Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM

13 posts, read 52,850 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I have been reading this forum for a while now and decided to register to ask my own questions. I am currently living in Miami. My family is seriously considering a move up to the Boca/Boynton area. I have heard such mixed reviews I would love your honest opinions about these places.

I am jewish and consider myself pretty down to earth. I am hesitant to move to Boca because of the "snobby" reputation it has (i.e nanny's everywhere, designer everything). I was wondering if any areas exist that have a down to earth lifestyle in Boca? I have 2 school age children and want a good life for them. I have heard that Canyon in Boynton Beach is the "new Boca" but seems almost too new for me. I like that Boca is already established. I'm so confused and want to make the right decision for the family.

Which neighborhoods are more down to earth than others in in Boca? What temples are "less snobby"? What is your opinion about Canyon? Any info would help. Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
My feelings on the areas that are more "down to earth" are the areas that are not gated. But when I mention some of those, I get "Ewww...you want to live there??" My personal preferences are for Southwind Lakes and Saddlebrook. These are out west. I also like the neighborhoods of Boca Chase. We go trick or treating in there (because our own neighborhood just doesn't do it) and I've been pleasantly surprised by the people I've met in there. It's also not a gated community.

I don't know much about Canyon, unfortunately.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:56 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
we live in West boca and jewish and love living here. although we dont belong to a temple here in boca my son is in the USY group for a temple in Green Acres as my best friend is the Youth Director. people are very nice, and very down to earth.as well as all our friends here are Normal and very down to earth yes they do exist here in Boca ....we have friends in Boca Chase, Boca Winds they really love living there....we are in boca falls, we love the location here.....Boca Isles is very nice and also very nice people as we know a few families in there as well....Mission Bay they are very down to earth people as well...my son has friends in all these communities, my daughters friends are in Loggers Run and boca Winds and Saturnia...good luck to you and your family

Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Canyon's is actually a fairly developed area, and homes are selling very reasonable now in there. Especially if you have time to wait for a shortsale. Only problem with the short sales is that you are seeing multiple offers coming in on the homes as soon as they come on the market.
You are also very close to the 441 strip which has a ton of shopping and a nice mall. Great access to the turnpike as well.
There are some real nice down to earth neighborhoods in Boca, but as you've heard there are some very wealthy areas and these areas do tend to have snobby people...
As far as home values you go you will pay a premium to live in Boca.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Boca

I am not Jewish but a mom of 2 - now young adults - they grew up here - I know just about every neighborhood in Boca. There are tons of non-gated areas. Estanica South and Paseos are not gated, very nice, large homes. Great school district.

Just like every city, you will find just about anything. If you are looking for the snobby type, you will find it. There are a lot of very nice people here; you may find those also.

I do volunteer my time in the community and I see lots of different people; please don't judge by what you see on the outside b/c sometimes, one on one can be quite different.

Be yourself and you will be fine.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I am not Jewish but a mom of 2 - now young adults - they grew up here - I know just about every neighborhood in Boca. There are tons of non-gated areas. Estanica South and Paseos are not gated, very nice, large homes. Great school district.

Just like every city, you will find just about anything. If you are looking for the snobby type, you will find it. There are a lot of very nice people here; you may find those also.

I do volunteer my time in the community and I see lots of different people; please don't judge by what you see on the outside b/c sometimes, one on one can be quite different.

Be yourself and you will be fine.
I completely agree with Bette

Old 10-20-2009, 04:48 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I have very mixed feelings on Boca. I think it is safe and kept up well with flowers etc and close to many things like malls/restaurants. I have met some nice people but also some very rude which I know is in every area but it seems to have happened more in Boca. I am in a gated place though but did not think that would make the difference. I will say I do feel the mix of snow birds and year round people with the mix of ages/backgrounds do clash. I don't fit the mold so to speak at all other then the Jewish part but if I had a family I think my focus would be where my children could be safe and have a good education and try to put the snob factor aside. People have issues and having money does not make one better. There are pros and cons of every area so it is finding what works for you. My thoughts like others stated is to look for a family area in Boca so that you feel more a part of a community. That is a major factor for me in not fitting in since I am 30 years younger then the average that sets me apart. Good luck in your choice.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Canyon= Chinese dry wall problems.
The homebuilder is being sued. We went to look there and it looks like a great community. But we did not want to deal with a builder that is about to be sued.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM

13 posts, read 52,850 times
Thank you all so much for your opinions. My main concern, of course, is my children. I can adapt anywhere. I want them to have an easy childhood filled with good friends and good people. I know every place has it's positives and negatives, however, I don't want to start them off behind the eight ball. I will definitely look for more "family friendly" communities. Are there any communities to stay away from? More retirees etc???

Old 10-22-2009, 03:39 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I live in the snow bird land as of now meaning it is retired people. I don't fit in. I think berryjuice gave good family areas as I heard that from others as well. How much are you looking to spend? Are you going to buy or rent? To me from what I have seen is the country club homes/condos are filled with snow birds and are less family oriented. I have been asked who I am visiting many times. I have seen no kids except for a week there was some that visited. I think east boca also has more young people areas. Have you thought of other places then Boca that has good schools? Mentioned here a lot is Palm Beach Gardens/Jupiter. I think Wellington is very family friendly too. Also those 3 seem more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach