U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM

98 posts, read 350,089 times

Advertisements

I lived in Austin for a good while. If you're looking for a place with, what I call, Austin's hippie sensibilities, then you'll find Lake Worth to fill that need. But I don't about schools.

If you lived in north Austin (for example - not saying anything negative) and weren't a regular on Congress Ave, hearing live music, visiting street fairs, etc - then WPB, Jupiter, all those places you'll like.

We have a 2 year old and moved from WPB to downtown Lake Worth b/c we found LW to more closely resemble the Austin we enjoyed (the hippie side) than the other options. So far, it's been the right decision for us.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I just moved from Texas to South Florida about 18 months ago. Lived in Dallas, Austin and Houston most of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,237,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I've lived in both cities.

Nicer? Depends on the area. More laid back? Depends on the area.

Stay away from WPB or south? Give me a break.

You have your opinions. I have mine.
This poster needs to see the areas themselves.
That's the bottom line.
No need to be nasty.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 AM

17,286 posts, read 25,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
You have your opinions. I have mine.
This poster needs to see the areas themselves.
That's the bottom line.
No need to be nasty.
Nothing nasty at all.

Exactly, and they're not going to even "see" the areas if you tell them to stay away, now are they?

There's a lot of misinformed advice on this board. One poster who was here recently was stressed because she was told to "Stay North of PGA Blvd." and had a hard time because she was looking at homes in PGA National, which is technically (GASP!) SOUTH of PGA Blvd.

The areas recommended for West Palm Beach are good neighborhoods, have homes that appear in architectural digest, and areas that are subject to write ups in the New York Times about New York socialites buying homes in the area to escape the stuffiness of Palm Beach Island.

All we ask is for some nuance.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM

431 posts, read 1,475,095 times
Tri, although you make a very good point, the sensibility that you are asking for regarding our OP's questions is probably not in the direction of Architectural Digest homes, or Lifestyles Of The Rich and Famous neighborhoods that you speak of in WPB or PB areas.
Lets call a spade a spade. For the middle to upper middle class, which probably is the majority demographic whom seek info on citi-data, regarding Palm Beach county, if proximity to beaches, public schools, and overall quality of life (crime, dining, shopping, culture) are their priorities, no location can compare to Jupiter. The stability of its RE market will clearly prove it.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Tri, although you make a very good point, the sensibility that you are asking for regarding our OP's questions is probably not in the direction of Architectural Digest homes, or Lifestyles Of The Rich and Famous neighborhoods that you speak of in WPB or PB areas.
Lets call a spade a spade. For the middle to upper middle class, which probably is the majority demographic whom seek info on citi-data, regarding Palm Beach county, if proximity to beaches, public schools, and overall quality of life (crime, dining, shopping, culture) are their priorities, no location can compare to Jupiter. The stability of its RE market will clearly prove it.
It's a lifestyle choice. It's why I presented what I considered to be the best part of West Palm and Jupiter (the OP asked for info on both). The type of lifestyle in both places will be very different. I have lived in both. I enjoy(ed) living in both places.

The southend of West Palm is a middle class area. Many people do not know about it. Before I found out about it I too was dismissive of West Palm Beach. However, it's diverse, walkable, close to where many people in PBC work, and part of the ACTUAL city of West Palm, not the unincorporated mess out west of I-95.

It's proximity to downtown, the ocean, intracoastal and Palm Beach are all positives. It's not suburbia like Jupiter. It is safe, however, and has a lot of character. It is more reminiscent of neighborhood design up north, and has a more bohemian vibe than Jupiter which is newer and more polished. The neighborhoods are real and uncontrived, with no HOA. For many people, that's important. For many people from Austin, that may be appealing. It's also less materialistic than Jupiter. I love Jupiter and tell people who seem to want a nice suburban lifestyle to go there over all other places in PBC. However, I have friends who live in Jupiter who describe young girls being teased at school for merely having a Coach purse, and not a Louis Vuitton.

Again, however, I dsiagree with blanket statements that tell people to stay away from anything South of PGA Blvd. Not only is Southend West Palm South of PGA, but also Wellington and Boca, which are major family areas!

The only downfall of Southend West Palm is that the high school is Forest Hill High (C rated as compared to As and Bs in Jupiter and Gardens), and the fact that it is by and large more expensive than Jupiter per square foot by quite a bit. Jupiter is awash in 4 bedroom homes under 400k, for example, but good luck finding that in West Palm in the areas I described.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 PM

The C rated HS is completely a deal breaker in my opinion, and probably most others when considering a location for their young family.

Also, I did a realtor.com search for 4 BD homes under $400G in 33458. (27) homes is far from "awash". Good luck finding a quality 4BD in a good location in Jupiter for $400G

Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
The C rated HS is completely a deal breaker in my opinion, and probably most others when considering a location for their young family.

The OP mentioned elementary schools. It's sometimes not a good idea to plan so far ahead in terms of high schools. The highschool I graduated from in 2000 in St. Lucie County was A rated at the time. Now it's C. Is it a worse high school now? Do kids not learn? Has the demographics changed? Who knows!

If I were inclined to live in Port St. Lucie, I wouldn't have any qualms about my kids going to that same school, as long as they were honors or better level. ("Regular" classes at any school will be deficient compared to honors level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120
Also, I did a realtor.com search for 4 BD homes under $400G in 33458. (27) homes is far from "awash". Good luck finding a quality 4BD in a good location in Jupiter for $400G
I have access to the MLS. I did an MLS search for Jupiter in total: 72 home, 38 in 33458. (about 5 Jupiter address homes stood out as "strike off list" because of location).....

For the area I recommended for WPB: 6.

I work with a young couple that would love to be near downtown WPB in the historic districts and SoSo, but you can get so much more for comparable money up in Jupiter in Gardens, so that is where they will most likely end up (everybody loves big closets!)

Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Call me crazy, but Im thinking your diamond in the rough location in PB is probably a bit smaller than 33458?

I'll bet Egret Landing alone is probably larger than your recommended area?

Am I wrong?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:49 AM

7,886 posts, read 17,370,254 times
WE have friends looking up in Jupiter and there is quiet alot of nice homes under 400k in the schools they need...4 bedrooms 2.5/3 bathrooms...

Old 05-27-2010, 06:55 AM

Yeah, you're wrong. The area encompasses all of West Palm Beach South of Belvedere Road, East of 95 to the Lake Worth Border. East of Parker between Okeechobee and Belvedere, and East of Dixie between Belvedere and the LW border. It spans two zip codes, 33401 and 33405. Subtracting out the parts that I wouldn't recommend, it's a pretty large area.

If you're ever in town, take a drive down Olive Avenue, beginning at Okeechobee Blvd. until you hit Lake Worth. You can even do it on Street View if you'd like, and go down the side streets.

But hey, I'm not here to convince you that there actually are good places to live "in town."... Because it's obvious that it's futile. Like discussing the value of living in a first ring suburb or neighborhood in Atlanta vs. one of the suburbs. It's a different lifestyle.

Besides, if you've never even BEEN, and if you've never had experience living in both locations (like I have), it's basically pointless to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach