Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM

17 posts, read 112,388 times

Advertisements

My son is a college student starting a summer internship in north Fort Lauderdale tomorrow and is commuting from his aunt's house in Jupiter. We have received conflicting information about which route would be safest for him. He needs to arrive by 8:45am on the first day and then 8am after that on weekdays. Also, would it be very different for the morning or evening commute for him? I would really especially appreciate comments about safety as well as what kind of traffic to expect. Also curious to know typically when the summer afternoon showers typically happen-- hopefully not during rush hour. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,266 times
Can't help you on the commute, but afternoon showers are not on a schedule-can rain at any time.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
When you say "safety", your worried about highway robbers? Take the turnpike (91) just for a slightly faster and much more pleasant ride. Neither have much of a rush hour issue although I-95 can slow down a little bit around Ft. Lauderdale (down to 45-50 mph between 595 and about Sunrise Blvd, speed limit 55-65). The only problem with the turnpike is that if there is an accident, getting off to an alternate route can be difficult in some spots. As the above poster said, showers don't run on a schedule.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:47 PM

17 posts, read 112,388 times
Thanks for your replies. By highway safety I was referring to accidents and such. I've heard that I-95, at least in south Florida, is considered to be one of the most dangerous US highways and that you see lots of pretty crazy, fast driving, and that it's safer on the turnpike is better. But then I heard the turnpike is just as bad or worse. As for highway robbers, I hadn't thought of that...didn't actually know they existed except in westerns. Any further thoughts on highway safety such as accidents, dangerous on-ramps, etc. would be most welcome.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:55 PM

I-95 north of about Lantana Rd becomes a messy construction zone that is prime accident territory. Additionally, the turnpike is also under construction between the (very confusing) 595 interchange and Commercial Blvd, with it becoming a very smooth and easy ride beyond that point with a speed limit up to 70 MPH beyond the Boynton toll plaza. There is some fast driving on the turnpike, but mostly in the left lane. Riding in the middle to right lane is usually pretty pleasant and because there aren't a lot of entrances or exits the flow tends to be less erratic compared to 95. I-95 has a problem with left lane hogs and therefore you are going to see a lot more aggressive driving in ALL 3 to 5 lanes, and also a lot more weaving in/out of traffic due to the frequent on/off ramps.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:53 AM

282 posts, read 806,905 times
Both will be bad as far as traffic is concerned. But I95 may be slightly worse since it has construction.

Another option to consider are the tolls. If money is of no concern, then don't bother, but that can add up day after day.

Either way, he needs to leave early and be prepared for a long ride home.

Has he considered the tri-rail? He could possibly drive to the location closest to his house and then ride it to his Ft. Lauderdale destination, assuming he's not too far from the station.

At least then he could relax a bit more, read a book, listen to music, do work, etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
Both will be bad as far as traffic is concerned.
This isn't really true because the major rush hour traffic delays in Broward/Palm Beach are coming from/to the east/west. Even getting through an accident scene isn't that bad unless you are deep into the turnpike away from an exit. A high volume of cars moving at 70 MPH versus being the only one on the road doesn't mean "bad traffic".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach