Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 AM

87 posts, read 454,765 times

Advertisements

I like the downtown area a lot because I like the city life but it seems that almost everything that opens up down there closes. What do you think is the problem down there and The Soma vegan cafe and life style center is opening when. What is the life style center? I never heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 AM

24 posts, read 99,089 times
I see what you mean, and I think that depends. It is, firstly, a miscalculation on the owner's part - the operating costs and overheads are too high and cannot cover rent whilst turning a profit. And rents are not cheap. Secondly, it is hard to keep customers happy around Clematis. In this climate especially, you need to have the right kind of service at the right price, and people will like you. Thirdly, do your homework - who are your customers, and what do you need to make your business work without splashing out. If you look at the establishments that have closed around the Clematis area over the past year - they were mostly dull, large restaurants that had probably been bleeding cash since opening.

Oh, and Clematis does pretty much NOT have a coffee shop beyond Starbucks and one other open at lunchtimes - the Starbucks is ALWAYS packed, and it desperately needs a place like yours. And if you add live music at night, then you pretty much have a must-go-to venue in the area, and only downtown WPB could support that.

With the arrival of the Soma Center, the new hookah lounge, the late night cuban takeaway and the two hookah bars that are already in the area, I think there is a renewed buzz around Clematis that can support a friendly, down to earth coffee shop.

Oh, and the Soma Center [www.thesomacenter.com ]- it's a vegan cafe coupled to a dance studio, with yoga and massage classes, and music events. There's one in Lake Worth already, and they just posted 'coming soon' on the door so not sure when it's opening.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_krey3pd3AV1qzkhtho1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1255616524&Signature =hYMSREYM8vpkiQWEIoc8kbFTOhU%3D (broken link)
[image from twitter/@aguyonclematis]

Last edited by themkook; 10-14-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the information on this. It does sound good. I guess I can look into this location. I used to work in the own town a few years ago and Clematis seem to hold its own during the day but I wonder what happens after everyone goes home from work. If there is enough support from the locals that live there. Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 AM

24 posts, read 99,089 times
True, one of the problems with Clematis is the lunch crowd - business is always brisk at lunchtime, but when the working day is over, everyone leaves and places close.

I think you need to think about turning the place into a 'night setting' to differentiate from the day time - just like you said - music, wine, dinner and you're onto a winner. I think you will find that many of the places that have successfully survived on Clematis (especially at night) have mixed in some element of fun and get togetherness rather than just being open for the sake of being open.

Anyway, just a suggestion and something to think about.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
How many places are open on Clematis that were open two years ago?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Off the top of my head, the restaurants that have come and gone on Clematis include a couple of pizza places (waaaay too many of those within a mile of Clematis), and Clematis Social, which I actually enjoyed.

Big Time Restaurants, which owns Rocco's Tacos, and Grease Burger, have had success. They're converting the old Clematis Social to a sea food restaurant/rum bar. I'm actually surprised pricy Forte is still around, but it is.

Cabanas Cuban is moving further up the block, and an Italian place is going in its current place, next to Pizza Girls. Fire Rock is still there, as is Maison Carlos, Pistache and Starbucks. Don Ramon is opening up too.... which may be too much Cuban food in one place, but we'll see.

Isn't the statistic something like 50% of restaurants in general will fail within a year of opening? I don't think I could ever run a restaurant with those odds!

Z Gallerie, a furniture store, went out of business, but apparently not because it was losing money (the company said something bizarre, like it wanted to focus more on its W. Florida stores).

Cityplace has lost Italian Oven (shocked!), Bar Louie (awful service, not shocked) and La Salsa (not very good) the past year. Meanwhile, Taverna Opa always seems packed, and Cheesecake Factory remains hopping.

For what it's worth, I've heard that rents on Clematis are actually higher than Cityplace.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:28 PM

I went to the Green market in downtown West Palm Beach. It was really nice. I did not see and one selling coffee except for cuban coffee and everytime I walk by there was a few people on line. Maybe that can me a good way to start a coffee business by having a coffee cart and going to different locations.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
I am thinking about opening a green coffee shop in jupiter. From organic coffees, teas and pasties to recycle paper products etc. I would like it to be cozy and hip for all ages to go. With Wi-FI hook up for your computer. The decorator with used furniture and recycle fixtures to make it a little unique. Also maybe on different day at night have someone come play music other nights something different and maybe serve wine at night. I am trying to think of different ideas that are not like a Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. A place where the community can come hang out and meet. Does anyone think there is a maket for this kind of business?
I would love to see a nice coffee shop in Jupiter, I would recommend the area around Indiantown Rd. and US1. Near the movie theather. My daughter worked at Starbucks at Downtown at the Gardens, (it is now closed), they always had a rush after the movies. There are condos and housing developments near there, also several hotels. A Riverwalk area is planned for across the street near the bridge.

Indiantown Rd. is also a main road to the beaches.

There is a Starbucks on Indiantown Rd., west of Indian Creek Parkway. Another on Military Trail, just north of the Middle School. And one on Donald Ross Rd. There is an Einstein Bagel at the corner of Indiantown Rd near the railroad tracks, but they close at 5:00 in the afternoon. Einstein is the closest and I would not think it would be any compitition, the others are at 10 - 20 min drive from that area.

Last edited by Reedsmit; 11-12-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 11-12-2009, 06:53 PM

26 posts, read 58,682 times
There used to be a coffee shop in the US1/Indiantown Rd. area that fit this exact description. Run by two financially secure kids; it died-literally. They tried to breathe life into it by turning it into a wine bar-but that was the last of it. Not sure why they had so much trouble it was gorgeous and exactly as you described your desired business. Good foot traffic from the shoppes, movies and used to be there pool hall.

I would think twice about joining in on the inter coastal deal. Especially if you are touting environment friendly. I mean isn't the whole basis of Jupiter's inlet redevelopment only going to end up destroying the natural life there??? I was so surprised when I saw they paved paradise for a parking lot and a country hit song, but that is Jupiter for ya.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0721 View Post
Thanks for your input and support. I have not gotten that far into creating the business plan yet. I want to do some more research on it and the location maybe Palm Beach Gardens area. I do wish we had a downtown area in Jupiter or Gardens. That would be great! Also what coffee house in Port Salerno I would go and check it out.
Palm Beach Gardens has seven Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach