Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM

87 posts, read 359,643 times

Advertisements

O.K I got a bit excited when I saw there were affordable places in Jupiter that actually allowed horses ( I have one)...Jupiter Farms that is...then I got on a website that community members write in on and saw a lot of dialogue about drugs in the neighborhood, a sex offender, littering, lack of police support etc..., well that was scary...I get it that drugs are a problem no matter how nice a community is and also you always have a sex offender (yuck I know) or two in every community but how much of it is what is concerning. I have two daughters ages 12 and 8 so this does matter to me. Can anyone tell me what Jupiter Farms is like? How is it really (like this?) or am I just getting a one sided view? Also are schools good? heard they were but....please shed some light here if you can...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 PM

475 posts, read 1,492,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReniHope View Post
O.K I got a bit excited when I saw there were affordable places in Jupiter that actually allowed horses ( I have one)...Jupiter Farms that is...then I got on a website that community members write in on and saw a lot of dialogue about drugs in the neighborhood, a sex offender, littering, lack of police support etc..., well that was scary...I get it that drugs are a problem no matter how nice a community is and also you always have a sex offender (yuck I know) or two in every community but how much of it is what is concerning. I have two daughters ages 12 and 8 so this does matter to me. Can anyone tell me what Jupiter Farms is like? How is it really (like this?) or am I just getting a one sided view? Also are schools good? heard they were but....please shed some light here if you can...Thanks!
I have lived in the Jupiter area for over 30 years, I have not heard ANY THING TERRIBLE about Jupiter Farms. The minister at my church (who has 4 children) lives in the "Farms", I have had co-workers who lived in the Farms, many children that were on sports teams with my children lived in the farms. Even Burt Reynolds had a ranch in the Farms for many years. NOT ONE TIME; have I had anyone talk about the Farms being unsafe.

As far as the Sex Offender, you can actually access a list that shows where they live. You are going to be shocked when you see that Registered Sex Offenders pretty much live in everyone's neighborhood.

http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Jupiter-Florida.html

Schools:
I have found the schools in Jupiter to be very good. My children went to Limestone Creek Elementary School and Jupiter Middle. When each of them reached High School, they chose Magnet schools to attend. My son graduated from Suncoast High School - (IB Program) and my daughter graduated from Dreyfoos School of the Arts. Both of these schools have extremely high national ratings. Both of my children graduated from Florida colleges as well, my daughter graduated CumLadi last month from FSU in Tallahassee, she completed her degree in 3 1/2 years, was on the Presidents List 3 times, and the Dean's List the balance of the semesters; while working part time and volunteering in the community. So I would have to say Jupiter Schools are pretty good.

You can use the link below to check the school boundaries to determine which school your children would be assigned based on the address of the home you are considering.
Facilities Management :: Planning Department :: Boundaries :: Palm Beach School District

Good luck to you and your family, I love living in Jupiter, it is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM

Thank you so much for your response...as it was a nice one and I was excited to hear the great things had you had to say!...I'm still wondering why though people would be posting all these things on a community website without balancing it out and reporting all the good stuff like you had to say...Are there certain sections of Jupiter Farms better then others? Sounds like a horsey community (I really want that) and close knit community...I also appreciate your comments about the schools and the websites to check out and will do...your children sound wonderful and you must be proud of them-and should. Sounds like the schools are good and that is what really matters to me and my husband...Can you tell me how far you think Jupiter Farms is from the beaches and Jupiter itself? Also is there a zoning law for horses? Am looking to have two horses on my property. Again thank you for your help...its hard outside looking in!

P.S Interesting tidbit about Burt Reynolds!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for your response...as it was a nice one and I was excited to hear the great things had you had to say!...I'm still wondering why though people would be posting all these things on a community website without balancing it out and reporting all the good stuff like you had to say...Are there certain sections of Jupiter Farms better then others? Sounds like a horsey community (I really want that) and close knit community...I also appreciate your comments about the schools and the websites to check out and will do...your children sound wonderful and you must be proud of them-and should. Sounds like the schools are good and that is what really matters to me and my husband...Can you tell me how far you think Jupiter Farms is from the beaches and Jupiter itself? Also is there a zoning law for horses? Am looking to have two horses on my property. Again thank you for your help...its hard outside looking in!

P.S Interesting tidbit about Burt Reynolds!
I would say that most homeowners in the Farms can get to the beaches in 15 to 20 minutes. There are gorgious beaches all along the coast, there is an old lighthouse at Jupiter Inlet, you can actually climb to the top, if you fish there are charter and drift boats that leave from the inlet.

As you go south from the inlet there is inlet park, which is very popular and has lots of trees and picnic areas. Continuing south there is Carlin Park, it has the beach, tennis courts, baseball field, Excercise Trail, Anphtheater, a playground and picnic shelters. Also very popular.

There is parallel parking all along Beach Road from Carlin Park to Donald Ross Road, there are some areas that are good for surfing and kite sailing. When you get down near Donald Ross Road there is a Loggerhead Park, technically you are in Juno at that point, but there is a Marine Life Center. The sea turtles nest along our beaches, so the Marine Life Center sometimes has to rescue some of them.

The main road from the Farms into Jupiter is Indiantown Rd. - if you went east on it, you would end up on the north end of Carlin Park.

Not sure about the restrictions on the horses.

The thing that I like about Jupiter is there are alot of family things to do, and the families are involved. JTAA - Jupiter Tequesta Athletic Association fields thousands of kids year round, baseball, football, basketball, soccer, softball. Great way to keep the kids busy and meet your neighbors.

Jupiter does not have a "downtown" area, just shopping plazas and restaurants along the main roads or near the beach, such as Indiantown Rd. - however there is an area called Abacoa - it is in Jupiter, it has a downtown, restaurants, shops, FAU "Florida Atlantic University", Roger Dean Stadium, where there are Spring Training Games. Here again it would be 15 - 20 minutes to the Farms, but it also would depend on how close your house was to the main roads.

The Farms areas would be patroled by Palm Beach County Sheriff's Dept., I am unsure how you could get their statistics, perhaps someone reading this posting will know.

I am happy to respond to any of your questions.

Take care

Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Reedsmit...That all sounds good...and you are really helping me with imformation-thanks...I just actually checked on a property in the "Farms" and the taxes were 5700k...wow!!! Thats more then I was paying up north...is that normal? Land was just over 1 and a 1/4 acre...Also what would you get for your taxes? What would that cover? I don't think there is any community amenties such as a pool/tennis courts etc...so wondering about that and hoping you may know...

Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,281,475 times
Quote:
Reedsmit...That all sounds good...and you are really helping me with imformation-thanks...I just actually checked on a property in the "Farms" and the taxes were 5700k...wow!!! Thats more then I was paying up north...is that normal? Land was just over 1 and a 1/4 acre...Also what would you get for your taxes? What would that cover? I don't think there is any community amenties such as a pool/tennis courts etc...so wondering about that and hoping you may know...
Property taxes in Florida are roughly 2% of assessed value. Assessed value may or may not correlate to purchase price. Also, never go buy a previous owner's taxes, as yours will end up being different after a year, because of changes in assessed value, homestead exemption, etc.

What do you get for that? Nothing special... just no income tax, no car tax, and no tax on groceries!

There may be municipal pools, tennis etc. in Jupiter/the farms, etc....

Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
If you go to the Palm Beach County Tax Appraiser at

Property Appraiser, Palm Beach County, Florida, USA

You can do a property search, put in the address of the home.

There will be alot of information at that site: parcel control numbers, owner, year built, appraisels, structure detail, tax calculator and tax detail.

If you click the tax detail it will show you exactly what the taxes pay for. My home is on a city lot, and we have gotten a $50,000 Homestead Exemption - (you can apply for this after you have lived in the house for a period of time; I believe it is one year) You would not be taxed on that $50,000.
My proposed taxes are $1,964.20 - $406.00 are for garbage service. The balance is broken up in the following ways: Children's Services: $48.88, Florida Inland Navigation Dist. $2.44, Health Care District $81.14, Jupiter Inlet District $8.88, Palm Beach County $307.82, Palm Beach County Debt $15.41, Palm Beach Fire Rescue $245.05, Library $35.22, Library Debt $3.88, Public Schools by Local Board $239.46, Public Schools by State Law $525.80, S.F. Water Mgmt District $37.88, S.F. Water Mgmt District - Everglades Construction $6.34.

Amenities such as pool and tennis courts would not be paid for under your property taxes unless you lived in an area that had a City Pool or City Tennis Courts. A lot of communities have these type of amenities which are funded through your Homeowners or Condo Association Fees. There is actually one community in the Farms, that is a "Fly In" community and it has a landing strip as the owners have small planes.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 AM

TriMT7...your older posts indicated you were interested in buying in the farms...are you still looking there?And your thoughts about it?...and thanks Reedsmit for tax info and breakdown! I do not see anywhere if Jupiter Farms has a community pool or tennis courts but if it does my family would be in heaven...

Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,281,475 times
Quote:
TriMT7...your older posts indicated you were interested in buying in the farms...are you still looking there?And your thoughts about it?...and thanks Reedsmit for tax info and breakdown! I do not see anywhere if Jupiter Farms has a community pool or tennis courts but if it does my family would be in heaven...
No, I bought in downtown West Palm in June 2008. Love Jupiter, Gardens, etc. though as well.

I don't recall looking at the Farms, but I did look at Palm Beach Country Estates for a short while (another area you may want to look at. It's also in Jupiter West of I-95 on Donald Ross Road).

They are both good areas for acreage, etc. My only gripe was the dirt roads that are prevalent (but that goes with a more rural setting). In a different time and place in my life I may reconsider.

There is an aquatic complex in Jupiter, where you can use the amenities for a very reasonable price: Jupiter Parents | North County Aquatic Complex in Jupiter, Florida!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,486,129 times
Quote:
Have you considered Loxahatchee? The area is lovely, great schools and very safe.
There is a concern right now with a possible "cancer cluster" but in all reality there is NO proof so no one really know for sure. I live out in this area and I have a paint mare. This area is a huge horse area. The prices are more reasonable than Jupiter Farms.

On a side note.
There unfortunately sex offenders EVERYWHERE some have been caught but in all reality there are even more that have not been caught.
Always watch your kids and educate them on good touch bad touch etc...

Best of luck with the house search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach