U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 AM

17 posts, read 92,181 times

Advertisements

My college-age son in Chicago is moving to the area to do a summer internship and will be commuting weekday mornings to Fort Lauderdale. He wants to use Tri-Rail, so I'd like to find out which station is better from a safety perspective---Mangonia or West Palm Beach. I looked on a crime map at SpotCrime and decided Mangonia seemed like a better bet, but then saw a comment on another board saying Mangonia is worse than West Palm Beach. Are either or both going to be scary places for him to park and walk to and from during daytime hours? He will be carrying his laptop in a backpack. Will his car be safe? If so, what can he expect? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,677,844 times
I live a block away from the station in west palm and it is next to a very rough area but they have it pretty well secured. I wouldn't be too worried, as long as he uses common sense and doesn't leave expensive stuff in the front seat he should be fine. I would probably recommend that one over the one in Mangonia.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 PM

439 posts, read 1,569,713 times
Basically, they both stink. To me, the Mangonia station is more sketchy because the area is on the desolate side. Plus, you're bordering on Riviera Beach at that station--definitely not a good area. There was Palm Beach Jai-Alai there, but it's been closed for at least 10 years. And after my husband's recent experience, DO NOT leave a bike at the Mangonia station. It WILL be stolen. He had his bike secured with a cable lock there, but the lock had managed to be cut and off went his bike. Unlike the majority of the other stations, the bike area for Mangonia is nowhere near the train platform. We'd only had the bike for a month too. Granted, it was bought secondhand to replace his original bike that was stolen off the train...but still!

The stations are patrolled by Wackenhut personnel, if that eases your mind at all. It's basically picking the lesser of 2 evils with those 2 stations, but I'd go with West Palm.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks to both for your input. He will be in his 1995 Honda, not a very flashy vehicle at least. I'm wondering if it will be more iffy during the am or pm commutes also. He will be leaving about 6:45 am and arriving back about 6:30 pm. I also heard there are bad downpours in the afternoons-- do they happen randomly, or is there a definite pattern to the time?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:10 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,677,844 times
as long as he doesn't park his car overnight he should be fine. It's more or less on the fringe of a bad area. South Florida rain is pretty spotty can't really determine that.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,640,251 times
Children that attend Dreyfoos school of the arts disembark every morning at the West Palm Beach Tri-Rail station. There shouldn't be any problems whatsoever.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Thanks so much everyone--I think I'm convinced now that WPB will be the better choice for him. The SpotCrime.com map didn't make that apparent at all, so I'm so glad I asked.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:24 PM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 671,715 times
my bestfriend was robbed at the west palm beach tri-rail station really early in the morning on his way to work. however it is a bit better than mangonia. they should have just extended the tri-rail to gardens.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM

439 posts, read 1,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny561 View Post
my bestfriend was robbed at the west palm beach tri-rail station really early in the morning on his way to work. however it is a bit better than mangonia. they should have just extended the tri-rail to gardens.
They were talking about it. Now with the future of Tri-Rail in limbo, who knows if that will ever take place.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 671,715 times
I remember the first time took tri-rail by myself, i was going to abacoa and the girl i was meeting told me the mangonia station was right by there. so i catch it up there, and i realize im in one of the worst areas ive ever been in. i was like 13 and scared out my wits. i had to wait 45 minutes for her to pick me up too. it was horrible. i probably wouldnt be scared now, because im bigger, and carry a knife on me. and bad neighborhoods dont bother me anymore, because ive hung out in them many times since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach