U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 AM

585 posts, read 1,224,535 times

Advertisements

Sorry, what is the full name of PGA ?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,691,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Sorry, what is the full name of PGA ?
Thanks
PGA National. It's in Palm Beach Gardens. Many many different individual neighborhoods, golf and country club, etc. Townhomes, condos, estate homes, single family homes.

Example:

PGA National | Real Estate | Florida Home from The Palm Beach Post

Also, the many neighborhoods of Abacoa are a nice bet:

Abacoa | Real Estate | Florida Home from The Palm Beach Post

Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Hi TriMT7,

Thanks ! I will check out those areas one by one.

SB100

Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
PBC has more crime than it should based on the size of its cities, but saying that it's all drugs and crime is a huge overstatement.
If you compare it to walking in Manhattan, then PBC is bad. If you compare it with some suburbs in West Chicago or in Blatimore, then PBC is not that bad when it comes to violence.
If you come from TN, SC, NC odds are you might think of PBC as a crime ridden area. It depends on what you are comparing it too.

There are several shady areas that get really bad at night, but I also have to say that most of regular people don't walk in those areas at night so odds are that if you are not a shady character yourself, you are going to be fine with a bit of common sense and in a little time with some knowledge of the area.
I would like to avoid those "shady areas", so could some WPB natives tell me where those "shady areas" are ? I have no or minimum knowledge of S FL.

Thank you !

Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 AM

16,397 posts, read 13,093,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsyndicate View Post
OK theres three parts to this palm beach county lifestyle part 1, your rich and want to move to palm beach you'll be living in wellington, palm beach island, jupiter, north palm beach or boca raton, you will be in a gated community or in a country club setting, the only gangstas you'll really be interacting with will be serving you your food or getting you your drinks, part2. your a renter with about 1000 a month to spend now you will be interacting with the gangatas if you cant afford to rent in one of the above mentioned areas once out of the above mentinoed areas be prepared for drugs and violence and everything that comes with them if your older good luck trying to merge you might be loneley unless your willing to lower your standards way down part3, your broke can only afford to pay like 500-750 a month rent your neighbors will all have gold teeth smoking pot all day cops in and out and people allways asking you for something, if your into that then more power to you
^^^^ ??? You can get into a great neighborhood and pay about $750, even less. One without the drugs and violence that you speak of.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
West Palm is like any other city in the U.S. It's just that it's bad parts are just as bad if not worst than these major cities people talk about. It's definetely a small city with big city crime. West Palm has a big gap between the rich and the poor.

Some bad parts look like a ghost town so Detroit is that a safe city too? Just cause it doesn't look as old or runed down?! Let's think here Florida cites are not even 50 years old some places in the hood are brand new houses. I guess people never herd of don't judge a book by it's cover either?

It's not just West Palm either it's the cities around it like Riviera Beach to the north and Lake Worth to the south that make West Palm Beach and Palm Beach county one of the most dangerous metro's in the U.S. Wether it's gang homicides in Lake Worth or drug related homincides in Riviera Beach makes the area much worst. You can drive from Lake Worth to Riviera Beach and it all look the same. Just cause your out the city don't mean your safe unlike most US cities. Crime happens everywhere but it's more likely to happen sometimes outside the city than in it. Same thing goes for Ft. Lauderdale & Miami.
Another scary comment.

Is it true ? Is it worst than Detroit ?

I remember years ago when I visited Windsor Ontario, I crossed the bridge to Detroit. Guess what ? I was only driving in Detroit for an hour and headed back to Windsor Ontario.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,977,568 times
I suggest finding a place in Juno, or Jupiter, and commuting.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofykid View Post
According to this link, also provided by Goofykid, WPB ranks 13, Orlando ranks 6 and Detroit ranks 1.

We visited Orlando/Disney/Universal and others, so are millions visitors visiting Orlando.

So it seems to me it might be OK in WPB (rank 13), as long as I stick to the tourist areas, am I right ? Please comment.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2011, 11:11 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,691,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
According to this link, also provided by Goofykid, WPB ranks 13, Orlando ranks 6 and Detroit ranks 1.

We visited Orlando/Disney/Universal and others, so are millions visitors visiting Orlando.

So it seems to me it might be OK in WPB (rank 13), as long as I stick to the tourist areas, am I right ? Please comment.

Thanks
The Forbes link is from 2008. Here is the most recent Forbes list, from 2010:

America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes

Palm Beach County is not on that list.

Here is the Morgan Quinto 2010 list of Most Dangerous Metropolitan areas and Cities:

Morgan Quitno Press - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(No individual Florida cities crack the Top 25, and the only metro area is Miami-Dade County is #16 as far as Metros)

Here is a complete list of cities based on crime rate:

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

West Palm Beach is #59, and that's the CITY of West Palm Beach (where the majority of violent crime will happen in the north end, near and bordering Riviera Beach). Not to mention, this list data was based on 2009 crime stats, and the stats for 2010 are better than 2009, so we'll see what the "2011" list looks like next year.

The suburbs of West Palm are statistically safer due to their not being city centers.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The Forbes link is from 2008. Here is the most recent Forbes list, from 2010:

America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes

Palm Beach County is not on that list.

Here is the Morgan Quinto 2010 list of Most Dangerous Metropolitan areas and Cities:

Morgan Quitno Press - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(No individual Florida cities crack the Top 25, and the only metro area is Miami-Dade County is #16 as far as Metros)

Here is a complete list of cities based on crime rate:

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

West Palm Beach is #59, and that's the CITY of West Palm Beach (where the majority of violent crime will happen in the north end, near and bordering Riviera Beach). Not to mention, this list data was based on 2009 crime stats, and the stats for 2010 are better than 2009, so we'll see what the "2011" list looks like next year.

The suburbs of West Palm are statistically safer due to their not being city centers.
That's encouraging facts, thanks !

We are planning to spend more and more time in S FL, so a relatively safer city is one of the criteria.

A lot of Canadians, mostly from Ontario & Quebec, have been spending their winters in Central & South Florida. If it was so scary why would tens of thousands of them leave Ontario & Quebec for Central & South FL year after year !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach