Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,620,623 times

Advertisements

We have our home in west Boynton for sale by owner. It's listed on owners.com and infotube.net. Realtors apparently go on those sites and lurk for potential contracts.

I must have shown my home to 7 realtors in the first week of posting on these sites. Their excuse was 'I'd like to see your home so that I can have it in my mind in case I have a buyer looking for this type of home/price range..' but once they got in here, then is when they did their 'pitch'.

Are these realtors coming thru here, trying to get our business, full of 'it'? Or is this really a bitter market for trying to sell ourselves?

Here are some things we've heard:

~"realtors don't like dealing with homeowners who are trying to sell on their own"
~"your exposure, even if you list on MLS yourself, is going to be very limited"
~"it won't be easy for you as you won't know who's coming into your house that is not even capable of qualifying, if you use a realtor, you won't have that problem"

As for our home, it's NOT a short sale, in a great family neighborhood, in pristine condition, updated and move in ready. With that said, we don't feel we'll have a problem selling on our own, but maybe we are misinformed?

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,969,241 times
You cant fault a realtor for trying to engage in their livelihood.
Im sure your house is very nice, but unfortunately for you, so are lots and lots of
other properties very close by. Ive bought and sold houses, FSBO and realtor.
The only FSBO house deals that worked were in areas that were very desirable with
no glut of vacant units in the area. Florida is not that market. There is a backlog of housing.
A good realtor is going to take time you dont have and engage a potential buyer. Only
you can determine if their fee is worth it to you depending on your situation. Our last FSBO
was a nitemare. It digressed to the buyer bypassing their own agent and calling us at home
and making demands. The ugliness went 'til 12 hours before closing. If you can deal with that
nonsense and devote hours a day to actively marketing your property....But, if you sure you wont
have a problem selling it one your own.................

ITs never fun....
Best wishes

Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,279,224 times
Where in West Boynton? I have a colleague who has been looking for homes in West Boynton (Canyons, etc.), but has been outbid once or twice.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,378,232 times
Are you off of Gateway? I drive by an open house there every weekend.
When I tell someone that I have a buyer for their property, I mean that I have a buyer. Many realtors do use that as an in to get in the door.
Is it very hard to sell your home on your own now, yes. With short sales and buyers that have sat down and done a market analysis FSBO's are usually overpriced for the market. It's a tough time to sell a home, but homes that priced right are selling very quickly (I sold five in August)
Like they mentioned you do get very limited marketing when you try and sell it on your own. Especially if you are in a gated community (still amazes me that people try and FSBO a home in a gated community)
Since over 80% of buyers work with realtors chances are you are going to pay a 3% commission anyway. Are you going to review the contract on your own or have an attorney take care of it? Are you going to set the title work up on your own?
To sum it up, yes it is a bad market to FSBO right now. For the 3% you save not having an agent help you, you usually end up losing more than that since your property sits for so long.
If you would like assistance I am in West Boynton off of Jog and BB Blvd and would be happy to stop by and go over everything.

Tri- I have a daily update on Canyon's if your colleague needs assistance feel free to give him my info.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM

P.S does it have a pool? I have a buyer looking in this area.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Are you off of Gateway? I drive by an open house there every weekend.

no, right behind you in AR.

When I tell someone that I have a buyer for their property, I mean that I have a buyer. Many realtors do use that as an in to get in the door.

I have a guy from Coldwell Banker coming tomorrow to 'see the home for someone in New York that saw your ad on owners.com'. So, is it likely a gimmick to get in here? I'm so tired of that. Or, does this commonly happen, ppl call you from other states and request you to look at certain homes for them?

Since over 80% of buyers work with realtors chances are you are going to pay a 3% commission anyway. Are you going to review the contract on your own or have an attorney take care of it? Are you going to set the title work up on your own?

Very willing to pay 3% to a buyers agent. Will even offer a bonus! We have an established RE attorney.

To sum it up, yes it is a bad market to FSBO right now. For the 3% you save not having an agent help you, you usually end up losing more than that since your property sits for so long.
If you would like assistance I am in West Boynton off of Jog and BB Blvd and would be happy to stop by and go over everything.

Perhaps you have some clients who are interested in our neighborhood and you could bring them by....
see my replies above in orange...and the house does NOT have a pool, but there is a huge community pool about 5 min walk. which is heated round the year.....

Old 09-01-2009, 02:48 PM

You never know he may have a buyer, but more than likely he will go into a presentation.
Really in your situation for saving 3% the marketing alone is worth it. Most agents don't search the by owners for anything other than listing oppts. Alden Ridge is kind of tucked in there and doesn't get a ton of traffic passing by.
I had a buyer interested in there but after I got them pre-approved they only had a 500 credit score (whoops)
It's a completely different market right now then it's ever been. It used to be the FSBO's would go right away because they were the best deal in town.

Like I mentioned I'd be happy to stop by (I could walk there) and do an analysis for you to give you an idea to see how well you are priced, give you staging ideas (if needed), show you what has sold in there recently, what's on the market etc. All the homes in that neighborhood right now are short sales so you do have a good advantage over them right now since a lot of first time home buyers are looking for something that can close before 12/1.
If you are interested DM me or my number is on my profile.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM

522 posts, read 1,603,255 times
Honey, do you watch the news? It's hard enough to sell a home WITH a realtor, without one - you need a miracle from God. Marketing is key and the MLS will get you exposure. If you're not in a hurry to sell your home, that's a different story - wait a year or 2. But if you want to sell in a reasonable amount of time, get a realtor.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
You never know he may have a buyer, but more than likely he will go into a presentation.
Really in your situation for saving 3% the marketing alone is worth it. Most agents don't search the by owners for anything other than listing oppts. Alden Ridge is kind of tucked in there and doesn't get a ton of traffic passing by.
I had a buyer interested in there but after I got them pre-approved they only had a 500 credit score (whoops)
It's a completely different market right now then it's ever been. It used to be the FSBO's would go right away because they were the best deal in town.

Like I mentioned I'd be happy to stop by (I could walk there) and do an analysis for you to give you an idea to see how well you are priced, give you staging ideas (if needed), show you what has sold in there recently, what's on the market etc. All the homes in that neighborhood right now are short sales so you do have a good advantage over them right now since a lot of first time home buyers are looking for something that can close before 12/1.
If you are interested DM me or my number is on my profile.
why would home buyers want to close by 12/1? Christmas? The $8000 credit? (btw, when is that a done deal...gone?)

regarding that Coldwell Banker guy...he did come today. Turns out he was legit, and was NOT here because he was interested in being our realtor.

He truly has never known about our neighborhood...as he works mainly in Boca and as you said, our neighborhood is tucked away in here, kind of hidden.

Story is, his wife's sister, who lives in NY, and her husband, are going to move down here soon. The husband is trying to land a job at a PD in broward county....and has interviewed at 2 different ones.

They (this NY couple) saw our FSBO listing on owners.com recently and asked this particular realtor to come here and physically check out our house for them and report back. He did seem impressed, liked the neighborhood.....and the home, and said their price range is 175-250k. So we are somewhere in there. He knew we were signing on tonight with a realtor...as I told him straight off the bat. And he said if we could, to add an exclusion for his SIL and her husband, just in case....so, I discussed it w/my RE attorney and he told me what to put.

You just never know. Our realtor was cool with it and we added an exclusion for 30 days for this NY couple. Just in case.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM

593 posts, read 1,906,870 times
It is harder to sell a house period. but I am not so sure that it always makes sense to list it.

Anyhow, I have sold my homes FSBO and offered agents 2% right on the flyer and it worked fine. But I sold my most recent home in 2005 when property was liquid, I've been a realtor, and I've been a marketing executive. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach