U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM

43 posts, read 77,912 times

Advertisements

I'ts down to two weeks before my big move. I have been doing the cost of living comparison for some time now and the stats don't make sense to me. For instance Noblesville,IN. to Morgantown,WV. will be 7% cheaper, 49% cheaper on housing. Clarksburg,WV. 12% cheaper, 68% on, housing. Clarksburg,WV. is 21% cheaper than Morgantown and 183% cheaper on housing. Ah, come on! I have been avoiding New England . Maybe I should not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:46 PM

424 posts, read 1,112,680 times
Where are you moving to in two weeks? If it is still "up in the air" I suggest you hold off and do a little more research. Comparing overall cost of living I find Best Places a better web site.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed That is for Nobelsville to Morgantown. This breaks down by national average. Looks like Morgantown is More expensive to live according to Best Places (which I used to reference before relocating from Wilmington, NC to Knoxville, TN.

Now Clarksburg, on the other hand is quite cheaper then Nobelsville.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Not sure what New England has to do with it, but I would suggest you avoid it if you are looking at low cost of living. Morgantown is more expensive because it's a college town and they can afford to charge people a premium to live there.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 05:27 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Gee Matt, To show you how fickle I am, Morgantown out, Knoxville in! lol Actually I stated looking in the Nashville area first, along with Murfreesboro. Then thought of Knoxville and Chattanooga, being so close to Waynesville and Asheville. City-Data has alot of good things to say of Knoxville, and E. TN. so it wasn't totally rulled out. The Italian population in Pittsburgh , Clarksburg and Morgantown drew me to that area, because of my Italian roots. Knoxville and Noblesville cost of living is really close. Back to the boards. What would you suggest. I am retired and have a dog. How are the rentals?

Old 07-04-2010, 05:49 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,229,602 times
Despite your age, it is clear that you have no idea where you want to live - you are like a pinball - bouncing all over the place. You need to settle down, collect yourself and be certain on what you want to do/where you want to live, then make a decision and stick with it. Maybe you should just stay where you are until you are on a little more solid ground.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Your right on. I don't know where I want to go, I just want to go! I want to experience a new life, a new beginning. I was brought here at a very young age. It would not have been of my choosing. This state is boring. I want to see different scenery. Who comes to Indiana for a vacation. I want to live in a town that has interesting history.I'm bored reading the same paper going to the same stores. I want to see snow on the mountain even if it is at a distance.I want to live where people want to go but there job holds them back until retirement. Help me

Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,381,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indylindy View Post
Gee Matt, To show you how fickle I am, Morgantown out, Knoxville in! lol Actually I stated looking in the Nashville area first, along with Murfreesboro. Then thought of Knoxville and Chattanooga, being so close to Waynesville and Asheville. City-Data has alot of good things to say of Knoxville, and E. TN. so it wasn't totally rulled out. The Italian population in Pittsburgh , Clarksburg and Morgantown drew me to that area, because of my Italian roots. Knoxville and Noblesville cost of living is really close. Back to the boards. What would you suggest. I am retired and have a dog. How are the rentals?

Your retired? Knoxville would be a great choice.
Spend many a day there on business and if not for my company requirements I would be living there instead of here in Atlanta.

Being retired in Knoxville you will also have the freedom of taxation. Knox has very low property taxation and NO income tax. Folks will pee and moan about sales tax in TN, but they may find it overall equal to many places like Chicago and most of Virginia.

As far as WV, I am a multi-generational native. I left 20 years ago and my long retired folks are looking to move now. The main reason is taxation. WV taxes my parents income, social security (double taxation anyone), retirement, etc., WV has very cheap home property tax but that is about as far as it goes. Had to fly into Charleston the other week and about fell down when I filled my rental car in Huntington at 45 cents a gallon more than I pay in the metro Atlanta area. Gas Tax!

You cannot go wrong with Knoxville. What a great city!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 6,476 times
I came to Clarksburg for the cost of living, I'll admit, although I originally wanted to go to Jefferson County -- my childhood was spent in the eastern panhandle. But here, housing, food, even furniture is jaw-droppingly cheap compared to what I left, and it's still a nice town to live in.

Italian-American? Next weekend is our 5K run for the Italian Heritage Festival - would be a great time to visit! 32nd Annual West Virginia Italian Heritage Festival , and click on the 'events' tab for more information about the 5K, or anything else going on.

Bring the dog!
:-D

Old 07-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Georgia, Yes I'm retired. Funny you should mention Knoxville. I have been researching Cookeville for a week. I then moved down to West Knoxville. I like the idea of being by the mountains. Clarksburg and Morgantown, WV is calling me too.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Heysuze......You remember me from a different thread ? lol My lease is up Wednesday. I'm backed and good to go. Been doing alot of traveling here on City-Data. Thanks for the link. Been there a couple of times. Overlooked race though. Heading your way.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 AM

424 posts, read 1,112,680 times
indylindy, I would also look to the beaches of North Carolina, I just moved from Carolina Beach, North Carolina and will absolutely have a condo-house there one day. It is the site of Fort Fisher, one of the larger battles of the civil war. Great history, and a nice town not far away with quite a bit going on in Wilmington. The cost of living isn't horrible there, I rented a two bedroom apartment with retirees renting behind me for $750 a month that was three blocks from the ocean. Cost of living stats related to Carolina Beach show it above 100% in COL but really that's because beach property and insurance on that property is very pricey. LOVE LOVE LOVE that beach though. Super vacant and private pretty much from Labor day until Memorial day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or