Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,224 times

Advertisements

Ok so in a few years i'll be graduating from dental school (have to decide if i want to specialize) and then i'll probably work for a year or maybe two before opening a practice. Now i've been considering getting my license to practice in florida then finding a job as an associate dentist then moving down there.

I'm from CT, but originally from west palm. I still have family in west palm beach (uncle and his family). My father would love to move down there, out of the cold winters (which i agree are very cold). I visit a few weeks every year (i just got back a few days ago.) I would rather deal with the heat than snow.

I'm just wondering outloud, if this sounds feasible. I know that the FL licensure exam is one of the harder to pass, but more of a concern is how the job market for dentists is in the west palm beach area? I would assume that it's an over-served area?

generally how do you like living in florida year round? i was born there but my parents moved away when i was 5.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 PM

272 posts, read 909,065 times
I loved living in Fl. year round. Also, check with Dr. David Kagan in Boca and see if he needs an associate.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Would you finish school in the state you are in or transfer? I was a snow bird though 30 and just made the move full time. It is hot but like you I hate the very long winters. I think though what ever will give you the best long term opportunity needs to be the focus rather then weather. I agree about talking to someone who works in the dentist field in both areas and to see what would fit your needs. It is nice you have family by though in FL cause I know that is very hard for me being out of state. Good luck on your choice

Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 PM

yes well i wou;d have to obtain a license to practice in FL, (sad they don't accept the NERB)

i would like to move down there once i graduate as that will be the time in life where i'll have the least responsibilities. I would think that with the many retirees that there is a good source of patients too :-)

@flgrammie: thanks for the contact, seems like a very well respected dentist in the area. I'll hope that in a few years i could inquire about an associate position for a year or two.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:05 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,160 times
If you can find a good job then why not?? You can always move back. I'm from Wisconsin and I don't miss snow at all, never going back. I had a great position there too and I'm so much happier down here. It would be a lot easier for you since you have family as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 AM

excellent, as long as i can find an associateship down there i'll move after graduation, (hopefully i can afford the move else i'll have to work a year up north first)

the winters are brutally cold, not to mention the salt on my car! :-O

thanks for the input, it's nice to know that others haved moved from up north down to FL and have liked it enough to stay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach