U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM

315 posts, read 352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annemarie15 View Post
There were 4 rapes - two stabbing and a riot last night at Moon fest. Two of my young adult friends went and hated it. It was wall to wall crowds, ambulances could not get through and forget being able to buy so much as a coke without an hour wait. I hope they cancel it.
don't talk crap !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 AM

98 posts, read 217,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter441 View Post
don't talk crap !

Dude - there were 2 stabbings. Didn't see it myself - but it did make the evening news.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,861 times
My buddy got stomped out, skull fractures and a subdural bleed. He's in St. Mary's right now recovering. If you go to Moonfest, dont walk back to your car alone unless you have a chopper in your waistband.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:43 PM

85 posts, read 148,780 times
To the "WHOOPI DO WOW COOL" MOONFEST. I'm with the cool "IN" crowd.

WEST PALM BEACH — Feeling uneasy and a little overwhelmed, a city police sergeant stood and took it in on Halloween night, the scrum of drunken freaks and ghouls streaming down Clematis Street during the city's annual Moonfest party.

The event, which usually brings throngs to the downtown entertainment district, seemed more crowded and unruly than ever before to Sgt. Lou Penque, and what he found on the ground about 2 a.m. proved it.

At first, the ripped fabric and flowing blood looked like just another great costume. But when the sergeant got closer, he realized the man had been stabbed in the chest.

No sooner had Penque radioed for an ambulance to pick up the first victim, at 319 Clematis St., when another bleeding man stumbled up to him: He too had been knifed.

The stabbings were among the bloodiest of 71 police calls recorded on or near Clematis Street between the early evening of Oct. 30, when Moonfest began, and the early morning of Oct. 31, when it ended. Among other crimes reported were at least one rape, five fights and seven assaults, records show.

Mayor Lois Frankel said crowds estimated at about 70,000 overwhelmed the downtown area and that more streets should be opened next year to create a safer environment. "This year's attendance was much higher than expected, resulting in late-night safety issues," said city spokesman Peter Robbins. "The city will be working with the promoters, police and other stakeholders to improve traffic flow, security and the event's layout."

The police union - which has been feuding with city leaders since the city commission voted to cut step raises last fall - blamed city administrators for poor planning ahead of the block party. Palm Beach County Sheriff's Sgt. John Kazanjian, head of the county's Police Benevolent Association, said the 30 officers hired by Moonfest organizers felt overwhelmed by a crowd that easily could have gotten out of control.

"Alcohol and 70,000 people is a mixture for disaster," Kazanjian said, adding that police administrators should have been involved in planning for the event.

Moonfest organizer Maurice Costigan, who owns O'Sheas Irish Pub, said he was disappointed in the incidents, noting that the festival has been largely trouble free during its 17-year run. He said he suspected some bars and nightclubs on the eastern half of Clematis contributed to problems this year.

Most of the violence on Halloween night was clustered on Clematis east of Dixie Highway. Besides the stabbings, there was a brawl outside Rocco's Tacos. One police officer shot three combatants with pepper spray, which temporarily blinded the officer and a woman who was standing in the restaurant, a report said.

In another case, a woman told police a friend led her out of the Off the Hookah nightspot through an alley and into the waterfront park near Clematis and Flagler Drive, where he raped her. The man was arrested on a sexual battery charge and released the next day after posting a $10,000 bond.

Costigan said it was a shame to see Moonfest marred by the actions of "a couple of idiots."

"The amount of money and work and jobs it generates in the city is enormous," Costigan said of the festival. "We can fix what went wrong quite easily if everybody comes together. We need the city to help to stop it. We need the police to help to stop it."

Staff writer Andrew Abramson contributed to this story

Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM

85 posts, read 148,780 times
HMMMMMM Trimt7 how could this be????? fabricated I wonder????HMMMMMMMM police everywhere,,so you claim????HMMMMMMMM safe????HMMMMMMMMM.
I thought you said>>>unless one who hangs around with the BAD element you have nothing to worry about,like drugs & prostitutes,,,gee wonder if all 71 incidents drug's & prostitutes where involved?????HMMMMMMM tri??????? your grand theory?????
fact is yrs ago a suit suit man on a business trip was beaten to death & others have been attacked,fact is WPPD are useless & corrupt sterioded out,& loser criminals are in the alley way's waiting when crowds arrive.
I don't worry cause WPB is useless & has nothing to offer & I carry 7 day's a week.
71 victims @ MMMMMMOOOOONFEST whoopi do wow ccccooooooooooLLLLLLLL cmon & join the fun.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 PM

315 posts, read 352,317 times
WPD Police sucks Feds or Palm Beach County Sheriff need take over

Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 AM

14,597 posts, read 15,181,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatyhotviolentwestpalm View Post
HMMMMMM Trimt7 how could this be????? fabricated I wonder????HMMMMMMMM police everywhere,,so you claim????HMMMMMMMM safe????HMMMMMMMMM.
Sweaty, I really wish you would learn some reading comprehension.

First, this thread is from a couple of years old. Second, by every account nobody planned for as many people as showed up this year. The crowds have gotten bigger every year, this year, exponentially.

This leads to problems that were NOT experienced in the past:

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Sheas' Owner
Moonfest organizer Maurice Costigan, who owns O'Sheas Irish Pub, said he was disappointed in the incidents, noting that the festival has been largely trouble free during its 17-year run. He said he suspected some bars and nightclubs on the eastern half of Clematis contributed to problems this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweaty
I thought you said>>>unless one who hangs around with the BAD element you have nothing to worry about,like drugs & prostitutes,,,gee wonder if all 71 incidents drug's & prostitutes where
Let's do the math, sweaty:

70,000 + people.

71 incidents. During a drunken party.

Victimization rate: 1 in 1000.

What do you know of the incidents? Were they innocents? Random attacks? Or groups picking fights with one another?

I'd venture that most people on this board would probably leave the festival before 2AM anyway, as most working people or those with families do not have the luxury of staying out all night like kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty
involved? HMMMMMMM tri??????? your grand theory?????
70000 mostly late teens and 20 somethings in a tight space.... getting drunk at 2AM (after many have already gone home) during a street party, and you only believe it was random acts of violence? As if someone was running around stabbing people? Even the rape alleged to have happened was an acquaintance rape, where a woman reported her "friend" raped her.

Face it, Sweaty, as always, you just "don't know."

Quote:
fact is yrs ago a suit suit man on a business trip was beaten to death & others have been attacked,
Wow. "Years ago" someone was killed. That's great Sweaty. Years ago you couldn't walk down 42nd street in Manhattan without walking into dozens of tranny hookers and guys with guns selling heroin. And now, Sweaty?

Quote:
fact is WPPD are useless & corrupt sterioded out,& loser criminals are in the alley way's waiting when crowds arrive.
Ah yes. Everything is always wrong with everyone and everything else. But you're perfect. I think you'd have a different opinion and more positive outlook on life if your business wasn't failing, which I suspect is the real source of your discontent.

You talk about how great it was 10+ years ago, but time and time and time again you are shown that crime in West Palm Beach has dropped 50% or more over the same time period. You can't hide murder statistics, Sweaty. You can't hide armed assault statistics, Sweaty.

Maybe I need to show you again:

1999: WPB Crime Rate: 1227
2009: WPB Crime Rate: 544

And that's WITH MOST of the really violent crime happening nowhere near Clematis, but north of Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. near Riviera Beach!

West Palm is safer or as safe than many cities, including Chicago, Atlanta, etc.. Per City-Data itself:

Atlanta: 2009 Crime rate 659.4
Chicago: 2009 Crime rate 615.5
Knoxville: 2009 Crime rate 626.7
Greesboro: 2009 Crime rate 536
Houston: 2009 Crime rate 596.6
Dallas: 2009 Crime rate 545.6
Greenville: 2009 Crime rate 560.5
Philadelphia: 2009 Crime rate 559.7

Quote:
I don't worry cause WPB is useless & has nothing to offer & I carry 7 day's a week.
Projecting much?

Perhaps you've been rejected one too many times by the young women in downtown West Palm Beach who are actually looking for someone who has something to offer?

Quote:
71 victims @ MMMMMMOOOOONFEST whoopi do wow ccccooooooooooLLLLLLLL cmon & join the fun.
From the guy who thinks going to events like Moonfest, Sunfest, etc. is done only for people to "brag" that they went there, or because they "want to be cool."

I mean, who THINKS like that?!

There's some major issues at play here, Sweaty, and they have nothing to do with West Palm!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:42 AM

5 posts, read 19,400 times
Default Moonfest marred by reported rapes, stabbings amid organizers' calls for better security

Unfortunately it got out of control...
Moonfest marred by reported rapes, stabbings amid organizers' calls for better security

Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM

130 posts, read 93,007 times
You can take those stats and shove them, numbers can be read anyway you want them... Moonfest was a mess this year, period...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
I'm going this weekend wat is there to do there if you are under age???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach