Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:43 PM

41 posts, read 143,512 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone... I'm considering a move to Florida and I've been reading on here, trying to find the best areas to look into. I'm just starting my search, but I've got sort of special circumstances, and pretty certain on what I want to buy. I've already read into a few towns, and I want to find out from people that currently live in these areas if I'm on the right track. First off, let me give you a quick story about me...

I'm 28, single, do not own property (but currently in the market here in the San Francisco area), currently working as a marine engineer on ships (so I'm gone 6-8 months a year working, and my company flies me from wherever I live), and more or less not tied to any one situation or place. I have very few possessions, so a cross country move wouldn't be hard for me at all. I am in the market at the moment for a single family home, preferably at least a 3bed/2bath/2car layout or more, in a quiet, family oriented neighborhood. I want to live in a rural community type setting, preferably with the best schools I can find, safe, quiet, and yet still be close to the retail/shopping. I don't want to be too close to the city, but to be honest, I don't need to be on a beach either. I lived in the South Pacific on a very remote island for a few years, so trust me, the Florida beaches won't be the best I've ever seen. That's just not that important to me. I'm looking for a safe, secure community with good family starting qualities, or good resale value. I've been looking at spending about $400-450K over here, which is getting me usually a 3/1/2 or a 3/2/2 single family home, about 50 years old, on about 0.15-0.20 acre lot...

With all of that said, I've narrowed my search to Wellington, Jupiter, and Palm Beach Gardens... I've heard these are the nicer areas, and from what I've read, I think I can afford any of these. In addition, FL has no income tax, so that is a big lure as well.

In addition to all of this, I recently met a girl in Florida, and a big part of my move is to be with her, and perhaps even start a family if she turns out to be "the one"... Crazy, I know, but she is amazing, and like I said, I have no real ties to California. Its expensive, crowded, and while I love it, a change would be fun. Most of my extended family is in the NE anyway (New York), and only a few of my relatives are on the West Coast....

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
If you like Country oriented settings, check out Jupiter Farms in Jupiter, as well as Palm Beach Country Estates, Wellington, and Caloosa. All of these places have the best of many worlds --- acreage, family oriented, not TOO far from the beach, and shopping in Palm Beach County is world class for anyone's tastes. You have the Gardens Mall in North County, Worth Avenue in Palm Beach Island, and Town Center in Boca Raton for fanciness, and then more typical suburbia malls like Wellington Green.

Your price range should get you what you're looking for easily in this market.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM

21 posts, read 45,983 times
JD
Ive lived in palm beach county for 20 years and also lived in Hawaii for 12 yrs and the south pacific for 6 years / my recommendation would be the Port St. Lucie area / if you are away for as much time as you say and want a very safe area for kids with a friendly group of people try/
Port St. Lucie, developers and owners are giving homes away/ I saw an ad for a new 3 bedroom home in Traditions for $99,000 where 3 years ago it would go for $ 350g/ Town is nice and close (5mi) to beach and tracts of cattle on sideroads/ would fit you well for proximity to Port of Palm Beach for work. Hey I'm contemplating a move right now to Santa Barbara in a few months/ any insite on the ca life other than the high home costs/ good luck and nice to hear about a guy in love to follow his girl/ good luck
Mike

Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Mike- Santa Barbara... My folks actually live 30 minutes North of there right now... That's really funny.. SB is very expensive, and also a little too snooty for my tastes.. But, definitely take a ride North when you get there and check out the Santa Ynez Valley... Its a beautiful little set of 5 towns, and a major location for "Central Coast" wine... Napa Valley up here in the Bay Area is more well known, but I like a lot of the central coast wine better... Not to mention, Solvang is a little danish town in the valley, a cool little tourist town..

Anyway, I'm really looking for info on the best of these neighborhoods in terms of safety, schools, property value, attractions, downsides, etc... Of course, new ideas are welcome too!!

Thanks again folks!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:20 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,347 times
It sounds like you are in the perfect situation for the move with your employment being the way that it is.
I would say live in zip code 33470 as it is close to the airport and a is rural community with 1.14 to 2 acre lots it is also close still to everything you need.
For your price range you could get one heck of a beautiful home.
Just remember that the property tax system is very expensive here on a home priced at 450,000 you would be paying 9,000 per year.
If you do buy make sure you purchase something built in 2002 or newer as it saves you a TON off of your home insurance costs.

Best of luck with your search and with your new love interest!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM

SKB- Hmm, what is it about '02 and newer homes? I assume this has something to do with building codes or Hurricane compliance?? Can you elaborate?? Thanks for everything else though. As for the property taxes, I'm ready to pay through the nose for them, but remember, living in California, every damn thing is expensive... The lack of state income tax alone is fantastic!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,497,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinisio View Post
SKB- Hmm, what is it about '02 and newer homes? I assume this has something to do with building codes or Hurricane compliance?? Can you elaborate?? Thanks for everything else though. As for the property taxes, I'm ready to pay through the nose for them, but remember, living in California, every damn thing is expensive... The lack of state income tax alone is fantastic!
Yes, you guessed correct the hurricane codes changed for homes built in 2002 or newer. Thus the homes are built to withstand stronger winds etc.
If you buy something built before 02 you will pay more.

I was quoted 900.00 per year on a home built in 2002. The home is 2800 under air. I will also pay another 250. for flood protection.

I am just patently waiting for the bank to respond to my offer. It has been a month all ready and still nothing.
If you buy a REO be prepared to wait a long time.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,380,884 times
You can get a nice house for that price range. I wouldn't consider Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens to be rural areas. I prefer Palm Beach Gardens out of the cities you mentioned, since all those cities are in the same basic area, just check them all out.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
You can get a nice house for that price range. I wouldn't consider Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens to be rural areas. I prefer Palm Beach Gardens out of the cities you mentioned, since all those cities are in the same basic area, just check them all out.
Believe it or not, though, the extreme Western parts of both those cities offer acreage properties.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 PM

SKB- Thanks for the info on the property taxes... I will keep that in mind...

Also, thanks to everyone for the info on the towns... I want to live in the nicer areas, as it seems that I can afford quite a bit more than I was looking for here, at least with the cost of real estate there... As for acreage properties, I don't know about there, but I'll be happy with 0.25 acres... I don't need a HUGE lot, because that is a lot of maintenance, but something more than the 6-7000 sq. ft. lots that are typical around here, for $400K anyway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach