Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:38 PM

38 posts, read 153,410 times

Advertisements

Hi Mary,

I saw your post to Bored In Raleigh, and I'm wondering if you could help me as well. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons, 31/2 and 2 yrs old. My husband and I have wanted to move to Florida for a long time now. We spent time researching and visiting many areas and decided on your lovely town.

I'm looking for a place that has it all - anf for me that means good public and private schools, clean air, the beach, culture close by, being outdoors year round. I think I've found it n the Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens area.

How accurate are the negative posts? Is there a lot of drug use in the schools? I just want what you described - a safe , friendly place to raise children. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 15,137 times
If you are looing for a place tha has it all, Florida is not it. I grew up on the west coast of Florida and have family in Jupiter. The public school system in Florida, in general, is horrible. There is no state tax therefore no money to goes into the school system. Construction takes forever to get completed becuase they start many other porjects before they finish the first one they started on. Cost of living is very expensive meaning you dont get a lot for your money. You have Hurricanes to worry about, and even if you dont get nailed by a hurricane that causes a lot of damage, they do knock the power out for a week or so. It is HOT HOT HOT all year around, no change of seasons. There are many many retirees in Florida and many drivers on the road who are of the age in which they should no be driving anymore meaning negotiating traffic can be a pain. I really am not an overly negative person, but living in Florida for 23 years left a bad taste in my mouth and I am glad I moved out of thre when I did.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
You forgot "rude people".

Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 PM

6 posts, read 15,137 times
Yes thank you..rude people, people who think they are better than you because they have money, people who think they pee perfume. Finding customer service there is a lot like going on a treasure hunt. Heck finding someone who speaks english is like going on a treasure hunt.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:44 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxster View Post
Yes thank you..rude people, people who think they are better than you because they have money, people who think they pee perfume. Finding customer service there is a lot like going on a treasure hunt. Heck finding someone who speaks english is like going on a treasure hunt.
No rude people post would be complete without Hispanic bashing! Hispanics who are rude and think they **** perfume, and then rob you at gunpoint and contribute to warmer temperatures in South Florida (since it used to have seasons, after all, back in the 1980s when it was paradise and there was no crime ).

Old 10-26-2008, 10:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Back to the OP's topic please........we do not need another race related/florida's hot/everyone's rude type thread.

Frank D.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,293 times
jupiter and surrounding area is really nice... however, i wouldnt compare it to the quality of life enjoyed in raleigh.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:48 PM

132 posts, read 371,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
On the other hand, you can find real estate so cheap in Florida that you can easily pay for it on 30k. Or with two people making 30k, you can get something nicer. If you bought a house based on, say, a 250k income, so that your mortgage payments are something astronomical like 5k per month, then no, 30k won't cut it. You'd have to sell your place, and hopefully you have some equity in it, then buy something that costs a lot less. You can easily get condos in South Florida for under 50k, even.
What kind of housing would that be? My wife wants to move back down to SF but I haven't found any homes in safe neighborhoods for that price, at least not in the lakeworth/ west palm area. Where can I find homes starting in that range?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:59 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochmoigh View Post
What kind of housing would that be? My wife wants to move back down to SF but I haven't found any homes in safe neighborhoods for that price, at least not in the lakeworth/ west palm area. Where can I find homes starting in that range?
I just did a search on Realtor.com for properties between 10k and 50k, within 30 miles of zip code 33401, excluding manufactured/mobile houses (which I wouldn't recommend living in when you're in a major hurricane zone), land and farms (which there aren't going to be anyway in that price range), and I got 1,309 results. So I can't list all of those, but here are a few, in different areas:

80 Preston B #800, Boca Raton - 2 bed/2 bath 944 sq. ft.
15453 Lakes of Delray Blvd. #203, Delray Beach. 2 bed/2 bath 1000 sq. ft.
1010 Country Club Dr. Unit 402, Margate 2 bed/2 bath (sq ft isn't listed on results page)
327 Pine Ridge Cir #A-1, Greenacres 2 bed/1.5 bath 1,043 sq. ft.
1141 Lake Victoria Dr. Unit 44M, Royal Palm Beach - 2 bed/1 bath 708 sq. ft.

There are tons more, obviously.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 AM

132 posts, read 371,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
I just did a search on Realtor.com for properties between 10k and 50k, within 30 miles of zip code 33401, excluding manufactured/mobile houses (which I wouldn't recommend living in when you're in a major hurricane zone), land and farms (which there aren't going to be anyway in that price range), and I got 1,309 results. So I can't list all of those, but here are a few, in different areas:

80 Preston B #800, Boca Raton - 2 bed/2 bath 944 sq. ft.
15453 Lakes of Delray Blvd. #203, Delray Beach. 2 bed/2 bath 1000 sq. ft.
1010 Country Club Dr. Unit 402, Margate 2 bed/2 bath (sq ft isn't listed on results page)
327 Pine Ridge Cir #A-1, Greenacres 2 bed/1.5 bath 1,043 sq. ft.
1141 Lake Victoria Dr. Unit 44M, Royal Palm Beach - 2 bed/1 bath 708 sq. ft.

There are tons more, obviously.
Awesome, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach