Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 AM

315 posts, read 775,964 times

Advertisements

My brother recently passed away and his wife, (my sister in law) is looking for buy a home in Southern Florida this weekend. I'm really trying to help her out. We went down to West Palm Beach a few weeks ago and like Wellington and the surrounding areas. The decent homes seemed to be in the price range of $220,000. Acerage and the outlining areas has some downright "McMansons" around $200,000 with pools, 4 car garages and more, but it was pretty far out there.

My sister in law is looking to buy something for $150-$190. It can be a slight fixer, or bank owned, but no short sales as those seem to take months. What areas around West Palm Beach would you suggest? Saint Port Lucie seems to have many homes in this price range, but how is that area for jobs and such?

All in all, she just wants to reside in a very safe, bedroom type community, live in a decent 1200-2000 sq ft home, preferably with a pool.

She has suffered a terrible loss and any helpful tips you all might provide would be appreciated. I have to travel back to my home state after this Monday, so I need to assist her in finding something in the next few days.

Thank you,
William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,387,578 times
Port St. Lucie has the biggest bang for the buck, but the economic situation up there is worse than in Palm Beach County at the moment. If she doesn't mind a commute, though, there are VERY good buys.

For 190k in Palm Beach County, check out Royal Palm Beach, and the "Heights" neighborhood of Jupiter.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,445 times
The Heights would be a good buy, as stated above. A good site to look up city then neighborhoods is Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

It's technically called North Palm Beach Heights and is in Jupiter

sorry to hear about your brother and best of luck

Last edited by m5*; 08-05-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,396,616 times
Will, I sent you a few emails like you requested with some nice properties on there. Were you able to look through them? If you didn't get them check your spam sometimes they go there. My number is on there feel free to call me.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM

70 posts, read 222,079 times
Just a thought, but would she consider renting for a few months and then finding something to buy after she gets the feel of the different areas? She could probably get into a nice (maybe furnished) rental house fairly quickly. Very sorry to hear about your brother, best wishes to your family right now.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 PM

162 posts, read 679,098 times
I agree with Zayetz, a short-term rental seems like it would be the best option given the situation. I would recommend against rushing into buying a house until she knows the area better. There will be just as many great deals in three months as there are today...

Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM

315 posts, read 775,964 times
Thanks everyone for the tips. I used realtor.com and found most of the homes in Jupiter area to be well above $200K.

What is the closest you can get to the beach for under $200K and still be in a decent neighborhood? Royal Palm Beach?

All the sites are frustrating as they are 90% short sales, so it's difficult to really get an idea of what a person can buy in any price range. I think agents should specify "SHORT" sale in the title listings, as these are not real homes for sale. URGH! lol

Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,445 times
Royal Palm Beach is about as far from the beach as you can get. I know there are homes in your price range in North Palm Beach Heights in Jupiter because I've looked there with a realtor and have been following home prices since Feb 2008.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:25 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,361 times
Know this is a difficult time for your family but just want to warn you that it took my daughter and her husband 9 months of trying to find a decent home down there. Most are short sales or foreclosures and those are risky. We could tell you horror stories of some of those homes. Seriously, it took them 9 long months to finally find a home and one that was not in a bad area or trashed. don't count on the banks getting back to you within any reasonable time. They finally gave up and refused to look at any short sales or foreclosure. That limited them big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach