Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM

17 posts, read 38,762 times

Advertisements

I am transferring from my job and don't know what to do!!! I really need some advice sound kinda demanding but this is really what I need. I currently live in MA, but am moving to FL in month and 1/2. I have a 6 yr old and I wanna find a good school and a good place to live. I have only been to FL once!!!!
When I told a few people that my transfer was to north palm beach the first thing I was told was AVOID BY ALL MEANS GOING TO WPB! But because I was a little skeptical I said what the heck... so that some1 decided to show me a dvd called Hood Life or something and OMG was I shocked! But now what done is done and I cant loose my job over some dvd I REALLY HAVE TO MOVE NOW!!! Can any1 tell me a good place to live that is affordable??? Im moving from MA b/c here the rent is so expensive plus the weather is awful ( I just moved from PR) PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:53 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,638,841 times
Not all of WPB is Hood Life. North Palm is OK. Juno is very close and nice.Don't worry you will be fine.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,288,483 times
you can look in Jupiter too..Very good schools and family oriented..

Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,879,782 times
Please tell us what size apartment you want, the rent you can pay per month, exactly where your job will be located and if you need to be near reliable public transportation to get you to work. This will determine where you will need to look for housing.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,294,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictly professional
When I told a few people that my transfer was to north palm beach the first thing I was told was AVOID BY ALL MEANS GOING TO WPB! But because I was a little skeptical I said what the heck... so that some1 decided to show me a dvd called Hood Life or something and OMG was I shocked! But now what done is done and I cant loose my job over some dvd I REALLY HAVE TO MOVE NOW!!!

Sigh. This again. NEVER rely on a thug self-produced video to give you insight into what its like to live somewhere, unless you are going to be adopting that same lifestyle. You don't watch DVDs of "lifestyles of the rich and the famous" and expect to have that same experience, right? Likewise with gangsters and thugs turned amateur video producers.

The city of West Palm Beach HAS a "hood" (easily identifiable) --- it is not "THE HOOD." In fact, the vast majority of the city is not "the hood." Stay OUT of the hood and don't associate with that element and you will be fine. Riviera Beach, by contrast, IS mostly bad but still has a couple good areas (such as Singer Island).

You will easily be able to tell which parts of the city are bad, and which are good. As a general guideline, in the city of West Palm Beach, north of Banyan Blvd is where it gets rough.

As for Palm Beach COUNTY, there are plenty of other areas to live. Don't lose a job over some BS. What is "affordable" to you? People on this board can point you to good places for the money.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:30 PM

Honestly its not the fact of being in a ghetto bc as many know PR right is awful in crime, but just knowing that the houses here in the states are not all cement and I know for a fact that if there's a drive by or something a bullet can easily go through a wall is like kinda overwhelming, I know that I may go to extreme thinking of this but after you live in a small island and having it closed with 997 murders in a yr you kinda always get up in the morning and thank your even alive! But anyway, Well right now 900 would be ok for a 2br at least to have time and look at the surroundings and buy a new car, bc I would be using public transportation in the meanwhile! Hope some1 can help!!! And thanks for the post!!

Old 05-14-2011, 03:49 PM

Thank you Strictly Professional for posting 2 very important pieces of information: You require public transportation and you can pay $900 per month for a 2 bedroom apartment. The last piece of information needed is the location of your workplace in Palm Beach County. Once you provide that, I'm sure a number of people will give you some suggestions.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Its actually in North Palm beach on Northlake Blvd Hope this helps!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:34 PM

54 posts, read 64,715 times
I can't comment on schools because I don't have that experience (kids). But here is what I can tell you:

It is going to be difficult but not impossible. You will not be able to afford Jupiter or Juno Beach, unless you come across a really lucky deal. I would not look there because it will only frustrate you. A 2br in Jupiter or Juno may easily hit $1500.00/month.

There is actually 2 fairly new complexes, not too far from where you will be working. They are on N. Congress between W. Blue Heron Blvd. and Northlake Blvd. Now I know what people are going to say - that this is Riviera Beach and close to "the hood."

Yes, it is. However it is not "THE hood" just close by. You will learn what streets not to go down. If memory serves me correctly these apartments are gated and do have a security guard 24 hours, for whatever that's worth. In this bad economy you may even be able to get a deal like first month free, or something like that. It would be very close to your work. I would at least check it out.

There may be other places West of 95 on 45th street. The only other alternative that I can think up off the top of my head is like - live down in Lake Worth and commute up to Northlake Blvd. You can probably get a decent place down there for $900/month. But then you have at least 1/2 hour drive North every morning on 95, in order to get to work. I cannot comment on public transport as I did not ever use it. If it rains and there are accidents (this happens quite frequently in WPB) 95 will be delayed for an additional 1/2 hour to 1 hour. If you ever drive, drive defensively in PBC. There are a LOT of cars and a LOT of accidents along 95.

If you had a vehicle I would suggest checking out Hobe Sound area in Martin County. You would be able to commute from there to your job on Northlake without too much trouble. Hobe Sound may have some older units in your price range, and in my opinion it is a hidden gem, away from all the noise, traffic, "hoods," and whatever else.

One good thing is that I think they have finally completed the roadwork on 95, going through WPB. Not that they ever totally finish.....but I think it is done for the most part. Good luck to you and do not give up hope. Finding good, and affordable housing in PBCounty is always a challenge but it is not - I repeat NOT impossible. The bad economy is on your side. People are eager to rent. My advice is take a long weekend and fly down there and check it out beforehand. If you can't do that then be on the internet as much as possible. And do check out Craigslist as well. There are PLENTY of people willing to rent their homes due to the bad economy.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Getting some good information about the reliability and access to public transportation will be very important. I am not familiar with using public transportation. I would suggest that you search out information perhaps by starting a new thread /topic on City-Data asking specifically about people's first hand experience using public transportation to reach the Northlake area of North Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach