U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,862 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Boca and know it very well, but have yet to get to Santa Barbara. I have the unusual opportunity to move long term (I will be renting) in either place by the end of this summer, but only have enough money to make one trip. So I need to determine in advance which place is more in line with what I am looking for. Is there someone who knows both that could compare them? I love Boca's beaches, they are awesome. I have met many really good people in Boca through churches. And the town is beautiful. The winter weather is usually great Nov - April. The down side is it is very crowded, there are lots of people transplanted from up North that bring a tough/me-first city attitude to the town (though of course there are wonderful people from up North, too, as I am, so no slight is intended), the summers are wicked hot and humid, there are no open spaces, and no places to go for solitude except your condo bedroom. Coming from New England, I really missed the open spaces, having a natural place to be alone and meditate. I also don't like the fact the beaches and the town are totally inhospitable for owning a dog. They are not allowed anywhere, except in the street and at one "dog park" that is more like a ball field. I am conservative politically, but into natural foods and nature. I prefer towns over cities, laid back attitude over pushy and hurried and self-centered. I do not want to be isolated though, so want to be in a place where people are open to making friends. Boca has a nice feel of a town and a community. But it is not laid back. It is intensely crowded, pushy and busy. No place is perfect. Boca beats most places. But does Santa Barbara beat Boca? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 10:39 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,699,544 times
Santa Barbara beats Boca by miles. Go. You won't look back.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,556,218 times
Why Boca? Have you been to Jupiter/PBG? Sounds a little better fit for your lifestyle. Less crowded and a little more dog friendly. Juno has a dog friendly beach.
What's your budget as well? Are you trying to own a home eventually? I've helped people find homes here from Cali and they are amazed at what they can afford comparatively as far as housing goes.
I'd go a half hour/45 min North before you go all the way across country...

Old 05-18-2010, 04:37 AM

3,043 posts, read 6,297,554 times
Hi I have lived in Ventura Ca which is close to SB and now in Boca. I wish I lived in CA still. To me it wins by a long shot but is also way more expensive. Do you plan on living in SB or just near? Even if you plan on renting it is going to be more and you will get less for your money as well. There are nearby areas that are less expensive but then you need to factor in traffic which is insane. Would you be making the same income in both places? In the future do you plan on buying? Sky brings up a good question about other parts of FL. To me Boca is not many of the items you are looking for in terms of feel. Good luck in your choice.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 12,483 times
Angry No Way

Go to Boca. Though it is high brow, you will find more reasonable real estate and MORE friendly people than in SB.

Bailed out of there after 1 year. (My age 50). Unless you are newlywed or nearly dead (i.e. 70+) do not bother.

No shopping, unreasonably expensive housing, COLD beach water, terrible taxes and just TOO snooty - and I lived in Fort Lauderdale as well as SB. You have no idea.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:31 PM

152 posts, read 280,673 times
If you have already lived in Boca and have a chance to Move to SB, why not, take a chance. Weather wise well you know how hot and humid Florida is, SB really is beautiful weather and all round. The Florida beaches for swimming can not be beat,that is for sure, up and down the state. Florida is a beautiful state but does not have near the variety that CA can offer.Sun and Snow, mountains and beautiful beaches. Really CA is better, in most counts. The pluses for Boca are big though The main one is housing price,and no state taxes. the pushy and busy about Boca, well that is a bit of an exaggeration, and SB has huge traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach