U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 07:41 AM

56 posts, read 95,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Yes, I have to agree....that comment about CityPlace vs. Chicago is a bit of a stretch. I think perception over reality was getting the best of them.
Um, no, sorry. Grew up with people of many backgrounds, ethnic and otherwise. Has nothing to do with "young black teenagers." Too many bodies in a crowded, traffic-gridlocked area at night and when the movie theater lets out all the teens just add to the mix. I stand by my statement and BTW, how do you know I'm not black myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
> I actually felt safer riding public trains in Chicago on the West Side than I do walking through Cityplace on a Friday night. The potential for violence to break out anytime, anywhere is thick in the air here and that is a huge change from years ago.

Could you elaborate more about the above statement ? Is CityPlace becoming "less safe" ?

Thanks !
IMO yes. Lots of cops standing around doing nothing, or driving by in cruisers - what happened to walking beats? I've been on the streets of Manhattan at night and saw more police - for what they get paid in PBC they should be far more engaged. Daytime is a different story, I worked just down the street & walked through CP every day. It's the powder keg feeling at night that has changed.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Anyone who feels "unsafe" at Cityplace is usually referring to black teenagers.

Again, if black people or assorted minorities scare you, South Florida is not for you. Feeling safer on the West side of Chicago v. Cityplace?! HA! Pure hyperbole. My 53 year old boss and close colleague live IN Cityplace. They don't just "walk through." Neither of them have ever complained about feeling "unsafe" where they live!
Good for them. CP needs more people like that.

Like I said below, how do you know I'm not a minority myself? Snap judgment if you ask me. I have lived/worked in many larger cities and rougher urban areas. WPB is kind of a joke as far as comparing crime rates - but the difference here is that WPB was sleepier and much more old Florida-like as recently as five years ago. IMO the area is not prepared to handle the changes. New buildings and Barnes & Noble/Macy's etc. does not equal safety. Again just my opinion.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Hi,

Thank you for the clarification.

I was thinking close to a million of Canadians spend the winter in some southern states, and a lot of Canadians from around Toronto to Quebec go to the East coast of Florida, how could it be "less safe" in places like City Place ?

Toronto has all kinds of people with different backgrounds living together, and I am comfortable with that.
That's one of the reasons I really like T.O. myself. The attitude is just - different thought. More chilled out. In Chicago I lived, worked and was friends with people of all backgrounds and it was the same feeling. S Florida has a nervous, tense vibe it didn't used to have a few years ago. Again it is more the number of people crowded in one place, with no one making eye contact/engaging with others, that makes CityPlace uncomfortable for me. I can see it exploding under the wrong circumstances.

And FYI, all the people telling you to consider Royal Palm Beach, Wellington and Jupiter are basically telling you to avoid the black/ethnic neighborhoods & just not saying so. They're all perfectly safe and typical suburban sprawl-type areas. And very, very white.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM

1,888 posts, read 7,146,720 times
Well, I actually do go to church in City Place. The service is held at the Harriet Himmel theatre a few times over the weekend. I've been to the day & evening services and I haven't been afraid to walk to my car afterwards. It's true that one should always take precautions but I haven't seen "that" side of it. I often go to lunch, dinner, dancing & shopping in the area, too. I'm not a big night owl so I'm not there at 4am to notice other people getting mugged or beat up. But that's just my experience.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Why is it scary? The victim is/was most likely involved in shady dealings:

BOYNTON BEACH Police continue to investigate the shooting death of a 52-year-old man who was killed Monday morning outside his Boynton Beach apartment.

Police identified him as Vincent Veasey, a man who has had more than 30 years of run-ins with the law, for charges ranging from grand theft to possession of marijuana, according to jail records.

I don't know much about that area, though it is right of MLK Blvd., and you know what Chris Rock says about MLK Blvd anywhere in the country, lol.
If you think it's only "certain" people who get involved in drugs in PBC you're kidding yourself. The abuse of prescription medication is staggering. I am stunned by the number of "pain clinics" and walk-in urgent care centers where they will prescribe narcotics at the drop of a hat. Even legit doctors will give you opiates for the smallest thing without batting an eye - happened to me recently. And as for coke/marijuana, well, I hope you realize those are more common than you think...

Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Well, I actually do go to church in City Place. The service is held at the Harriet Himmel theatre a few times over the weekend. I've been to the day & evening services and I haven't been afraid to walk to my car afterwards. It's true that one should always take precautions but I haven't seen "that" side of it. I often go to lunch, dinner, dancing & shopping in the area, too. I'm not a big night owl so I'm not there at 4am to notice other people getting mugged or beat up. But that's just my experience.
It's this kind of thing that is new behavior in PBC. Happened in broad daylight.

Delray Beach man, 84, still awaits justice nearly a year after attack in Target parking lot

If I had not seen near-misses of this kind of lunacy in the same Target myself, every day for five years, I would think differently.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
It's just a fact that a lot of older people just do not like when there are young minorities around, especially if they're loud and boisterous. I can understand that it's annoying to have teens acting like fools (of any race)... I too have been "annoyed" (not scared)... but some real perspective is needed. There are cops and security everywhere due to the amount of people. I have seen cops respond to complaints of loitering kids.

The last real and most recent incident of concern that happened at Cityplace was at 3:00AM, outside of one of the bars, and I'll be willing to bet a lottt of money it involved drunk young people. The kind that are found in every city in North America.

Cityplace is full every day (ESPECIALLY in season!) with people of all different backgrounds. People who throw shade on Cityplace, one of the most popular attractions in the county, remind me of the old saying: "Oh, nobody ever goes there anymore, it's way too crowded!"
I am 41 - not older by a long stretch. And again, how do you know I am not a minority myself?

Danced all night at Respectables a few weeks ago. Spent another pleasant night in the beer garden at O'Sheas. Plenty of happy people having fun in both places and no violence afterwards. Again it's the randomness of crime and bad behavior that has troubled me, not "those people." And I'm sorry but the police need to be actively walking beats and engaging people/dropping in stores/etc., not just coming when called.

Also stunning how easy it is to buy a firearm in Florida and get a concealed carry permit. I have seen 80-something grandmas in the shooting ranges, so don't think it's just "those people" carrying weapons.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:06 PM

585 posts, read 1,224,909 times
There's no gun store in Canada except a few (it's not as common as in the US) and we already have problems with guns smuggled into Canada. Having said that, I feel pretty safe in T.O. It could be because I live here, am familiar with all neighbourhoods, and T.O. has a diversified population ... You will notice people would say "hi" to you, even strangers, I do the same almost everyday when I have eye contact with strangers ... Torontonians sometimes talk to strangers (adults) in grocery stores, movie theatres ... you name it.

When I was in Florida, I stick to my routines and "mind my own business". I don't know why but it could be b/c I am a foreigner, I don't know the area well enough, I don't know the people there, I don't know how Americans were brought up, I don't know what was taught in schools ...

Last but not least, I don't argue with the locals as I don't know when they will pull out a gun and shoot at me !

Old 03-13-2012, 02:25 PM

585 posts, read 1,224,909 times
I noticed Royal Palm Beach, Wellington, Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens have a much lower crime rate, Flamingo Park is also nice to me too.

It seems to me higher crime rates are somehow tied to run down neighbourhoods (Google Maps: Tamarid area, did I get the spelling right ?). I forgot the streets but recall areas that are not that "safe" seem to tie to "numbered streets" ... Am I wrong ? Or when shootings are on the news, I googled and noticed they happened in run down neighbourhoods ... Basically on the North side of WPB. Well, too many activities and too many people are the recipe for troubles

I still prefer the suburbs or Flamingo Park, El Cid (spelling ?) ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach