U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM

258 posts, read 305,813 times
Default Charleston vs Morgantown

I am debating numerous areas across the south to "escape" to in a few years ( I am only 17)

I am debating moving to the northern part of the state around the Morgantown, Clarksburg or possibly Elkins area or the Charleston area.

I am looking for:

Southern or mountain culture and slower pace, I would eventually want to purchase a home in the "country" and not right in the city.

A "non-booming area", I know I need a good economy to move to for a job possibilities, but I just don't want an area with too many transplants coming which is why I turned down NC, GA, TN locations. The reason I mention the this is because I google mapped the Morgantown area and it seems to have alot of new subdivisions going up and big box stores.

A conservative or moderate area. The liberal politics in CT are killin me. I'm sure some are fine, and it could just be my state, but its really extreme up here.

So what area do you think would suit me better? Northern area, or Charleston area? Any help appreciated. I will ask more as the thread grows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-16-2010, 08:59 PM

3,254 posts, read 2,541,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
I am debating numerous areas across the south to "escape" to in a few years ( I am only 17)

I am debating moving to the northern part of the state around the Morgantown, Clarksburg or possibly Elkins area or the Charleston area.

I am looking for:

Southern or mountain culture and slower pace, I would eventually want to purchase a home in the "country" and not right in the city.

A "non-booming area", I know I need a good economy to move to for a job possibilities, but I just don't want an area with too many transplants coming which is why I turned down NC, GA, TN locations. The reason I mention the this is because I google mapped the Morgantown area and it seems to have alot of new subdivisions going up and big box stores.

A conservative or moderate area. The liberal politics in CT are killin me. I'm sure some are fine, and it could just be my state, but its really extreme up here.

So what area do you think would suit me better? Northern area, or Charleston area? Any help appreciated. I will ask more as the thread grows.
It really depends on what you "really like"

both areas are great,

You have Morgantown that is one of the most business friendly cities in the state, but full of college tradition and fun things to do

Charleston has an urban, city fill, but has a small town charm. And you can easily escape to the country side because there isn't miles upon miles of development like is other towns Charlestons' size.

both towns have recreation right outside there doors

once again, it's based totally on what kind of person you are.

Charleston is more conservative, but Morgantown is more liberal in my opinion

Unread 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM

2,701 posts, read 3,062,540 times
Here's another thread with some info on this topic that you might find helpful (if you haven't already come across it): Charleston vs Morgantown

Unread 08-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Here's another thread with some info on this topic that you might find helpful (if you haven't already come across it): Charleston vs Morgantown
Yep, I checked that thread out right after I posted this thread and went to the Charleston stats....

Thanks though.

Unread 08-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
It really depends on what you "really like"

both areas are great,

You have Morgantown that is one of the most business friendly cities in the state, but full of college tradition and fun things to do

Charleston has an urban, city fill, but has a small town charm. And you can easily escape to the country side because there isn't miles upon miles of development like is other towns Charlestons' size.

both towns have recreation right outside there doors

once again, it's based totally on what kind of person you are.

Charleston is more conservative, but Morgantown is more liberal in my opinion
Yeah thats what I figured from just looking at a map lol. Charleston I think sounds much better. It looks like on the south side of Charlotte across the river up in the "hills" theres alot of housing, not dense but suburban/country. Is that the nice area to purchase a home close to the city?

Thanks for the info.

Unread 08-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Yeah thats what I figured from just looking at a map lol. Charleston I think sounds much better. It looks like on the south side of Charlotte across the river up in the "hills" theres alot of housing, not dense but suburban/country. Is that the nice area to purchase a home close to the city?

Thanks for the info.
yeah the south side of the river, across from downtown, is know as South Hills. It is one of Charlestons' most wealthy neighborhoods. There is a small shopping village there called the Bridge Road Shops. It's filled with upscale stores and some nice restaurants. Also it is home to George Washington High School, the "smart school" or so they think

In the valley, Charleston is pretty dence. All the way from Nitro/St Albans to around Dupont/Quincy. you probably noticed that on the map. The suburbs of Charleston are west of town, which include South Charleston, Dunbar, St. Albans, Teays Valley, Hurricane. But you find small patches of houses north of Charleston in the Sissonsville, Elkview areas.

If you want "small town living" that is also possible in Kanawha County

Unread 08-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
yeah the south side of the river, across from downtown, is know as South Hills. It is one of Charlestons' most wealthy neighborhoods. There is a small shopping village there called the Bridge Road Shops. It's filled with upscale stores and some nice restaurants. Also it is home to George Washington High School, the "smart school" or so they think

In the valley, Charleston is pretty dence. All the way from Nitro/St Albans to around Dupont/Quincy. you probably noticed that on the map. The suburbs of Charleston are west of town, which include South Charleston, Dunbar, St. Albans, Teays Valley, Hurricane. But you find small patches of houses north of Charleston in the Sissonsville, Elkview areas.

If you want "small town living" that is also possible in Kanawha County
Ok thanks for the info. Thank god for those hills, makes for nice suburbs away from the river's valley.

Unread 08-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info. Thank god for those hills, makes for nice suburbs away from the river's valley.
yeap, that is the best part about WV, the hills and how we use them

Unread 08-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Status: "Okay. This is the one I meant to post." (set 13 days ago)

5,896 posts, read 4,021,260 times
I don't agree with Bailey about a lot of things, but think he posted a good thread here. I will only add this...

West Virginia does not have a large, or even a medium sized city. And, consider that the term "city" is relative to both fixed geographic boundaries and to developments outside of those boundaries. Morgantown is jammed packed with people within their relatively small geographic limitations. Nearly all the growth is taking place in areas located near the town, but for obvious reasons (there simply isn't any more space) not inside of it. The Morgantown area is one of only two in the State that is growing. Charleston is not... it is in either the decline or the static mode depending on to whom you listen, but it is definitely not growing.

I won't say anything negative about Charleston. If I did, my ex (with whom I am still friends after being divorced for 4 decades) is from Glasgow in Kanawha County and my old college girlfriend is from Hurricane. I also worked for many years for the State of WV and spent a lot of time there.

That said, Morgantown has these things, and Charleston does not...

http://www.events.wvu.edu/index.shtml

In addition to The University's outstanding symphony, Morgantown also hosts three concerts yearly for the Pittsburgh Symphony and one for the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra. Charleston's West Virginia Symphony also performs here from time to time.

Calendar

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/images/topWVLogo2.jpg

Mountaineer Basketball was Final 4 Quality last year.

Morgantown Awards Continue to grow

City of Morgantown Annual Events

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/226/2610...wn-restaurants

And, for outdoor venues, in addition to the outstanding recreational areas in nearby Maryland and Pennsylvania, Morgantown offers this (nearly 13,000 acres right outside of town) ...

Coopers Rock State Forest

and this...

Cheat Lake - Google Search

In addition, it is just over an hour away from a major metro area without having the negatives associated with actually living there ...

City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Pghgov.com

Morgantown is growing and vibrant. And, it comes closer than any other WV city to the big city feel (it is actually busy after dark here) while preserving customary West Virginia small town values.

You really can't go wrong with either choice, but for my money (literally, since I recently relocated here) it is hard to beat Morgantown.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-17-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Unread 08-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I don't agree with Bailey about a lot of things, but think he posted a good thread here. I will only add this...

West Virginia does not have a large, or even a medium sized city. And, consider that the term "city" is relative to both fixed geographic boundaries and to developments outside of those boundaries. Morgantown is jammed packed with people within their relatively small geographic limitations. Nearly all the growth is taking place in areas located near the town, but for obvious reasons (there simply isn't any more space) not inside of it. The Morgantown area is one of only two in the State that is growing. Charleston is not... it is in either the decline or the static mode depending on to whom you listen, but it is definitely not growing.

I won't say anything negative about Charleston. If I did, my ex (with whom I am still friends after being divorced for 4 decades) is from Glasgow in Kanawha County and my old college girlfriend is from Hurricane. I also worked for many years for the State of WV and spent a lot of time there.

That said, Morgantown has these things, and Charleston does not...

Arts&Entertainment - West Virginia University

In addition to The University's outstanding symphony, Morgantown also hosts three concerts yearly for the Pittsburgh Symphony and one for the Wheeling Symphony Orchestra. Charleston's West Virginia Symphony also performs here from time to time.

Calendar

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/images/topWVLogo2.jpg

Mountaineer Basketball was Final 4 Quality last year.

Morgantown Awards Continue to grow

City of Morgantown Annual Events

Morgantown Restaurants | Urbanspoon

And, for outdoor venues, in addition to the outstanding recreational areas in nearby Maryland and Pennsylvania, Morgantown offers this (nearly 13,000 acres right outside of town) ...

Coopers Rock State Forest

and this...

Cheat Lake - Google Search

In addition, it is just over an hour away from a major metro area without having the negatives associated with actually living there ...

City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Pghgov.com

Morgantown is growing and vibrant. And, it comes closer than any other WV city to the big city feel (it is actually busy after dark here) while preserving customary West Virginia small town values.

You really can't go wrong with either choice, but for my money (literally, since I recently relocated here) it is hard to beat Morgantown.
Thanks for info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia