Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,285 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm English and have lived in England since I was born. I've always had an ambition to live in America someday. I don't know where it came from, but it's always been at the back of my mind.

I have a friend from Ohio who's working in the UK at the moment. He recently inherited 370 acres of land in WV near the Ohio border. This could be a real oportunity for me to fulfil my dream! But I am a realist. I consder things carefully. I'd like a little feedback from you good people if you're willing to give it.

PROS;
What are the best things about living in WV? What makes it special?

CONS;
What are the potential set backs in your opinion?

I know this is a subjective exercise, but that's okay. I'm still very interested in what you have to say. Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to build a house big enough to accomodate a family of six?

Cheers.

Amos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 AM

6,010 posts, read 9,007,943 times
Hi, I'm Chris

Do you know where exactly on the WV/Ohio border the land is?

Pros---

1.The Great Outdoors is everywhere in WV, and the natural Beauty is second to none.

2.Friendly people

3.WV is not "over populated"

Cons---

1.Good Jobs can be hard to find.

2.Some parts of WV are very poor, and are not welcoming to new business.

I hope you do consider our beautiful state. We here in the mountains might not be the tipical image of the average Americans, but we are very social, outgoing, and hardworking.

Welcome, and Cheers---LOL

Old 07-12-2010, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,285 times
I don't know exactly where yet, my friend is over in Virginia at the moment, we're going to talk about it when he's back in three weeks. For me your pro's far outweigh your con's! Thanks for the response. I'm just looking for a better quality of life than my own country can provide. I suppose 'quality' is where you place it. For me it's space, tranquility etc, so WV might be a good choice for me.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,445 times
Apamallard, good luck with that decision! I just left Ireland to live in Clarksburg WV and I love it. There's lots of sunshine, friendly people and such a low cost of living compared to what we're used to -- I'm so glad to be here.

When I was deciding, I wondered what would be worse -- on one hand I might try it only to fail and return to Ireland again. On the other hand, would I spend the rest of my life wondering if I *should* have tried? So here I am. I'm only wishing I'd left sooner.

I'd love to talk it over if you want to, anytime. If you do come over, be sure to stop by. (bring Wagon Wheels?!! LOL)

Old 07-13-2010, 06:04 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,315,704 times
Having lived in Both countries (but sadly not WV) I would say DO IT if you get the chance.

There are obvious cultural differences, such as being used to a nanny state that has few holes in the safety net. If you get poor and/or sick in the US you can really suffer. You will either love or hate not being close to major towns and cities, and the lack of public transport. The openness and friendliness of Americans will take some getting used to. If you don't have a particular skill the job market and wages will be tougher. Prepare for very warm sultry weather in summer.

You only live once. so get on with it.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 AM

80 posts, read 221,706 times
I strongly encourage you to take an extended vacation and check it out first. WV is loaded with outdoor activities and you can do most of them on a limited budget, if that is your thing. The people are friendly for the most part but as some one said earlier in some areas they aren't welcoming to new businesses. The crime rate is below national average.

What do you do for a living? WV isn't exactly famous for it's high paying and plentiful jobs.

Depending on where you choose to live, getting to good medical care can be a challenge and will require a bit of a drive (I might add that health care is not universal in the US -there are clinics that base costs on your income but you'll have to do a little research to find them). Also depending on where you settle the winters can be somewhat harsh and is a pain to have to get out in it everyday and go to work.

It's definately a place for someone looking for a slower pace. Come and stay a couple weeks before you decide. Let us know how it goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: