I made a mistake ! The neighbourhood I was talking about (Medina/Valencia) near the intracoastal is called El Cid, but Flamingo Park is nice too.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,001 times
TriMT7

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post about Old Northwood. I'm sure I can handle being an "Urban Pioneer", have done it in the past in Toronto.

I have a back up offer in on a house right in the heart of Old Northwood but will only get the house if the person before me falls through. I will check out the other zip codes you gave when I get a chance.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Here's the deal with Northwood:

Personally, I love some of the Northwood neighborhoods (south of 45th Street), east of Broadway. Going east/west, the lower the block number, the better. I believe it's the "500" block that borders right onto Broadway, and is less desirable.

The problem a lot of people have with Northwood is that you have to be an urban pioneer to feel comfortable there. Once you leave the confines of the neighborhood, it's definitely an area "in transition" - very very run down, and bordering right next to Riviera Beach - once you get out of the better Northwood neighborhoods, but yes, the neighborhood itself and homes are very beautiful. The little northwood commercial strip also has some neat little restaurants and shops (like Hello Cupcake!, Allora, Cafe Centro, China Beach Bistro and Relish).

Homes are cheaper in Northwood than in the other historic areas of the city because of the location. If you're not comfortable with that, but are still looking for the real neighborhood feel, you have a number of other historic neighborhoods in West Palm Beach in which to expand your search. Zip code 33401 (South of Okeechobee Blvd.) and zip code 33405 (East of Dixie Highway).

The short term rental market during "season" (winter) is strong.... if you're talking about weekly rentals, etc., many people rent out their homes on VRBO, etc.
I have done more research last night and this morning, and yes, Northwood (Old Northwood) and Northwood Shores have historic properties, however this neighbourhood is surrounded by very very run down neighbourhoods, and next to the notorious Riviera Beach.

Personally, after more research, I feel very comfortable living in Flamingo Park and of course the even better neighbourhood of El Cid (intracoastal) which is very nice but the prices are more expensive than Flamingo Park.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,640,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I have done more research last night and this morning, and yes, Northwood (Old Northwood) and Northwood Shores have historic properties, however this neighbourhood is surrounded by very very run down neighbourhoods, and next to the notorious Riviera Beach.

Personally, after more research, I feel very comfortable living in Flamingo Park and of course the even better neighbourhood of El Cid (intracoastal) which is very nice but the prices are more expensive than Flamingo Park.

Yes, El Cid is very beautiful, and very expensive! Prospect Park and Southland Park (going south from El Cid, east of Dixie) have a similar feel, still historic, but less expensive and more middle class.

Here is a pretty good general reference of neighborhoods in ACTUAL West Palm Beach:

Neighborhood Services - West Palm Beach, FL

The big gated subdivisions (Ibis, Andros Isle, Riverwalk, etc. are not on that list, but are located in the far western portions of the city. A bit bland for my part, but I have a couple of friends that live out that way who enjoy it. It's more... "new Florida" lol.

EDIT: Flamingo Park is having its annual Holiday Home Tour this Sunday! Tickets are $25, and include catered food and snacks, much of it from local restaurants, and drinks (wine, soda, etc.) at each house on the tour. Trolley service has been available the past couple years to fetter guests through the neighborhood. Hundreds of people usually enjoy the tour, and it's a tradition that my friends from out of town have come to enjoy each year. Information: http://www.flamingopark.net

Last edited by TriMT7; 11-30-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, El Cid is very beautiful, and very expensive! Prospect Park and Southland Park (going south from El Cid, east of Dixie) have a similar feel, still historic, but less expensive and more middle class.

Here is a pretty good general reference of neighborhoods in ACTUAL West Palm Beach:

Neighborhood Services - West Palm Beach, FL

The big gated subdivisions (Ibis, Andros Isle, Riverwalk, etc. are not on that list, but are located in the far western portions of the city. A bit bland for my part, but I have a couple of friends that live out that way who enjoy it. It's more... "new Florida" lol.

EDIT: Flamingo Park is having its annual Holiday Home Tour this Sunday! Tickets are $25, and include catered food and snacks, much of it from local restaurants, and drinks (wine, soda, etc.) at each house on the tour. Trolley service has been available the past couple years to fetter guests through the neighborhood. Hundreds of people usually enjoy the tour, and it's a tradition that my friends from out of town have come to enjoy each year. Information: Flamingo Park Neighborhood Association - Welcome
Thanks for the Neighbourhood Services link, I found it very useful as I don't have to "guess" the boundaries of each neighbourhood anymore, and makes it easier to know the names of each neighbourhoods.

I also like the little corner chopped off from Flamingo Park, will check out that later, what's the name again ? Sunshine Park.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM

261 posts, read 620,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-fromTO View Post

I don't have as much experience as TriMT7 and honestly haven't been to the neighborhood you guys are talking about, but since you guys have kids, I just wanted to say be careful with the whole urban pioneer thing in West Palm. We came here from Denver with a daughter who is now 4, and safety is definitely more of a concern than it was for us there. We are a lot more careful about going to areas we aren't familiar with, time of day, etc. This all comes from personal experiences, not just freaking out over stuff posted on the internet. It could be a great up and coming area, but I'd make sure to spend a lot of time there and check out the areas you'd be shopping in at different times, etc before you buy something. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM

3,913 posts, read 7,960,759 times
Quote:
Actually, it IS fairly cut and dry.

This is nonsense. Cityplace itself is pretty much busy every night of the week, and Clematis Street is definitely not a ghost town.

When was the last time you were actually in West Palm Beach? Have you ever LIVED in West Palm Beach? If so, when?

The entire south end of the city, east of 95, is not crime ridden. There is a large immigrant community south of Belvedere, west of Dixie Highway, and people who do not like living near Hispanics may have a problem, but there is no reason to feel unsafe in any of those areas.

First, the rent on a downtown condo is comparable to most of the rental stock in Gardens, Jupiter, Boca, etc.

Second, there are several miles of well kept, beautiful neighborhoods in the southend that are excellent places to live. In fact, thousands of people live in those neighborhoods. Middle class, upper class, working class... professionals, business owners, snowbirds, retirees... even socialites with second homes. Anyone coming from any real city in the Northeast will see no problem living in West Palm Beach, because South Dixie Highway (which serves as one of the main commercial drag in the southern part of the city) is lined with shops, restaurants, etc. that remind me of my old hometown in New Jersey, surrounded on either side with residential neighborhoods.

Third, Delray Beach has a higher crime rate per capita than West Palm Beach! (which, by the way, is less than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. etc.)... AND concentrated in some pretty well known areas of the city!

BUT, Snowbird is looking at gated developments anyway, so one of the suburbs will be a better fit anyway, unless he/she chooses to move to one of West Palm's western gated communities (city limits) such as Ibis, Riverwalk, or Andros Isles (which, along with the Villages area, appears to escape your sweeping generalization of life within city limits!)
TriMT7-

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem because you twisted my words around. I have lived in the area for most of my childhood and I know the neighborhoods inside out. I have also been there often recently. I am not sure where to begin disecting your responses. It seems you disagree just to disagree.

I very clearly said Clematis is vibrant with you people and nightlife, but that the areas around Clematis street are a ghost town except during business hours. Clematis Street is a small strip that has a handful of nightclubs, bars, and restaurants. It runs maybe 2-3 blocks and then becomes desolate at night. As you walk more than 2 blocks any direction from Clematis Street it is also desolate.

Cityplace is located in a different area and does not connect with the Clematis Street area. From Cityplace north, the neighborhoods get very very bad. Tamarind Avenue is dangerous to drive through.

Pretty much the entire northern half of the city of West Palm Beach is bad. Then once you go further north you have Riviera Beach which is even worse!

You also imply that I think the south side of downtown is bad because of Hispanic people? Classic race card tactic. First, how do you know I am not Hispanic? 2nd, I have been to all of these areas. I pulled over to eat my lunch on the south side just off US1 and a Hooker was banging on my car window at 6AM. She tried ripping my door open.

The southern half of West Palm is not as bad as the northern half, but it just seedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach