U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,507 times

Advertisements

We moved here in 1991 from Kissimmee, and live near 45th Street and Military Trail. The worst thing that happened to us is my daughter's bicycle was stolen from our front yard about 15 years ago. (knock on wood)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 05:32 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,193,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikbot View Post
I'm a middle class professional (computers) and get job opportunities 2, 3 times a week.
I never could have believed the market in my field was this good. I took a job in downtown WPB
for a big company and they pay pretty competitive. Full salary, OT, and benefits.

I moved from Mission Viejo, CA and must say WPB is definitely no socal, but the beaches are beautiful, the weather is great 9 months out of the year, the tourist season is how this town thrives. Because it's a tourist town it has some downfalls, crowded, prices are ridiculous in "season", did I say crowded? The upside of that is as a resident I get to enjoy some pretty amazing restaurants, nightlife, and college girls..oh and girls on vacation...hehe.

It is strange that it's so black and white rich\poor. You can go from Clematis to ghetto in a few blocks. I don't go to crappy areas like Tamarind and Dixie, I just drive through them. Boyton, Del ray, and Boca definitely remind me more of Orange county than anything. Tons of money. It's not perfect, otherwise I wouldn't be able to rent a condo on the intracoastal for 1000 bucks, but it's a pretty cool place.
That's because back in the day, when Palm Beach Island was originally built/building up after the "Gilded Age" and before the land boom of the 1920's the domestic help and laborers for the island lived over on the mainland in what is now West Palm Beach so there is a history there.

People stay for GENERATIONS in their blighted urban areas even when offered a way "out" , it's home. From what I remember they even tried to close down the public housing and replace it with something....for the same people...I forget the details...and there was a HUGE outcry against that. I think it was around the time that horrific incident happened with the Jamaican woman? Maybe 2008? I stopped following WPB when I moved to Vero.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM

302 posts, read 417,750 times
We live here now and are looking to leave again. We only came back since my MIL was needing help and I married and only child. We will be leaving once she is gone. My kids were born here in WPB and do not want to live here. I have never been anywhere that has ruder and more uncaring people at all.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:31 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,788,392 times
We will be returning to Palm Beach as we have been gone since last year...Our son will be transferring to FAU Boca in a few years and we can't wait to get back...Our son wants to plant his roots in south florida

Old 07-21-2013, 07:31 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,854,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
We will be returning to Palm Beach as we have been gone since last year...Our son will be transferring to FAU Boca in a few years and we can't wait to get back...Our son wants to plant his roots in south florida
Your just itching to get back I see.....well bring your checkbook, it's getting expensive here. Was down at City Place last night for 3 hours, cost me $9 for parking in the garage and it was packed.

Went to the beach a couple of weeks ago, $5/hour for parking on Palm Beach and Phipps Ocean Park.

Home prices are on the upward motion, I have an investment property that I am currently renting, will probably flip it once the market rebounds since I doubt the bubble will last too long this time around.....

Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,694,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Your just itching to get back I see.....well bring your checkbook, it's getting expensive here. Was down at City Place last night for 3 hours, cost me $9 for parking in the garage and it was packed.

Went to the beach a couple of weeks ago, $5/hour for parking on Palm Beach and Phipps Ocean Park.

Home prices are on the upward motion, I have an investment property that I am currently renting, will probably flip it once the market rebounds since I doubt the bubble will last too long this time around.....

Park on the side streets if you absolutely must go to Palm Beach.

Palm Beach isn't even the nicest beach. If you just go a little bit more south, Lake Worth has cheaper parking and a more traditional beach experience.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,122,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Palm Beach isn't even the nicest beach. If you just go a little bit more south, Lake Worth has cheaper parking and a more traditional beach experience.
Does Palm Beach have public showers anywhere? e.g. something to wash off sand. I like that the water is that blue color and that white/ light colored sand. Any beaches close by that are similar?

I've been going to Jupiter and Juno beach mainly but the water and sand are dark.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,694,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post
Does Palm Beach have public showers anywhere? e.g. something to wash off sand. I like that the water is that blue color and that white/ light colored sand. Any beaches close by that are similar?

I've been going to Jupiter and Juno beach mainly but the water and sand are dark.

You know, I'm not sure about public showers since I don't go to the main beach on Palm Beach (again to avoid $5/hour parking, which is typical for that greedy little town).

Lake Worth Beach is on the same Island as Palm Beach so the water and sand should be the same. Maybe even Singer Island beaches. Worth a shot at least.

Could also probably try any public beach access south of Jupiter, such as Delray.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:50 PM

302 posts, read 417,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post

As far as I know, Lake Worth Beach does have the showers to rinse off the salt and sand.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,854,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

I usually park at around Worth Ave. and North, not too many side streets have available parking in that area during the day.

I find Palm Beach to have a nice, clean, easy access beach and a decent crowd. I been to Lake Worth, it's okay if you want a Central American experience while at the beach. Phipps is the same way and I go there often....the picnic area attracts a lot of that, radios on full blast playing mariachi or salsa music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach