Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 22,790 times

Advertisements

We sold our upstate NY home and are banking about 25k from that sale. We have another 8k in the bank and our move is set for May 5th. If we must I can liquidate a 401k for another 15k and some stocks for another 2-3k. I know at 29/30yrs old were are better off then most at that age (except for those very wise gurus here) but I still don't like the unknowns. We are staying at my in-laws house while hubby finds a job and I look at houses...ray: ray: please for the love of any and all gods let that not be more than a few months!!! I usually spend about a month in Jupiter every summer with the kids so they are use to us staying a long time but 3 months might get a little . We won't be paying for rent or utilities on their wishes, but I demanded to at least buy the food so our expenses should be pretty low. What I am struggling with is I just can't get over the not finding a job before we get there thing. I thought for sure we would have but now the clocks is ticking but the phone isn't ringing . We get mixed messages from family from "oh he'll find something in less then a month" to "I know people who have been out of work for 6 months" albeit I think the out of workers are mostly construction workers and laborers (hubby is an Electrical Engineer, if anyone is looking let me know ). I really do hope the high tech industry is on the move in Florida like some have said cause were banking on it, literally. I am a good entrepreneur so I know I'll find someway to make a little money when not chasing down 2 kids, 3 cats and trying to keep their house in order and getting the food prepared. It's in my blood to make money at all costs a good and bad thing I know! What I need from my internet family is some encouraging words of wisdom!

If anyone is around I'll be at cheeseburger cheeseburger on Indiantown on Tues. May 11th enjoying .10 wings!!! Oh how I love wings! If they don't do that anymore don't tell me let me take it out on them when I get there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
FL has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

You should be more responsible since you have childern to think about, hope you like your inlaws and they plenty of room.

You do know you take a hit in penalties when you liquidate your 401K don't you?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 PM

623 posts, read 1,302,949 times
Just want to say, GOOD FOR YOU. Go for it, life is short. Not sure where you are now, but Good and best of luck to you.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunNFun View Post
We sold our upstate NY home and are banking about 25k from that sale. We have another 8k in the bank and our move is set for May 5th. If we must I can liquidate a 401k for another 15k and some stocks for another 2-3k. I know at 29/30yrs old were are better off then most at that age (except for those very wise gurus here) but I still don't like the unknowns. We are staying at my in-laws house while hubby finds a job and I look at houses...ray: ray: please for the love of any and all gods let that not be more than a few months!!! I usually spend about a month in Jupiter every summer with the kids so they are use to us staying a long time but 3 months might get a little . We won't be paying for rent or utilities on their wishes, but I demanded to at least buy the food so our expenses should be pretty low. What I am struggling with is I just can't get over the not finding a job before we get there thing. I thought for sure we would have but now the clocks is ticking but the phone isn't ringing . We get mixed messages from family from "oh he'll find something in less then a month" to "I know people who have been out of work for 6 months" albeit I think the out of workers are mostly construction workers and laborers (hubby is an Electrical Engineer, if anyone is looking let me know ). I really do hope the high tech industry is on the move in Florida like some have said cause were banking on it, literally. I am a good entrepreneur so I know I'll find someway to make a little money when not chasing down 2 kids, 3 cats and trying to keep their house in order and getting the food prepared. It's in my blood to make money at all costs a good and bad thing I know! What I need from my internet family is some encouraging words of wisdom!

If anyone is around I'll be at cheeseburger cheeseburger on Indiantown on Tues. May 11th enjoying .10 wings!!! Oh how I love wings! If they don't do that anymore don't tell me let me take it out on them when I get there!
Welcome to Florida.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,160 times
Congrats, the job offers should pick up a bit when you are actually a Florida resident. Are you renting or buying? You may have a tough time getting financed without a direct job transfer.
Good luck!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 AM

We are Florida natives born and raised in Jupiter/Tequesta. We have over 40 family members in the surrounding areas. For any of you who know the area I'm the Music-X-Change girl from the store and commercials. I figured it was better to be a little reckless now then 10 years from now when paying for college looms over us. Besides we never wanted to leave Florida but when my Husband graduated in 2003 the housing market was out of our reach financially and everyone wanted mid-level engineers or like NASA they wanted interns for no pay with the chance they would put you on the books in a year or so. Well we couldn't swing that on my pay alone. We found a good job in New York and now that we can afford a house back home, I think it's time to go. I know Florida will recover quickly and if we wait we will not be able to afford housing once again. I do not plan on using our 401k money or the 25k from our house, those are off limits in my book and I would assume have us both flip burgers before touching it! I know the first poster had good intentions bring up the kids but honestly we are thinking of our children. They are the only ones who don't get to see family but once a year. I grew up in Jupiter with my Sisters, Brother and dozen cousins it was a blast and I think they are missing out on that same experience now that we all have kids around the same ages. My cousin is an assistant manager at a big named bank in Jupiter. She said as long as he finds a job within 3 months we can get a loan with no problems right away. After 3 months without work he has to work for 6 months to be approved again. They take into consideration people relocating and the fact he left his job in New York and wasn't laid off. My in-laws house is big enough for all of us to have our own rooms and they want us there. They just put a retractable pool cover on and had a huge patio put down with a zen garden sand box for the kids. They love Grandma and Grandpas house and have friends a few doors away already. I'm excited and even though I know the job market isn't great we are aggressive people and will mail, call, email and show up face to face to land a job!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM

We are Florida natives born and raised in Jupiter/Tequesta. We have over 40 family members in the surrounding areas. For any of you who know the area I'm the Music-X-Change girl from the store and commercials. I figured it was better to be a little reckless now then 10 years from now when paying for college looms over us. Besides we never wanted to leave Florida but when my Husband graduated in 2003 the housing market was out of our reach financially and everyone wanted mid-level engineers or like NASA they wanted interns for no pay with the chance they would put you on the books in a year or so. Well we couldn't swing that on my pay alone. We found a good job in New York and now that we can afford a house back home, I think it's time to go. I know Florida will recover quickly and if we wait we will not be able to afford housing once again. I do not plan on using our 401k money or the 25k from our house, those are off limits in my book and I would assume have us both flip burgers before touching it! I know the first poster had good intentions bring up the kids but honestly we are thinking of our children. They are the only ones who don't get to see family but once a year. I grew up in Jupiter with my Sisters, Brother and dozen cousins it was a blast and I think they are missing out on that same experience now that we all have kids around the same ages. My cousin is an assistant manager at a big named bank in Jupiter. She said as long as he finds a job within 3 months we can get a loan with no problems right away. After 3 months without work he has to work for 6 months to be approved again. They take into consideration people relocating and the fact he left his job in New York and wasn't laid off. My in-laws house is big enough for all of us to have our own rooms and they want us there. They just put a retractable pool cover on and had a huge patio put down with a zen garden sand box for the kids. They love Grandma and Grandpas house and have friends a few doors away already. I'm excited and even though I know the job market isn't great we are aggressive people and will mail, call, email and show up face to face to land a job!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,655 times
As an old FPL retiree, it's a great company to work for. Check out their site, a number of jobs are listed for the Juno Office in engineering.
https://fpl.taleo.net/careersection/.../jobsearch.ftl

Good Luck!
Larry (near Harry's) - Hobe Sound

Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 AM

162 posts, read 679,583 times
Welcome back to the north County! I say take your time when looking to buy a house. Home prices are not going to take off again anytime soon, and you'll probably find some really good rental deals right now. There will be plenty of homes available once you two find jobs....

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunNFun View Post

Congrats on your move.

DO NOT touch the 401k for any reason unless it is an emergency.

33k is plenty enough money to move to Florida on.

I would suggest you rent first and wait for the perfect house for your family to come along.

Most people need at least 6 months living expenses saved back but you have far more then that.

Spend it wisely and hopefully your hubby will find a job so you do not have to spend your savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach