U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 AM

466 posts, read 758,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf122 View Post
don't move!! i am from ny and i hate it here. it is a cultural dead zone, there aren't any diners, good pizza, bagels, bread, etc. the schools are awful. stay in ny!!!

Do you own a compass ? Set the bearing to N and start walking...... fast !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 03:15 PM
m5*

166 posts, read 579,776 times
I'd die without cultured bread!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,698,297 times
Smile Great restaurants? Yes, there are so many...

Wonderful places, get out and explore. Example - Atlantic Avenue in Delray has so much. Visit one of the restaurants, sit outside and enjoy!

Our daughter lives in NYC, doing the single thing, she'll be back here eventually. She's already moved 3 times in less than 2 years, she has a decent job but she's exploring.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 AM

10 posts, read 50,237 times
I have a quick question, to the people that are saying that the schools in FL are horrible, I just wanted to know how are they horrible (details)? I currently live in NYC and am thinking about moving somewhere warm. Our son currently attends NYC private school (costing an arm and a leg!) because the schools up here in ny are pretty horrible so I am wondering how are the FL schools any worse?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,706,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelP View Post
I have a quick question, to the people that are saying that the schools in FL are horrible, I just wanted to know how are they horrible (details)? I currently live in NYC and am thinking about moving somewhere warm. Our son currently attends NYC private school (costing an arm and a leg!) because the schools up here in ny are pretty horrible so I am wondering how are the FL schools any worse?
Palm Beach County has an very good school system overall.

In some of the family suburbs such as Jupiter and Palm Beach Gardens, Boca, and Wellington, the public schools have very good reputations.

Sometimes I see people on this board and others deride Florida public schools, but it is always my opinion that the composition of the school and quality of the student body itself is a lot more indicative of "school quality" than the school itself.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 AM

16,398 posts, read 13,105,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmagypsy7 View Post
I lived in NYC for about 7 years, and my fiance is a born and bred NYer.

Erm, South FL is great in terms of weather {exception of Summer} being near the ocean, and we really love City Place but that's about it for us. Oh and getting away from the hustle and bustle because we are new parents. I didn't want to raise our daughter in the smog and all that noise. However I have to say that we REALLY miss NYC.

There isn't much here in terms of culture, like the Met, Broadway, and art galleries and such so if you are a person that is into that, then you are going to be sorely disappointed and bored. Also people down here are not into intellectual pursuits as most New Yorkers I know. Most people down here seem to be more interested in driving these flashy cars and playing golf. Yeah I am totally stereotyping and making very broad blanket statements, but that is what I encountered.

Food here is mediocre at best. We only found handful of restaurants that we enjoy dining out in. Most of the places are way overrated and forget about finding a good NY style pizza. We haven't been able to find any.

We are going to stay down here for another year or two because of Fiance's job but we look forward to moving back up North. It's too hot in the summer, there is absolutely no culture down here, and schools are suppose to be horrible, unless you resort putting your children into private schools.

And as an Asian American, I find it difficult to be around predominantly white area. I am used to seeing people from all different race and culture walking down the street. So I feel a bit fish out of the water. We try to enjoy it as much as we can; we love the beach and try to go as much as possible, but honestly, we will never be South Floridians for life.
There's great pizza to be had in both places, but overall we have much more great pizza here in south Florida than you do in New York.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 AM

326 posts, read 1,042,623 times
Quote:
don't move!! i am from ny and i hate it here. it is a cultural dead zone, there aren't any diners, good pizza, bagels, bread, etc. the schools are awful. stay in ny!!!
This person forgot to warn you about negative people like him that always find something to complain about. This person must stay cooked up in their house year round.
Their's plenty of NYer's open up shop down here you just gotta look. Just about anyplace in Boca heavy NY and NJers will have their style of pizza and bagels.
Bread are you kidding me just go to a Cuban bakery best bread you can get in Florida probally in the South. I gave a loaf to my friend from Philly and my gf from NJ they say it's some of the best bread they've ever had. My girl said it's much better than the Cuban bread they had in Union City.
If you can't find a good restuarant just go to a seafood restaurant they're just about all good and when in doubt go to a Cuban restaurant.
Look and you shall find here in South Florida

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM

466 posts, read 758,933 times
Quote:
Anyone with your obvious lack of spelling, grammar and punctuation skills shouldn't be judging culture.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:03 PM

638 posts, read 1,026,654 times
I moved here from NYC after 42 years!!! I can tell you that there are things I prefer about Florida and things I do not. First the great things:
1) I don't care how hot it gets in the summer....I'll take the weather here in Florida any day (hurricanes included) to the cold and snow of New York City.
2) There is less traffic here in Palm Beach County. I travel to the northernmost part of Dade County everyday for work and it takes me about 50 minutes to 1 hour. People down here ask me how I do it...I tell them they have never driven through lower/midtown Manhattan day in and day out as I did.
3) Although there are ALOT of transplanted Northeasterners here, I still find more people that are friendly, smile, and willing to say hello day in and day out.
4) Can't beat the beauty and the green of Florida....palm trees make you feel like you are on vacation every day.
5) There is culture here if you want it..don't listen to people who say there is NO culture...I saw Jersey Boys at the Broward Arts Center in Fort Lauderdale (a beautiful venue) and it was EVERY bit as good as the version I saw on Broadway three times. You also have the Kravitz Center and cultural centers in Miami if there is something you really want to see. There is the Bank Atlantic Center in Broward which always has concerts, you have the Hard Rock in Broward which has comedy shows and musical performers it seems like every week.

What I don't like:
1) I believe there is more violent crime here in South Florida, as a whole, when compared to New York City. Now that doesn't mean there are not BEAUTIFUL areas down here because there are and they are very safe but there are definitely crime issues down here.
2) You mentioned schools. All of my children go to "A" rated schools. I can't even tell you what that means...what I can tell you is that the most important goal for the schools down here is passing the famous FCAT. It seems they teach the kids to pass a test....not necessarily to learn. After taking the FCAT it is almost like school is out down here. The kids have parties and watch movies. I believe the statistics will bear out that the schools in New York City (no matter how screwed up you thought they were) are better than the schools down here.

That's about it...for me Florida wins hands down........make sure you have a job because the market down here is real tough right now. Good for you is the overheated real estate market has corrected and lost some of the excess so it is a good time to buy with future appreciation in mind. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,626 times
I am from NY, born and raised, Brooklyn then LI came to Palm Beach Gardens in 1990 and went back to LI in 2001 stayed in LI until 2009 and all I can say is that NYC is the Greatest City in the World BUT, living in PBG is Truly PARADISE. Great New Bagel shop in WPB in the Village Commons Plaza next to Outback its called BIG CITY BAGEL, breakfest and lunch, foods awsome and the guys who own it are great guys. See you there and lets talk about NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach