Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 15,274 times

Advertisements

We currently live on LI and we are thinking of relocating to FL. My husband has his CDL class A with all necessary endorsements and I have my degree in English and 15 years of customer service/sales experience. Friends and family live in the Boynton Beach/Pompano Beach area so we are focusing our search there.

Are there currently a lot of job opportunities for us in FL? We are looking to wait a year to feel things out just to make sure the move is right for us, but I want to get people's perspectives now when the economy is really tough.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:45 PM

282 posts, read 806,905 times
For most people, the economy will be tough. Unless you have saved up a very large amount of money to support your famly for 6 - 12 months I would suggest that you not move until at least one of you lands a solid job.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandap75 View Post
We currently live on LI and we are thinking of relocating to FL. My husband has his CDL class A with all necessary endorsements and I have my degree in English and 15 years of customer service/sales experience. Friends and family live in the Boynton Beach/Pompano Beach area so we are focusing our search there.

Are there currently a lot of job opportunities for us in FL? We are looking to wait a year to feel things out just to make sure the move is right for us, but I want to get people's perspectives now when the economy is really tough.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
If your husband drives a semi for a living, be warned that the trucking industry in Florida is in very rough shape.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:30 PM

I've seen on other posts that people find it hard to land jobs from out of state. I'm wondering if we should just take the next 2 years to save and see where the economy grows? Starting to wonder if NC is a better choice. We are just done with LI life.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandap75 View Post
I've seen on other posts that people find it hard to land jobs from out of state. I'm wondering if we should just take the next 2 years to save and see where the economy grows? Starting to wonder if NC is a better choice. We are just done with LI life.
North Carolina has an even higher unemployment rate!

If you are serious about moving here (or anywhere), you are making the right first steps.... start sending out resumes, making phone calls and contacts, etc. Take the next few months to do all this. Luckily, cost of living is the cheapest it's been in years and years, so if you do land a job, it will help.

It's good that you have friends and family in the area, because that will help make any new state move much smoother.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
North Carolina has an even higher unemployment rate!

If you are serious about moving here (or anywhere), you are making the right first steps.... start sending out resumes, making phone calls and contacts, etc. Take the next few months to do all this. Luckily, cost of living is the cheapest it's been in years and years, so if you do land a job, it will help.

It's good that you have friends and family in the area, because that will help make any new state move much smoother.
Thank you. We are very serious about moving. Will definitely take the next year to put out resumes etc. Hoping to move within the next year/year and a half. I recently got a job at Cablevision here on the island and would like to have at least a year here to pad out my resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach