U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,037 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving from NYC to Palm Beach County for a better quality of life and more sunshine. I would love to hear some feedback and hints about different areas for a young family.

We are considering Wellington, Jupiter and Boca but are also open to other suggestions. We are in our early 30's and have a preschool age child. We are self employeed so commute time to work is not a concern. We would like a community with reform/conservative jewish presence and are not looking to spend more than $800k. Any neighborhood suggestions? I think we would like to live in a planned community to have the chance to meet other people since we would be relocating.

Of course, schooling is a top priority. I heard that public schools in Florida aren't the best - do most children go to private school? How much are private schools in FL?

Please let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,593,062 times
As far as schools go, there are some that are specifically Jewish, such as Meyer Jewish Academy in West Palm Beach is very good (what I have heard from other parents) and there is also Donna Klein Jewish Academy in Boca Raton. Both are private, I am not sure about the tuition. There are other private schools that are not specifically Jewish--The Benjamin School, Palm Beach Day Academy among others. I am sure that there are some highly rated public elementary schools--especially in Boca--but I am not sure. I think that you should probably try private if you are coming from New York and are concerned with your child's education.
Moreover, you won't have a problem finding a very nice house in any of those areas with your price range. Just make sure that a thorough inspection is done as I have seen and been in some shabbily-built "million-dollar" homes. And make sure they come with hurricane shutters!
As far as communities go, Boca Raton is probably going to be your best bet with regard to The specific community that you are looking for.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 579,520 times
Because you're Jewish I'd say check out Boca. Because you'd like a "planned community" and have a nice budget, I'd say check out Abacoa in Jupiter. There are excellent public schools in Jupiter but there are private schools as well. I don't have much advice in regards to religion but Jupiter is nice and calm and a great place to have a family.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM

33 posts, read 94,819 times
I agree, Boca is the way to go. I am 21 and i went to school in Palm Beach County, and I would recommend it to anyone! There are maybe only 4 or 5 middle schools and such that i would not recommend, but the ones in Boca are exceptionally good.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,037 times
Thank you for your feedback. It seems like we will probably begin our search in Boca. Any areas to specifically stay away from in Boca?

Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,788,392 times
We are looking in West Boca...Sandpiper Elem, Waters Edge Elem (fairly New) Loggers Middle and West Boca High School..are the schools my dd and son will be attending, well my son will be going into High School and my dd still in Elem school 4th grade...There is also Eagles Landing Middle also very good from our reserach..

Old 05-08-2009, 02:01 AM

5 posts, read 12,162 times
Almost everywhere in Boca is pretty nice, and with your budget I don't think you'll be straying into any bad areas. Check out The Colonnade, New Floresta, and Woodfield.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 AM

569 posts, read 1,494,479 times
You are only in your 30's and buying an $800K house. What are we doing wrong down here? LOL

All kidding aside in that price range you will be with the elite. No worries in Boca or anywhere in Palm Beach County. Boca especially is full of rich Jews so you will not be the only ones. No worries. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 PM

44 posts, read 73,621 times
NYC is a sunny city too...

South Florida has "slightly" more sunshine than the Northeast.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 AM

33 posts, read 94,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
You are only in your 30's and buying an $800K house. What are we doing wrong down here? LOL

All kidding aside in that price range you will be with the elite. No worries in Boca or anywhere in Palm Beach County. Boca especially is full of rich Jews so you will not be the only ones. No worries. Good luck.
Being as Palm Beach is one of the wealthiest communities in the country, I would think that $800k would be more upper middle class, not the elite. $800k wouldnt get you anything in Palm Beach, except maybe a small studio condo. Living in those suburban Boca Raton areas IS upper middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach