U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,214 times

Advertisements

We are a Maine family with an 11 and 13 year olds. We are packing up soon and heading south. Without making a pretrip down, where would be a good place to look. Looking for not too expensive housing, but in good neighborhoods with good schools and of course lots of job opportunity. Interested in the area from Palm Beach and south of the there on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 04:56 PM

593 posts, read 1,643,304 times
for mddle/high schools? palm beach, boca, coral srings, weston. . .

Old 09-20-2009, 07:22 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,854,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainefamily View Post
We are a Maine family with an 11 and 13 year olds. We are packing up soon and heading south. Without making a pretrip down, where would be a good place to look. Looking for not too expensive housing, but in good neighborhoods with good schools and of course lots of job opportunity. Interested in the area from Palm Beach and south of the there on the east coast.

I would suggest you have a job before moving here, not a good time to come here jobless as the market sucks and there are a lot of qualified people out of a job.

Expensive and South Florida are like Peanut Butter and Jelly...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I would suggest you have a job before moving here, not a good time to come here jobless as the market sucks and there are a lot of qualified people out of a job.

Expensive and South Florida are like Peanut Butter and Jelly...
I do appreciate your reply. I have to think that there is more opportunity there than in rural seasonal Maine in winter. Also the added bonus of not freezing to death when we cant afford heating oil.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocamom View Post
for mddle/high schools? palm beach, boca, coral srings, weston. . .
Thank you for your reply. We have heard good things about palm beach and Boca Raton recently. We are both Licensed Massage Therapists. I also work as a mate on a tour boat. I have a background in Distribution and Culinary Arts. My wife is licenced in Massage Therapy and also works in home health care. You have to wear many hats to eke out a living here in Maine, so we come to this with no illusions.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:42 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,854,221 times
Quote:
I do appreciate your reply. I have to think that there is more opportunity there than in rural seasonal Maine in winter. Also the added bonus of not freezing to death when we cant afford heating oil.
Depends on your line of work but keep in mind a lot of people come here and find it hard to make ends meet. I agree on the cold and cost of heating oil, just make sure you do your homework things are exactly great here on the job market.

If you can live on less, then go for it.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,687,866 times
Boca and Palm Beach the city/island are probably are not where you want to be if you are looking for affordability...
There are many areas in Palm Beach County, right now where you can get housing very reasonably. I would think a massage therapist wouldn't have too hard of a time finding employment here. Especially with the side jobs you are able to do.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:50 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,691,472 times
You can get into neighborhoods in Jupiter for middle class prices. Check out the Heights neighborhood in Jupiter, or some of the older, non-gated developments, like Hamptons, or other developments, such as the Shores at Jupiter.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 PM

910 posts, read 1,884,532 times
Quote:
I kind of agree with THX1138 but do understand that sometimes people have to choose between the rock and the hard place and take some chances, but you're really going to have to hustle to make it here.

I must point out that although you may not need heat (except for maybe one week in January) for most of the year you will need a/c, which gobbles up a lot of electricity too, especially with central air which also has the disadvantage of spreading things like mold spores which can be a real health hazard for some of us. Since I had no choice but to save money I've kept my thermostat over 80 which is not helpful at all where mold is concerned because not enough humidity is removed this way, so I've been affected by it and for a good while I've been wishing I could move somewhere like S. Carolina where winters are mild and summer doesn't last as long as it does here, it's 86 degrees right now and the high was 89 today!

I'm hoping you did a cost of living comparison already to have an idea of how you'd fare here, if not, try this website:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I came in similar circumstances in '97 when things were way better and I was soon pretty disappointed. My kids, which were 12 and 14 at the time, were visiting grandparents for summer vacation so I could throw myself into job hunting, however, any permanent job offers I found were bad so I did a lot of temping doing clerical work but that was hardly ever enough and my savings soon ran out. I had to start using my c/c to pay for food and once even a cash advance to complete the rent; I survived the first year so I "knew" I was going to stay here, but it was not easy at all. With sadness I think even now that I never got to do most of the "wonderful" stuff that made this area look so great to me because everything requires $$ here, so the public library, the pool and riding our bikes became our main source of entertaintment...

With that said, starting in October a lot of seasonal jobs will open to prepare for the "snow birds" that come here every year (but there's still a lot of competition for those jobs and there's lots of massage therapists here since there's a couple of schools in S. FL). Maybe if you apply at some hotel spa or begin to promote yourselves as soon as you get here by distributing business cards you'll either get a job or some clients to get you started, just be sure to try to offer something that's a lilttle different, "unique".

Although I have heard that the schools in Jupiter are better, I personally think Jupiter is pricey so I wouldn't exactly recommend it. You don't say whether you plan to buy or rent but either way I recommend that you start doing searches to check out what's available now. Don't do only apartment sites, do small realtors, Craiglist and the Palm Beach Post. For info about schools go to
http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 05:52 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 PM

1,683 posts, read 3,687,866 times
I guess we should consider ourselves lucky...
It took awhile to get going, but now myself and my girlfriend are making a better income then where we lived previously (we are working harder, but happy to do so). Cost of living is also less than where we lived as well (including our electric bills). I had an 1800 sqft condo for nearly twice what I just put an offer in on for a 1900 sqft townhome here.
Job markets are tough everywhere right now, we are on the tail end (hopefully) of a recession. Since you work a skilled trade and are willing to take backup jobs to make ends meet you should have no problem down here.
I just know that the cold gloomy weather can be very depressing and I think a lot of people that complain about their lives down here will realize it when they move elsewhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach