U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 AM

11,282 posts, read 9,748,577 times

Advertisements

What's wrong with Lake Worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 AM

5,643 posts, read 4,271,217 times
Default Where are you getting those prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Allen - I will not dispute your take on cost of living as it is your opinion, and is validated by many on this forum. You mentioned in another post about going to NY or LA or Chicago - these places are all going to give you sticker shock. NYC and what you get for your money...you can rent an apartment in Boca for 2K and get better amenities than an apartment you pay 6500 for in NYC - does it matter that you get paid 40% more if you are paying 3 1/2 times more in rent? If you are looking for CITY life in it's true meaning - NYC is great, but if you want a combination of suburbia and city - NYC is not the easiest place to be. That is my only point to you. Think carefully about what you are looking for.
A penthouse in Manhattan? My younger paid $750 in Queens. My older daughter is renting an entire house for $1,400 on LI.

We are now renting our condo in Naples for $1,200 (2 bed/2 bath), NOT including utilities. In fact, they are just moving in today. Amenities? Just an outdoor pool; nothing else.

You want a combination of suburbia and city, go to LI, maybe even Staten Island.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM

7,175 posts, read 12,377,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
A penthouse in Manhattan? My younger paid $750 in Queens. My older daughter is renting an entire house for $1,400 on LI.

We are now renting our condo in Naples for $1,200 (2 bed/2 bath), NOT including utilities. In fact, they are just moving in today. Amenities? Just an outdoor pool; nothing else.

You want a combination of suburbia and city, go to LI, maybe even Staten Island.
staten island or LI are u kidding? im sorry but its still quiet expensive and for some people they dont Want that quality of life...and staten island isnt suburbia...and LI well the nice parts are way expensive...

Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 AM

2,768 posts, read 4,249,107 times
Tan you keep Talking about this 750 as if it is a real number - Rachel lived in a basement apt. I'm not sure who she knew or how long she lived there - basements aren't exactly top choice and please let's not debate that an apartment in a nice area of Florida is nicer than one in a nice area of ny - honestly - Florida doesn't have to be better because you admit facts - you don't like Florida that has been made abundantly clear - but you do not speak fairly of the place you live - you only point out the bad - if we are weighing good versus bad I think NY will come out the winner! I'm not here to debate that anyway - this subject with you is to say the least tiresome! The boroughs do not count as suburbia! And we can go on for days about LI there are some parts there that I wouldn't live if you paid me too but that isn't the point - my point is telling a falsity that NYC is inexpensive and then giving these examples is very misleading. I would like to see a picture of rachels apartment and compare it to a 1 bedroom in Florida - then we can all decide what is nicer! Realities are realities! I'm not comparing the Carrol city with Astoria - let's stop being crazy!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What's wrong with Lake Worth?
There is a thread that asks about lake worth being ghetto look into that and it may answer many questions for you!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:18 PM

623 posts, read 666,726 times
Thanks Berry! do you know lakeland drive in Boca?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM

I know Boca Chase there are quiet a few sections...Im not familar with that street but boca chase is nice...

Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM

5,202 posts, read 7,637,564 times
Hey I just want to add that Florida has no jobs. Well, almost no jobs. Even if you have a job when you get there, you may lose it quite easily, also it's not very easy to get a raise. Even in my field, I would have to do consulting jobs outside of the state to make enough to pay a 200k mortgage (or 150K or whatever after your downpayment) plus car insurance, homeowners insurance, taxes, food etc.

Pls think about it carefully.

Personally, unless you are a rich person from some foreign clime, I would not spend 200K on a house anywhere in Florida. Or, if they're asking 200K, then offer them 150 or lower. It seems that the neighborhoods down there can change drastically and--esp. in south Florida--it's like Latin America - many underclassed, poor under-employed people and many Ultra ultra rich people. Sounds like a sucky place to live if you have to work everyday and can't afford to send your kid to private school...

Think about it. I don't know about Yonkers, but NYC has amazing public schools for kids, and you will be setting your child up for a better future than in any Florida public school. If you can't afford a house in a nice part of NY, then how about getting a house-mate? I know a couple of people who did this. You get a large house in a nice area, and help paying your mortgage. If you get a tenant to sign a lease during the loan process, this may even be factored into your income in terms of getting a loan.

IMO get a VACATION home in Florida, but unless you have amazing means or amazing job security, I would not live in Florida full-time just yet. Imagine you spend 200K on a house, and then a bunch of investors move in section 8 all around you. This can happen anywhere, but IMO it's more likely to happen in a state with muchos transitorios como la Florida.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM

You should tell people from Canarsie Brooklyn how good their education is. Are there good schools in NYC of course - are ther good schools in Florida of course - are there jobs in NYC - yep - can you lose that job here - YEP - it is called a recession people- when people were getting higher salaries in Florida all was cool now- there is a recession and it is the worst place to be - I have to tell everyone - I have friends who have been laid off here for ove a year - things aren't great here either - they Arent great anywhere - this is a given - obviously - I would not tell anyone to move to any state without the security of having a job in advance. That and research the area you think wil best suit your wants and needs. Good luck and be positive but also be realistic!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:55 PM

Chels your so right...dh's old colleagues are still out of work from NYC now over a year. his colleagues from the Bank in Charlotte still out of work..very sad...There are Jobs here not many but they do exist, they exist in NYC however the pay wont be what one is used too and the cost of the living hasnt gotten cheaper...No different with Florida...It depends on what you do for a living and who you know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach