U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach County
1,683 posts, read 3,681,959 times
Reputation: 610

Advertisements

Home sale prices rise in Palm Beach County, fall in Treasure Coast (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/content/business/epaper/2009/07/23/0723homesales.html - broken link)

Good to see the news finally reporting a positive change in the real estate market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2009, 11:12 AM
 
3,913 posts, read 7,968,616 times
Reputation: 1890
It won't last long. As long as people keep losing their jobs and corporations keep downsizing and shipping jobs overseas, less and less people will be able to afford a house. Add to that the 3 year excess housing supply. The recent upswing in housing is just a spike in the demand curve. A number of people from CA and NY recently started moving to South FL since our market is so affordable now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 08:38 PM
 
162 posts, read 596,263 times
Reputation: 88
The increase in sales is certainly a good thing, but I wouldn't pay all too much attention to the median sales price. We might be seeing a floor in lower priced product (say, under $200,000), but most of the higher priced homes still have a way to fall. There is a good chance that the median price will actually go up as higher end product is absorbed at a lower (but still above median) price. The next "wave" of Option ARM and Alt-A foreclosures will likely target those higher priced homes.

It's going to take a few years to absorb all the REO and resale inventory. At least we're not as bad as Broward and Miami-Dade...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Boynton Beach
66 posts, read 214,814 times
Reputation: 36
Well, I hope to be one of those So Cal couples that moves to South Florida! It sure does look appealing compared to what we get out here for the housing dollar. Not to mention, all that lovely warm water and non-smoggy air!

Interesting to note though that values are on the rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM
 
5,165 posts, read 5,319,164 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Home sale prices rise in Palm Beach County, fall in Treasure Coast (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/content/business/epaper/2009/07/23/0723homesales.html - broken link)

Good to see the news finally reporting a positive change in the real estate market.
You are an agent and praising this news as is if it were good? Housing has become so much more affordable to people and that is why Sales are up. If you want prices to skyrocket again you are the typical greedy agent many of us have come to loathe.

Besides the flaw in this number is if 2 mansions are sold at mulitple millions of dollars that skews the numbers. Oh and take a look at Case Shiller today. not good news for S. Florida.

However, 15 cities managed to avoid month-to-month declines, up from nine last month. Prices in Tampa and New York were flat, while just Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami, Phoenix and Las Vegas posted monthly declines.

Being one of the few regions that had a decline is nothing to be happy about.

A Look at Case-Shiller Numbers, by Metro Area (July 2009 update) - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2009, 11:08 AM
 
17,297 posts, read 25,660,037 times
Reputation: 8567
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
You are an agent and praising this news as is if it were good? Housing has become so much more affordable to people and that is why Sales are up. If you want prices to skyrocket again you are the typical greedy agent many of us have come to loathe.
I am not an agent, but stabilization of home prices would do a world of good, both for existing home owner's AND people looking to put down roots who are trying to time the best time to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse
Besides the flaw in this number is if 2 mansions are sold at mulitple millions of dollars that skews the numbers. Oh and take a look at Case Shiller today. not good news for S. Florida.
The real flaw in the PBC market is that what IS selling are REOs, short sales, etc..... a lot more of THAT going on than mansion sales.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse
However, 15 cities managed to avoid month-to-month declines, up from nine last month. Prices in Tampa and New York were flat, while just Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami, Phoenix and Las Vegas posted monthly declines.

Being one of the few regions that had a decline is nothing to be happy about.

A Look at Case-Shiller Numbers, by Metro Area (July 2009 update) - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Palm Beach County is not Miami. As the OP did post, however, home sales are down in the Treasure Coast --- just north of PBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach County
1,683 posts, read 3,681,959 times
Reputation: 610
Wow so many negative responses... I'm not sure how hoping for some stability/signs of an upward trend equal greed, but way to read into things. I posted this because it's a possible sign that things may be slowly turning around. It doesn't say everything is better and the world is perfect. People post so much negative press on these forums about how bad it is down here it makes me question why they live here.
I've always wondered why some people hate sales people so much, and consider them greedy because they get paid a commission to help someone purchase or sell something. Do you work for free? Just because good sales people make a good living doesn't mean they are greedy, it may just mean they actually work hard to earn a living...
Also have mansion sales not always skewed the numbers in Palm Beach County??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 AM
 
162 posts, read 596,263 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Wow so many negative responses... I'm not sure how hoping for some stability/signs of an upward trend equal greed, but way to read into things. I posted this because it's a possible sign that things may be slowly turning around. It doesn't say everything is better and the world is perfect. People post so much negative press on these forums about how bad it is down here it makes me question why they live here.
I've always wondered why some people hate sales people so much, and consider them greedy because they get paid a commission to help someone purchase or sell something. Do you work for free? Just because good sales people make a good living doesn't mean they are greedy, it may just mean they actually work hard to earn a living...
Also have mansion sales not always skewed the numbers in Palm Beach County??
I think some of the hate against real estate agents stems from the housing boom, when there were agents that pushed the "by now, home prices never fall!", or "you'll never be able to afford a home if you don't buy now!" shtick. People got caught up in the hype, and are now paying the price.

I've been to a number of Realtor events over the past few years and the one thing I've consistently heard is the fault of the media over the housing downturn. The market rise was clearly unsustainable, as were lending practices. While the media did sensationalize stories on the market rise and fall, to blame the media for the downturn is disingenuous at best.

Things are going to get better here in PBC, it's just going to take time. And when things do improve, it will be at a sustainable rate (4% average annual price increase, like what occurred in the 90's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Central Fl
2,903 posts, read 10,921,597 times
Reputation: 2860
Careful..........I will not allow this thread to turn into a Real estate agent bashing thread.
There are many real estate agents here who have been quite helpful....including Skyinlet.

As in anything, the law of supply and demand dictates prices, etc. Sometimes I just do not understand Floridians.........weather prices are up or down, they seem to complain. Many were hurt, and I feel bad for those who own nice places in once nice neighborhoods, who through no fault of their own have seen their equity turn sour and their neighborhoods turn into unkept ghosttowns.

The healthiest market is when there is a non excessive supply of both buyers and sellers, with stabilized prices. If the signs indicate things are turning in that direction, it is good.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,393 posts, read 13,067,633 times
Reputation: 72216
"Sometimes I just do not understand Floridians.........weather prices are up or down, they seem to complain."

Careful! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top