U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:15 PM

518 posts, read 1,992,879 times

Advertisements

Couldn't help but stumble across this thread, having grown up in the Chicago area. I think Chicago vs. South Florida is an apples vs. oranges comparison. In metropolitan Chicago, the driving force is the central city (although boosters of places like Schaumburg and Naperville might argue that). South Florida, on the other hand, is three distinct counties/metropolitan areas that form a megalopolis.

And I also agree with another poster that if you're looking for a Chicago/midwestern flavor in the populace, Florida's west coast is the place to be. In South Florida, depending on where you are, the influences are Latin America, New York and New Jersey -- and, to a lesser extent, other areas in the Northeast such as Boston, Philly and western New York. I mean, it's almost impossible to get a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza here -- Pizzeria Uno withdrew from the area years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 16,537 times
I just moved to Delray Beach very nice quaint house in a very nice area. Within two weeks family member was mugged while leaving a restaurant on Atlantic ... he had foolish parked his car in a dark area off just one block away.
He was stabbed, beaten with a baseball bat and of course everything was stollen including his car. He is still in the hospital recovering.......welcome to Delray Beach!

Now we know that GANGS are rampant in the area.........they sure don't print that in the brochures.

Crime is actually higher here than in Miami........I think the recommendations for Miami are right on! Good Luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 PM

552 posts, read 445,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
Couldn't help but stumble across this thread, having grown up in the Chicago area. I think Chicago vs. South Florida is an apples vs. oranges comparison. In metropolitan Chicago, the driving force is the central city (although boosters of places like Schaumburg and Naperville might argue that). South Florida, on the other hand, is three distinct counties/metropolitan areas that form a megalopolis.

And I also agree with another poster that if you're looking for a Chicago/midwestern flavor in the populace, Florida's west coast is the place to be. In South Florida, depending on where you are, the influences are Latin America, New York and New Jersey -- and, to a lesser extent, other areas in the Northeast such as Boston, Philly and western New York. I mean, it's almost impossible to get a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza here -- Pizzeria Uno withdrew from the area years ago.
Orlando's the same.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 AM

19 posts, read 51,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native51 View Post

And in terms of crime, if people are genuinely afraid to leave their house at night because they feel they'll get shot or robbed then they really need to move north because that's no way to live life. Stay away from the high crime areas that have been mentioned ad nauseum on this site and you'll be fine 99% of the time.
Is it really that bad? I'm considering a move down there from New Orleans. I can't imagine its as bad down there as it is here. Here you truly are taking a big risk by driving through or even walking down the street at night in certain areas. Robbery, kidnapping, hit and runs, catching a stray bullet, or even being executed for witnessing something are real possibilities here if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time (a lot of gang activity here). I've lived in St. Louis as well (south city/the hill) and compared to New Orleans, the crime in St. Louis is like a walk in the park and they have the 2nd highest murder rate behind NOLA. I really need to get down there to see how bad this crime is people speak of. I'd think crime here is more in line with certain areas of Miami.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 10,249 times
This is GREAT. My first time on, and I too was / am considering moving...And wanted to read re various cities. This was an awesome Thread. I want to now go read re West coast of Fla, and since I am from Chicago, I should stay in touch with dreamer 312. I am 42 SWF ready to relocate...Losing job, and house is on market now! Wish me a sale here quick!, Please!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 AM

4,299 posts, read 13,620,997 times
Everytime I pop on here looking for something encouraging it seems to get worse

Old 07-02-2009, 01:17 PM

88 posts, read 370,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny561 View Post
tequesta (who the hell lives in tequesta?)
I live in Tequesta after living in Brisaine, Austrailia, Honolulu, Haleiwa and Hilo (HI), Newport Beach and Huntington Beach (CA), West Palm Beach, to name a few, and woud not live anywhere else. My girlfirend also moved from Chicago to Tequesta nine years ago and wouldn't live anywhere else. I really like the fact no one wants to move there. Keep up the comments on Tequesta so it remains unchanged!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:46 PM

623 posts, read 1,103,545 times
Wow, Boca boring? I don't agree.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:31 PM
m5*

166 posts, read 578,491 times
I love Tequesta!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:30 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,126,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty911 View Post
I live in Tequesta after living in Brisaine, Austrailia, Honolulu, Haleiwa and Hilo (HI), Newport Beach and Huntington Beach (CA), West Palm Beach, to name a few, and woud not live anywhere else. My girlfirend also moved from Chicago to Tequesta nine years ago and wouldn't live anywhere else. I really like the fact no one wants to move there. Keep up the comments on Tequesta so it remains unchanged!
Ditto you. I L O V E Tequesta. My mother lived at Broadview siince 1979 before the townhouses next door were built and before the stupid car dealer and the few McMansions down on the water.

It's my number one place to move "back to" in the future. Broadview, as a matter of fact if it's in my price range. The view is great. Although I really like Vero too, but Vero is bigger and I prefer the village of Tequesta vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach