Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 AM

475 posts, read 1,498,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskathy107 View Post
I was born and raised in NY, but do not want to raise my child up in NY. I can't even walk to the store without someone whisteling at me or harassing me!!! Everything is overpriced. People can be rude. Everyone is working, working, working just to pay bills, bills, bills!

Help me!!! I'm interested in Palm Beach County (Boca, Jupiter, etc) but I don't want relocate to another community where I can't walk to the store without getting robbed! My child is turning 3 this year. Sooner or later, she'll be in school (::tear:.

I would love some recommendations on a great community to raise children, excellent school systems, great outdoor activities, low or decent taxes (compared to NY) and please... no ghost towns. I'm coming from NY, I need some traffic.

I am also thinking of purchasing some affordable real estate, and I am NOT talking about SECTION 8 communities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here in NY, a 1 bedroom condo can cost you about 200k, but in FL, you can purchase a 4 bedroom family home... what a deal....

Thanks!!!
MissKathy, this thread has gone in alot of different directions from your original question. Just as anywhere there are areas of high crime, there are areas that I would consider unsafe and would not recommend someone unfamiliar with the area to look at to move to. There are also alot of people out of work or struggling; but this is not limited to Florida, this is happening all over the country, there have been a lot of people who have lost their jobs.

But as I said a few days ago:

I have lived in the Jupiter / Tequesta area for 30 years and raised two children here. I do not live in a gated community or Home Owner Association, I do not have an alarm system and I know my neighbors.

The beaches are beautiful, if you enjoy fishing, boating, golfing, the area has it all. We have spring training at Roger Dean Stadium, a very nice mall in Palm Beach Gardens.

My children attended Limestone Creek Elementary, the parents were very involved in the school and it was a great experience. When it was time to go on to High School each of them went to a Magnet School which you had to apply and be accepted to. Each of the schools were in the top 100 schools in the Nation.

There are year round activities and sports for the children through the Jupiter Tequesta Athletic Association. There is also many fine churches.

Jupiter / Tequesta has a small town feel to it. But there is an exit for I-95 and the Turnpike, it is 2 1/2 hours north to Orlanda, 2 hours north to Kennedy Space Center, 2 hours south to Miami.

The Kravis Center for Performing Arts is an easy 30 min. drive. They always have a wonder calander of events including world class performances.

As any where there is crime of some sort, but the amount of crime and type of crime is very minimal here. If you go to do an internet search on Tequesta, FL you can read the daily Police Reports. The majority of which seem to be traffic stops.

Definately do not look at Lake Park, Rivieria Beach, Lake Worth and many areas of West Palm Beach.
Jupiter, Tequesta, Boca Raton, Wellington - these are all wonderful family communities.

And I would not hesitate living in any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 13,649 times
Thanks, Reedsmit, that was VERY helpful. I am loving the children/family activities that Jupiter has to offer. Churches are a must too! I'll have to research for Roman Catholic churches in that area... As for as no HOA fees, that is definitely a plus. The point of moving all the way to Florida is to avoid extremely high mortgage payments and/or maintenance fees. Jupiter will be on the top of my 'places to move' list. I will update you when I make the final decision, perhaps in 6 months - 1 year.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:40 AM

623 posts, read 1,303,100 times
Just adding my two CENTS. I live in NYC also. It was a great lifestyle PRE-kids, and nowww...

I don't want to raise kids in NYCity either.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
RV I'm right there with you - NYC is fantastic - quite possibly the best - if you have the right money and have no children - I think with kids it is just a little more stressful - I know for my kids everything is structured to the point of annoyance - kids just are not able to be kids IMO - I won't tell you that Florida is the best place to raise your kids but it 100% is not the worst place! I'm pretty sure that my boys are going to be happier once we get there - I will have a 7th grader hopefully starting the new school year there. Hopefully, I will not be coming back to NY but should I choose to do that I would like to do it before my oldest starts high school - I feel that is an important time in his life as far friendships go and I don't want my life decisions to disrupt the lives of my boys!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:47 AM

I also agree. I've been here for years. Kids are not able to be kids in Manhattan. Gl. Where are you planning to go exactly? When and will you be working? ra1007@yahoo.com if you want to chat. I need a furnished rental in the area for June or July. Any advice, great appreciated!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
I'm not sure where I'm going boca or a city closer to ft lauderdale - I'm hoping to go in august and yes I will need work. I will be going in may for a few days to meet with recruiters and such - thus way they are a little more open to working with me.

Are your kids still young? Do you still have to worry about schools? This is my main concern and the main reason I'm considering boca!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 AM

YES. My MAIN reason also. Write me. I'm going next mnth. Have you visited any schools? I 'm now looking for furnished condo or home near school.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Off season in Boca you should have no problem finding a furnished rental. In season those places can go for 2500 or a month and off season can drop to 1000. This would be through a private owner obviosuly. Some though may want more then a month but you could still probably find someone who is willing

Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 AM

yes, just overwhelmed doing all this from nyc. need a broker i guess or listings site. ?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvchat View Post
yes, just overwhelmed doing all this from nyc. need a broker i guess or listings site. ?
Rv I would definately get a realtor just so they can show you the areas your interested in...I use my friend/realtors site...BUT you can go onto bocaexecutives.com as Ive been using this site too, you can search by sub-division, zip code and its the latest on the MLS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach