Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:41 AM

5 posts, read 13,643 times

Advertisements

PS.... regarding Section 8, there's a significant number of people (NOT ALL) in my surrounding area who can better themselves, but they CHOOSE to make a low income in order NOT to be middle class working people. They rather choose sporting a pair of brand new nikes versus advancing in his/her career b/c taking an increase in pay means losing your Section 8 funding.

Sincerely,
An extremely hard working, middle-class, college graduate, exceptional MOM, who never took sh*t from the government or anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Kathy - you are right, some people abuse the system - this makes it very difficult for those who truly need help. Assistance of any sort should be seen as a stepping stone not a way of life. I myself have never needed any assistance but if it came down to my kids are hungry or food stamp - I would suck it up and get the food stamps.

Anyway, this is off the topic re raising your children somewhere else. I completely understand! I do want you to be aware that it will be a major change. I don't know if you have ever lived in any other place but NYC and the immediate surrounding areas are just completely different from any other part of the world. South Florida isn't a place that I would exactly say is really convenient - I know there are areas, but not many where the corner store is down the block and walkable. I love SE Florida so, this is not a minus for me, but should be something you think about. Many people feel there is something to be said to be able to walk out of the door at 3am and get something to eat. The only reason I mention this is because the first time I tried to move to florida about 7 years ago - I went to Florida and was completely miserable and I was only on vacation. I was in Orlando and expected everything to be like NYC - I got off the plane and so similar faces to those in NYC, Indian, Asian, Black, White, Hispanics - it was great...until I had to interact with them. They had all slowed down and I was still on rapid fire movement. I spent 2 hours on the Walmart line and was the only one bothered. This time I have a different mentality, I welcome the slow down. I have a very strong feeling that it won't be as big a slow down for me as Orlando was, but it will still be different. Again, this time I'm ready. So, my suggestion is along with all your other homework, prepare yourself mentally for the difference in atmospher.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,643 times
Thanks for your advice. I've never actually lived in Florida and hear that it is very slow compared to the NYC fast-paced lifestyle. I stayed in Daytona for a couple months and I did like the atmosphere but I think PBC would be less of a dramatic shift in my life. I dont mind waiting on lines in the stores, waiting an hour for food, moving a bit slower. I'm been running all my life... I despite running in Starbucks for a $5 coffee, meanwhile, people are complaining and howling that the service is too slow when they're actually waiting 3 minutes. I'll take everyone's advice and take my time and do intensive research before jumping the gun. Maybe in 6 months-1 year, I'll actually rent an apartment for a couple months and see where that takes me.

Thanks a million for all the feedback EVERYONE!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM

You are welcome - I do definitely think that PBC will be less traumatic. That is the reason I am thinking of the same area. Good luck, with what ever you choose!

Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Chelsa,MissKathy, I whole heartedly agree with what your saying. But I just don't think you should lump people into categories like that because there are hard working people out there that take section 8 to support their kids. I actually lived in a section 8 type apartment in San Antonio and it was the worst experience in apartment living I ever had. Section 8 does attract bad people I understand, but I don't know, perhaps it was the way you stated that led me to thinking that.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM

HUH??? I agreed when you said it wasn't for all bad people. The statement is to general to state. She was simply explaining her situation in the place that she lives. And yes, some people do take advantage of the system - like those who live on public assistance and drive an escalade - I know you have seen that. Allen, I'm not sure exactly what your point is as you contradict yourself sometimes. First you say Section 8 doesn't attract bad people but then you say you lived in Section 8 type housing and the experience was awful. Was it awful because of the people?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,318 times
Miss Kathy, it might help if you told us what your job/career/education are.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 PM

6 posts, read 16,231 times
Default stop being stupid

First off, new yorks crime rate is very low. you'l find florida having a much higher crime rate with NO jobs. If you want to be destitute and have your kid homeless than move to florida. The whole state has no jobs. If your worried about crime move to a better neighborhood in new york city. There is relatively no crime in most neighborhoods in the city. If your living in brownsville brooklyn, or the bronx then move out to a better place.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick3934
If you want to be destitute and have your kid homeless than move to florida.
Wow, guess the theater isn't hiring any new drama queen positions? Is that where the anger is coming from?

Quote:
The whole state has no jobs.
No jobs?! Wait... Wait.... um.... where do I go every day at 8:00 AM? Where do I stay until 6:00 PM or later every day? Who put this money in my account this morning?!

Quote:
If your worried about crime move to a better neighborhood in new york city. There is relatively no crime in most neighborhoods in the city. If your living in brownsville brooklyn, or the bronx then move out to a better place.
There are plenty of safe cities and neighborhoods in Palm Beach County. And, as said over and over again for those who lack basic research skills, crime today is much much lower than it was in the 80s and 90s, and on par or lower than the 2000s.

Some people wonder why the world hands them negativity, when they come off as miserable louts.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick3934 View Post
First off, new yorks crime rate is very low. you'l find florida having a much higher crime rate with NO jobs. If you want to be destitute and have your kid homeless than move to florida. The whole state has no jobs. If your worried about crime move to a better neighborhood in new york city. There is relatively no crime in most neighborhoods in the city. If your living in brownsville brooklyn, or the bronx then move out to a better place.
No disrespect, but was this answer really thought out? To say there is almost no crime here is just utterly obsurd. Kathy and I both currently reside in NY and no that is completely false. However, I do think it is great that media and government have managed to fool enough people that they can make you think it is less dangerous here. Don't get me wrong - will you get robbed randomly every day probably not, but there is still a lot of crime here. Now, if you are comparing numbers, you are correct when you say for the amount of people here there is barely any crime. Understand with that - there is major corruption and some statistics are slanted - these are facts not assumptions. #2 a lot of people simply do not report every crime that takes place. You have to take a deeper look into what type of crimes are being committed. I think people in Florida are much more likely to report crimes of vandelism than in NY - we think of it more as "that is just the way it is". Cops (not all, but some) do not like to do the paperwork required so, things get swept under the rug so to speak.

It is also very easy to tell someone they should move out of bad areas, but it is not so easily done. Rents are spiriling out of control and even the bad areas are expensive and forget about a decent (not luxury or fancy) area, forget it. They get you coming and going. It is very difficult to live here you feel like you are tredding water all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach