U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 PM

2,000 posts, read 2,308,780 times

Advertisements

Again, I have NO desire to pay ANY portion of anybody's rent but MINE.

Maybe I should go on Section 8, I misspelled "portion" the first time I posted this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 PM

I copied this from another website:

So I get this one applicant, single woman, Tawana, 3 kids. No last names needed.
I reviewed her income while looking across my desk at this human that looks about as bright as a tree stump.

She makes $9.15 cents an hour at Wal-Mart. She gets $650 per month from Social Security for her son. She gets $400 a month in food stamps. She gets $8000 per year in tax "refunds" from EIC since she makes exactly the amount needed for a maximum return. She gets a $975 a month from HUD for Housing.

So all in all this lady CLEARS
$47,300 a year. Of which $32300 is taxpayer money.

Guess what she was trying to do? Yep, Section 8 housing.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 21,683 times
I think I mentioned I work. My money is going to the government just like you and everyone else. I can see if I abused it, but for me I look at it as a boost. You can make $20/hour and still be on Section 8 depending on the size of your family. I'm sure their are people who do make that much and are not on section 8 who live in nice areas. The difference is one is on the system and the other is not. They're making the same, but you say the one on the system does not deserve to live in a nice neighborhood like the one who is not? I'm sure if Section 8 was offered to you, you would be on it. You are right, what is wrong with America. It would be a better place if we eliminate...excuse me! help people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
This is what's wrong with America.

If YOU can't afford to live in nice neighborhood, then no, YOU shouldn't be living there. What right do YOU think YOU have to live someplace YOU can't afford.

I have NO desire to pay ANY protion of YOUR rent.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Again,

If YOU can't afford to live in nice neighborhood, then no, YOU shouldn't be living there. What right do YOU think YOU have to live someplace YOU can't afford.

Here are two words liberals are completely unfamiliar with: personal responsibility.

Google them if you have to.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 40,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsupreme View Post
I think I mentioned I work. My money is going to the government just like you and everyone else.
Congratulations, you hold a job. Let me help you out with a little math lesson. If you are taking more money from the government than you are putting in, your money is NOT going TO the government just like me. You are taking from, not giving to. "I work" is not some magical key to the city that gets you everything you want. Oh, you want a new car, a 2 week cruise, and a big TV? Sure thing. That'll be $55,000. Oh, you work? Why didn't you say so?! In that case, you don't have to pay for it. Here, its all yours. You deserve it.

You are paid a salary that dictates the level of resources you are allowed to consume, otherwise known as capitalism. If you feel that system doesn't work for you, the United States will not stop you from leaving.

Quote:
I can see if I abused it, but for me I look at it as a boost.
Oh, a boost! Well, that makes it sound so much nicer then, doesn't it? But, to be fair, I think that really, everyone should get a boost. So, how about everyone gets a boost and then no one has to work as hard! What a great system! It'll be pina coladas all day long, we can all hang out on the beach. But wait, if everyone gets a boost, who is going to pay for it? I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Quote:
You can make $20/hour and still be on Section 8 depending on the size of your family. I'm sure their are people who do make that much and are not on section 8 who live in nice areas.
I'm sure there are people who make $20 an hour and are living in nice areas. They may give up things like new cars, new clothes, or expensive consumables in return for a safe and well appointed home. When you pay your own way, you're allowed to live anywhere you want. No one is stopping you.

Quote:
The difference is one is on the system and the other is not. They're making the same, but you say the one on the system does not deserve to live in a nice neighborhood like the one who is not?
That's exactly correct. Good, I was beginning to think you weren't getting it. The key word here is DESERVE. You don't deserve any luxury.

Section 8 is money that the collective community has taken aside and said "We recognize that poverty can generate itself, and would like to give it to someone living in poverty to break the cycle and have a CHANCE at making something FOR THEMSELVES. Here, take this money, provide a stable home for your children, get an education, and learn to support this lifestyle ON YOUR OWN. Teach your children that with education, they too can have a quality life and support themselves".

If you feel that it means you're entitled to a supplement such that your lifestyle matches those that invested in their own future and sacrificed temporary expendiatures for financial stability and STILL gave back to the community, then perhaps you should be giving YOUR paycheck to people that don't want to work at all, because they deserve what you have, right? Go ahead, I'm waiting. Go ahead and start handing out your paycheck to people that don't want to get up for work in the morning.

When you realize that you don't like being told that someone is going to take your money and give it to someone that refuses to work, but feels like they DESERVE to have the things that you do because you DO work, then you will understand why someone that sacrificed 4 years of living in poverty while attending college, saved their income to buy a house rather than living paycheck to paycheck, turned down "wants" in favor of "needs", maintained their credit rating by paying bills even if it meant going hungry, and made sure that their children's college fund was of the utmost importance over EVERYTHING feels personally insulted when someone else thinks that they DESERVE those fruits because they simply have a job.

Quote:
I'm sure if Section 8 was offered to you, you would be on it.
Your assumptions are wildly incorrect. Not everyone is looking for a handout. The people that live a quality lifestyle do so not because they feel they deserve to have it, but because they desire the accomplishment for themselves.

Quote:
You are right, what is wrong with America.
I think I have an idea....

Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 40,302 times
Quote:

Here are two words liberals are completely unfamiliar with: personal responsibility.
They're not unfamiliar with them, they're freaking terrified of them.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 AM

50 posts, read 87,090 times
I am a section 8 voucher holder and I plan to use mine to purchase my first home. I am gainfully employed and the apartment that I live in is NOT in a nice neighborhood. It's not in the ghetto either. There are things said here that I agree with and others that I don't. I think it should be a requirement for all participants of ANY government funded program to have a job working 40 hrs a week. I don't care if it's flipping burgers. I also believe that it should be a requirement that they have a 5 years plan that will place them in a position to be FULLY FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT and 50% of the TOTAL assistance the government paid on your behalf should be repaid like a loan..... I know.. keep dreaming. I graduate from college in June and plan to continue to my master's. There are entirelly too many myths associated with government funded programs. Not everybody is looking for handouts. But one truth can be said. If all the programs that the government funded to assisted 'lazy people', they will only put your money to something else that you don't agree with and the crime rate will exit the stratosphere.... ysr_racer and Robert-in-Fl, I feel your pain on so many levels. You should run for an office...

Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 PM

232 posts, read 650,666 times
Well unfortunately the party that represents conservatives has far from responsible the last 10 years or at least from 2000 to 2008. Look at the economy, surplus in 2000 and economy, deficient in 2008. Section 8 is pennies in relation to the real problems that affected this country. Yet people yawn at the welfare provided for banks and wall street for knowingly gouging this country.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert-in-FL View Post
You are paid a salary that dictates the level of resources you are allowed to consume, otherwise known as capitalism. If you feel that system doesn't work for you, the United States will not stop you from leaving...
Yep, what he said !!!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM

180 posts, read 350,420 times
Quote:

You may have no desire to pay a portion but, you are anyway. But, if a particular area is accepting the program then why not live there? I have a friend who is on Section 8 and guess where she lives....Weston, FL. One of the best cities in Broward County. Her voucher is $1400 but her rent is $1800 she pays the $400 plus her other expenses and guess what....she's white. I hate the fact that people are always saying that blacks are using the government white people are too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach