Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM

12 posts, read 24,317 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am going to school down in Waverly WV before the end of the year. I am moving from a litttle farm in upstate Binghamton NY. Can anyone give me some info on what it's like down in WV, particularly the Parkersburg area? What's the weather like? Are people welcoming to new-comers? Is it hard to find homes or apartments to rent? I need a pet-friendly rental and through my browsing I don't even see alot of ads on the computer for any rentals at all, any suggestions on where to look? Is there alot of construction for my boyfriend to find work (he's a union carpenter up here)? Do you have a market for massage therapy down there? I am getting my national certification so I can become eligible to get a WV license. I work for myself up here in NY and just rent space to do my work, and it would be cool to set up something similar if there's any market at all. Also, what's it like changing the whole vehicle registration and license? What about vehicle inspection? Do you have to have your cars hooked up to a computer and fix every minor detail in the system before it can pass? If not you may have just made my day!!!
Anyway, this is my first big move-- I have always stayed close to home and I have never moved out of state. Any words of wisdom or advice for me? I am very excited to move down! Thanks for your time! I'm sorry this is so long, I just have so many questions!
p.s. I have a silly question-- do residents in WV have a heavy accent? I am kind of fond of a southern accent (maybe even jealous that I don't have one myself), but I did not know if it was a heavy accent in WV, or if it depended on the area. Of course, I will probably be the one with the accent when I am down there
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Waverly? Where are you going to school?

As to your questions.....how long are you planning on staying? If not long, I wouldn't mess with changing registration on cars. At some point you may get questioned but just tell them you have been busy and they will simply tell you to get it done.

You do have to have your car inspected in WV but it's not hooked up to anything. They just check your lights, brakes and what not.

You don't get into a real southern accent until you get down around Charleston. It's only 90 miles away so I don't know why it's so different. Of course you'll notice a difference from N.Y.

Truthfully, I don't think you'll find the area all that different from upstate N.Y. NYC, yeah. The summers will likely be more humid than what you are used to but the winters will be milder.

The market for massage therapy is limited by the size of the population. I see quite a few people have set up over the last few years. I can't say how successful you'll be there. You shouldn't have too hard of a time finding something to rent. What sort of pets are you talking about?

Construction work can be found....... Maybe not what he's used to but he should be able to find some work. Heck, put an ad in the bulletin board and go at it himself. We added an addition 5-6 years ago and it was like pulling teeth to find someone to do it.

People are what you want out of them. Be friendly and they are very friendly. If you want left alone, they will leave you alone. I think you'll likely find on average the cost of living is lower here than upstate N.Y.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,891 times
pknopp has it covered fairly well, so just to reiterate....

Construction is a bit slow right now, but not at a standstill.

No emissions testing on vehicle inspections, just needs to meet safety requirements. Except that vehicles must have the catalytic converter in place, if it was originally equipped (doesn't matter if your 'check engine' light is on). Technically, you have 30 days to switch registration if your stay exceeds a certain amount of time. And you have 30 days to get an inspection from the date your car is registered from out of state. You'll pay taxes on the value of the vehicle at the time you get it registered and a smaller tax each year. If buying a new vehicle, it would be best to buy it here so you don't pay full taxes in both states. Insurance and proof of insurance is mandatory.

Seems that most massage businesses stay in business once they open, you might find work at one of those, or one of the physical therapy centers or chiropractors, commercial rental space seems to be abundant.

Get a copy of the Mid-Ohio Valley Bulletin Board, it's the best resource for finding homes and commercial sites, for sale or rent, as well as almost anything else imaginable. It's available in nearly every gas station/conv. store and covers about an eight county area in WV and Ohio. $1.25, a new edition every Thursday. Pet friendly rentals do exist.

NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel That's the local newspaper, but I think many of want-ad placements have the option of not being placed on the website, not sure though.

Your accent will be noticed, but we'll have you sounding like us if you stay long enough. We'll sound like deep southerners to you, but 70 miles south they really have the drawl.

Good luck!

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 06-11-2010 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: Editing

Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Right, to find a rental you need to get the Bulletin Board mentioned by Two-Rivers. Craigslist isn't a very good source around here yet. The local newspaper doesn't have all thatmany listings either.

If it's for rent it's in the Bulletin Board.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Thank you so much you guys! This is all a huge help. To answer a couple of those questions, pknopp, I am going to school at Meredith Manor Equestrian College. I am going for the 3-year program so that I can find a job or start my own little business on the side with massage.
The reason I thought I should switch my registration over is because NYS is suck a pain in the rear (to say it politely, in my opinion). Up here, with the emissions testing on the vehicles, sometimes your gas cap is loose or something harmless (but VERY expensive) went wrong with the computer in your car and the check engine light will fail your inspection. Being that I am going to be living down in WV for at least 3 years, I thought it would be easier to switch registration than to drive up and fight with the computers in NYS just to get my truck inspected every year.
I have 3 cats, a dog and a horse (don't worry I know the horse needs her own place to stay). I am nervous because most places up here wouldn't take 4 pets, even with all the best care and good references in the world. I am hopeful that maybe it will be different down there. I take very good care of my animals, and they are like family to me so leaving them behind is out of the question.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM

I figured it must be Meridith Manor after posting. I understand it's one of the top in the nation. My brother in law lives about 2 minutes from there. (sorry, he doesn't have anything to rent) LOL

Yeah, if you are going to be here 3 years, it's likely best to swith over. I see out of state plates at M.M. all the time though.

As I said, no emissions check in WV. PM me an address and I'll mail you a Bulletin Board so you can get some idea on rentals if you want.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:20 PM

How do I send you a PM?

Old 06-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Click on my user name and pick the drop down option (send a direct message) to send a message.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:46 AM

12 posts, read 28,304 times
I am thinking of moving to WV by next summer and would like some information...please... I need to know what the schools are like in Parkerburg and I would like to know if there are many things for family activities in that area? also I heard that WV was very high in taxes or at least they used to be..what are the taxes like there? thank you very much for any information you cangive me. Oh yeah I want to like in the country, where would I start looking for rural areas near Parkersburg...again thanks a bunch.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:54 PM

I'm not sure where the whole "high tax" thing got started. There isn't a ton of things anywhere in WV to do. That's all relevant as to what you want to do though. If you like camping then it's great. There aren't much in the way of Museums. If it's sports, there are no pro sports. There is the Ohio River. In less than three hours you are in Pittsburgh or Cleveland though.

I have had 4 kids go through the school system and 1 still in it. I have no complaints. You can always find small complaints anywhere but overall I have to say the school systems do an overall good job.

Anything outside of Parkersburg is pretty much "rural". You have Williamstown-Vienna-Parkersburg. Outside of that, it's rural for the most part. No matter where you are at, within 15 minutes driving, you are in rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia