Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 12:24 PM

106 posts, read 563,381 times

Advertisements

We placed an offer on a home. This is a short sale property. It had a previous offer and the client backed out because of the results of a mold inspection. I met the inspector and went through the report with him. He told me on a scale of 1 to 10 it was about a 2. The remidiation costs about $2500. Here is a list of where the mold was.
Window sills/frames in 3 rooms
Around A/C vent in Living room
2 small dots of mold over jacuzzi tub in bathroom
Here is my question...Is the mold indicative of a larger problem or is window mold nothing to be concerned about it just needs a good cleaning. The overall home tested dry. However, certain rooms tested higher than others. I think most Florida homes have some level of mold. I don't want to make a stupid decision by buying this but I also see alot of value in the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 03:57 PM

207 posts, read 1,034,104 times
What year was the home built? If between 2005-2007 check for Chinese drywall. It's everywhere.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:06 PM

It was built in 1996

Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
I just saw an episode on t.v.--something on HGTV, I believe--where a contractor went into an older home where he knew that there was mold... Suffice to say, as the episode progressed, more and more mold was found until it turned into a downright infestation; so bad that it had begun to eat away at the wood (i.e. the house's structure), which had to be taken out as well. Most of the mold was in areas of high-water usage (the bathroom was, of course, the worst area in the house.) Just when you thought that it couldn't get any worse, they found asbestos.
You have already had the home inspected--did you get a second opinion? Furthermore, b/c certain rooms tested higher than others, I am afraid that you will find mold behind the walls in those rooms, which requires the drywall to be taken out and replaced (not to mention the damage that may already have been done to the wood.)
I would buy the home only if it is being offered at a VERY good price, and you have the money and time to undertake extensive remodeling.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,187 times
Find out how long the house has been sitting unoccupied. If the power has been turned off and the house has been sitting for a year or more, there's a good chance the mold is worse then you can see. With the humidity in Florida and no air, it will develop where ever moisture accumulates, like window sills. Also check for insects, rodent droppings
You can check the county appraisals sites for information on prior sales.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,422 times
If you're in love with it get a second opinion and see if they say the same thing. Like everyones been saying though theres a good chance its also in areas that aren't visable.
There's plenty on the market right now it might just be better to walk away...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the input. I am having another company give me a second opinion tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:41 AM

9 posts, read 28,767 times
You need to find out why the mold is there. Mold is a result of a problem, not the cause. From your description it sounds like a HVAC issue. The HVAC is not working properly as it is not providing positive pressure (this is why there is problems at the windows). In addition it can not overcome the moisture ladent air which is causing condensation on the AC vents and creating mold.

Good luck, but look at the cause not the result...

Old 05-29-2009, 10:24 AM

272 posts, read 908,935 times
I know of one house in Boca that has a mold problem, and I'm sure the owner would not disclose it. It's caused by a bad roof that leaks. I feel sorry for whoever buys it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach