Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,302,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post
Yes, I have been working/living here for nearly a year.
Are you now located in Southern Florida? How did you like the transition?
yes we are in Boca..So far no complaints, everyone is very friendly, and its like living in NY but in a good way...We are here a month now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM

86 posts, read 226,344 times
Congratulations on your move! I hope the result continues to be positive for you.
I am looking forward to seeing all that the area has to offer, and avoiding the northeast winters!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLizzy View Post
Congratulations on your move! I hope the result continues to be positive for you.
I am looking forward to seeing all that the area has to offer, and avoiding the northeast winters!
Where are u moving too?

Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,799,488 times
Hey I am in Boca too. I came from MI. I know you just got here 1 month ago and I was here from Dec to March and then went back to MI and now came back a week or so ago and made the final move. Anyhow it is a little different in season cause obviously there is more snow birds. You have to wait longer at restaurants,grocery,etc. Not a huge deal just what I noticed.
Misslizzy I am 30 but anyhow there are younger people and I am trying to join some groups where I did meet others that have moved as well. You can email me if you want. What part of Boca are you going to be in? Just remember transition is hard but give yourself time. I was here for a few months before but have been here 1.5 weeks again and I am homesick but just try to focus that it takes time.
Good luck all and if I can help anyone I am here. I'm still clueless to an extent but did go through the transition already and was here like I said for months and did the whol looking in different areas for places to live so on.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:33 AM

86 posts, read 226,344 times
DaniellaG

I am moving to South Ocean blvd in Boca, Im working as a live in personal assistant. I enjoy being a personal assistant but do not really have other 'co-workers' to meet.

What kind of groups are you joining? Homesickness takes time, fortunately Ive lived in 6 different states so I just kind of go with the flow.

So is the pace slower? It sounds like it. I THINK I can adjust to it, although Ive become the typical NJ inpatient person.

Hope it gets better for you! Feel free to email me too, anytime. And thanks so much for your help.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Hey I am in Boca too. I came from MI. I know you just got here 1 month ago and I was here from Dec to March and then went back to MI and now came back a week or so ago and made the final move. Anyhow it is a little different in season cause obviously there is more snow birds. You have to wait longer at restaurants,grocery,etc. Not a huge deal just what I noticed.
Misslizzy I am 30 but anyhow there are younger people and I am trying to join some groups where I did meet others that have moved as well. You can email me if you want. What part of Boca are you going to be in? Just remember transition is hard but give yourself time. I was here for a few months before but have been here 1.5 weeks again and I am homesick but just try to focus that it takes time.
Good luck all and if I can help anyone I am here. I'm still clueless to an extent but did go through the transition already and was here like I said for months and did the whol looking in different areas for places to live so on.
Danielle, you are so right about Transition, summer time is harder than fall since alot of people are away as well...

getting involved is a great idea...good luck to both of you

Old 07-08-2009, 05:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,799,488 times
Hey again. I have moved around a lot and it does begin to feel more like home after awhile. Even the little things like finding a favorite restaurant etc make it more comfortable. There is this website called meet up. You put in your zip and there are different groups for hobbies,social etc. It just takes 1 friend to lift ones spirits I think and also can help you meet others. Since you mentioned health I noticed a lot of groups like yoga etc. I used to live in NJ too. Anyhow it is different and I think even Boca is different in summer vs winter due to the snow birds. Much busier and different personalities. For me I just plan for things to take more time like at the store etc.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 AM

90 posts, read 225,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf122 View Post
don't move!! i am from ny and i hate it here. it is a cultural dead zone, there aren't any diners, good pizza, bagels, bread, etc. the schools are awful. stay in ny!!!
Hmm...that's funny...pretty sure Suncoast is rated one of the top ten best public schools in the country, and Dreyfous is top 100. The non magnet schools aren't great, to be sure.

Food? I've never lived in New York, but the restaurants in Palm Beach/The Gardens especially are better than in Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, Boston, Orange County (CA), Louisville and Scottsdale, just based on where I've lived. I'd be happy to give recommendations. I eat out 3-4 times a week and love it. Of course, there aren't diners and the pizza isn't as good as NY. I personally despise diners and bagels haha.

Every place in the US is a cultural dead zone compared to NY, but it isn't like Palm Beach is Birmingham, Alabama. Have you gone to the actual island much? It has some pretty neat cultural opportunities, and really great charity galas etc.

I am personally convinced I will never find a place I like as much as Palm Beach County. I am never really happy except when I'm there. Everyone is different, of course.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:13 PM

593 posts, read 1,909,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
There's great pizza to be had in both places, but overall we have much more great pizza here in south Florida than you do in New York.
ok, that just isn't true imo. you get a better pizza in any subway station than anywhere in south florida. we have some phenomenal restaurants here (cafe max anyone?) but the pizza is awful

Old 07-08-2009, 04:19 PM

593 posts, read 1,909,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Anyone with your obvious lack of spelling, grammar and punctuation skills shouldn't be judging culture.
why? are perfect "writing manners" a must for appreciation of culture?

i'm just asking because i am an academic with a bevy of degrees and don't type any better than the poster in question and feel i can judge culture quite well.

in fact, i consider myself a very proficient cultural critic: comma splices, lower case letters, and all. . .

so i am wondering what it is about spelling, grammar, and punctuation that are essential to cultural criticism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach