U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 PM
 
Location: 77380
56 posts, read 95,568 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

Not a native but my husband grew up in WPB/Lake Worth and I'm a product of inner city Chicago. PBC in general is as another poster said, "nuanced." Also IMHO very unpredictable. I am used to clearly understood boundaries as to good vs. bad neighborhoods - Chicago is still the most segregated city in America - but we've noticed in the last 5 years of living in PBC that even the "bad" areas are blurring lines into good. My SIL lives in Royal Palm near Okechobee & 441, in what used to be considered a great area for young families. Now it's riddled with broken down cars, unkempt houses and lots of teen/young adult kids of all stripes hanging out on street corners. I think the lack of confrontation/eye contact in S FL makes this problem worse. You don't look at anyone "bad" to avoid conflict, but by the time you do it's everywhere and you're outnumbered. So it is hard to label any one area "good" or "bad" here - except the obvious like Riviera (Federal from Good Samaritan Hospital north) and pockets of bad in Lake Worth, WPB, etc.

It's sad to see PBC becoming Broward County in the space of five short years. Personally we live in Delray just west of the "bad" patch and have never had a problem (touch wood). But then again an 80-something gentleman was beaten & hit by a car in the Target parking lot not 2 miles from us on a Saturday AM in broad daylight, by a 40-something snowbird from the Northeast who felt he waited too long for the man's parking spot. It's the rush to anger/aggression that makes it hard to recommend PBC in blanket statements anymore. I actually felt safer riding public trains in Chicago on the West Side than I do walking through Cityplace on a Friday night. The potential for violence to break out anytime, anywhere is thick in the air here and that is a huge change from years ago.

My two cents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
 
585 posts, read 1,220,967 times
Reputation: 180
> I actually felt safer riding public trains in Chicago on the West Side than I do walking through Cityplace on a Friday night. The potential for violence to break out anytime, anywhere is thick in the air here and that is a huge change from years ago.

Could you elaborate more about the above statement ? Is CityPlace becoming "less safe" ?

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM
 
585 posts, read 1,220,967 times
Reputation: 180
Also, it's scary !

Police identify man found shot to death outside Boynton Beach apartment

Police identify man found shot to death outside Boynton Beach apartment.

She said police were called to the apartments at 701 Rider Road at 2:19 a.m., where officers found a blood trail that lead them to Veasey face down on the second floor landing.

************************************************** *********************

I viewed the Rider Road area using Google Maps, and saw that apartment. Does anyone know about that neighbourhood in Boynton Beach ? Is it an unsafe neighbourhood ?

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 PM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,662,432 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
> I actually felt safer riding public trains in Chicago on the West Side than I do walking through Cityplace on a Friday night. The potential for violence to break out anytime, anywhere is thick in the air here and that is a huge change from years ago.

Could you elaborate more about the above statement ? Is CityPlace becoming "less safe" ?

Thanks !

Anyone who feels "unsafe" at Cityplace is usually referring to black teenagers.

Again, if black people or assorted minorities scare you, South Florida is not for you. Feeling safer on the West side of Chicago v. Cityplace?! HA! Pure hyperbole. My 53 year old boss and close colleague live IN Cityplace. They don't just "walk through." Neither of them have ever complained about feeling "unsafe" where they live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,662,432 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Also, it's scary !
I viewed the Rider Road area using Google Maps, and saw that apartment. Does anyone know about that neighbourhood in Boynton Beach ? Is it an unsafe neighbourhood ?

Thanks !
Why is it scary? The victim is/was most likely involved in shady dealings:


BOYNTON BEACH — Police continue to investigate the shooting death of a 52-year-old man who was killed Monday morning outside his Boynton Beach apartment.

Police identified him as Vincent Veasey, a man who has had more than 30 years of run-ins with the law, for charges ranging from grand theft to possession of marijuana, according to jail records.



I don't know much about that area, though it is right of MLK Blvd., and you know what Chris Rock says about MLK Blvd anywhere in the country, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fla
1,888 posts, read 7,138,618 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Anyone who feels "unsafe" at Cityplace is usually referring to black teenagers.

Again, if black people or assorted minorities scare you, South Florida is not for you. Feeling safer on the West side of Chicago v. Cityplace?! HA! Pure hyperbole. My 53 year old boss and close colleague live IN Cityplace. They don't just "walk through." Neither of them have ever complained about feeling "unsafe" where they live!
Yes, I have to agree....that comment about CityPlace vs. Chicago is a bit of a stretch. I think perception over reality was getting the best of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 AM
 
585 posts, read 1,220,967 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Anyone who feels "unsafe" at Cityplace is usually referring to black teenagers.

Again, if black people or assorted minorities scare you, South Florida is not for you. Feeling safer on the West side of Chicago v. Cityplace?! HA! Pure hyperbole. My 53 year old boss and close colleague live IN Cityplace. They don't just "walk through." Neither of them have ever complained about feeling "unsafe" where they live!
Hi,

Thank you for the clarification.

I was thinking close to a million of Canadians spend the winter in some southern states, and a lot of Canadians from around Toronto to Quebec go to the East coast of Florida, how could it be "less safe" in places like City Place ?

Toronto has all kinds of people with different backgrounds living together, and I am comfortable with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 AM
 
585 posts, read 1,220,967 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why is it scary? The victim is/was most likely involved in shady dealings:


BOYNTON BEACH Police continue to investigate the shooting death of a 52-year-old man who was killed Monday morning outside his Boynton Beach apartment.

Police identified him as Vincent Veasey, a man who has had more than 30 years of run-ins with the law, for charges ranging from grand theft to possession of marijuana, according to jail records.



I don't know much about that area, though it is right of MLK Blvd., and you know what Chris Rock says about MLK Blvd anywhere in the country, lol.
Just found out more about the deceased. Possession of cocaine was one of the 4 charges in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 AM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,662,432 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Hi,

Thank you for the clarification.

I was thinking close to a million of Canadians spend the winter in some southern states, and a lot of Canadians from around Toronto to Quebec go to the East coast of Florida, how could it be "less safe" in places like City Place ?

Toronto has all kinds of people with different backgrounds living together, and I am comfortable with that.


It's just a fact that a lot of older people just do not like when there are young minorities around, especially if they're loud and boisterous. I can understand that it's annoying to have teens acting like fools (of any race)... I too have been "annoyed" (not scared)... but some real perspective is needed. There are cops and security everywhere due to the amount of people. I have seen cops respond to complaints of loitering kids.

The last real and most recent incident of concern that happened at Cityplace was at 3:00AM, outside of one of the bars, and I'll be willing to bet a lottt of money it involved drunk young people. The kind that are found in every city in North America.

Cityplace is full every day (ESPECIALLY in season!) with people of all different backgrounds. People who throw shade on Cityplace, one of the most popular attractions in the county, remind me of the old saying: "Oh, nobody ever goes there anymore, it's way too crowded!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 AM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,662,432 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Yes, I have to agree....that comment about CityPlace vs. Chicago is a bit of a stretch. I think perception over reality was getting the best of them.
I completely agree that there has been an increase in the number of young people that seem to be getting dropped off by their parents so they can walk around.

But technically, it's STILL a public city street, and I really can't complain, as I too spent a lot of time as a teenager idly walking with large groups of friends at the Treasure Coast Mall in Jensen Beach... or Wal-Mart, lol. Then again, that's all there was to DO up there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top