Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 PM

869 posts, read 1,562,383 times

Advertisements

Elkins also feels bigger than its 7,000 population, as a good portion of the population lives on the outskirts of town. It also serves as a regional hub for east central West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM

24 posts, read 59,872 times
I live in New Creek ( right beside Keyser) and there are jobs here if you are in a trade or have a degree. Sometimes you may have to look in Cumberland, MD... but there ARE jobs.

It is small, nice neighbors and we live 5 mins from the Wal-Mart in Keyser. There is a nice small elementary school located here, and Keyser High is a great high school.

I was born and raised here. Moved to Orlando, FL for a while, lived and went to College in Huntington, WV but came home to raise my family. No better place for kids IMHO.

Fairmont and Elkins are also pretty nice too! Also-- check out Romney in Hampshire County!

Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,954,091 times
My sister lives in New Creek with really good neighbors. We grew up on a farm outside of Keyser with a Keyser mailing address. All 7 of us went to Keyser High School, I feel I received a good education there. Romney is a good choice too, and you would be close enough to Winchester to look for jobs there.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:08 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,697,624 times
Lewisburg

Old 10-27-2010, 07:11 PM

24 posts, read 59,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
My sister lives in New Creek with really good neighbors. We grew up on a farm outside of Keyser with a Keyser mailing address. All 7 of us went to Keyser High School, I feel I received a good education there. Romney is a good choice too, and you would be close enough to Winchester to look for jobs there.
I went to Keyser High, as did my mother. My father went to Frankfort (in Fort Ashby). Rest of the family was Keyser as well. Good small town, Fort Ashby. We have a nice big farm on Rt. 46.

Nice community!!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 AM

938 posts, read 2,891,163 times
Ripley, New Martinsville, Kingwood, Grafton, Bluefield, Elkins, Weston.

Those are the smaller towns with Wal Marts I can think of off the top of my head.

Of the above, I'd look at Grafton.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM

10 posts, read 19,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLURALIAR View Post
Tell the Truth about Elkins, Randolph County WV it Sucks! Everyone has their nose stuck in everyone's business.
The Pill Junkies who are thieves are everywhere! The drugs are horrible in Randolph County, WV. If the law would do their job it might get better but since they don't it only gets worse.
That's comes with living in a small town, no different than most.

For a small population in the whole county, the area does have a noticeable drug problem. I've heard on too many occasions the city police do ignore calls for drug activity, and deny certain problems exists even though the issue is very evident. Quite simply, the city police are worthless. It is very evident there is a problem by the way people drive.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:31 PM

10 posts, read 19,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Corridor H that goes through Elkins will eventually connect I-79 Weston to I-81 near Strasburg and connecting to I-66 making a trip to D.C. within a 2 1/2 drive.
Corridor H will not connect I-81 any year soon, forget that as a quick trip to DC. That section is scheduled to start construction in 2018.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:41 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,975,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB banjo picker View Post
Corridor H will not connect I-81 any year soon, forget that as a quick trip to DC. That section is scheduled to start construction in 2018.
Yeahhhhhhhh, I already knew that... actually.. The final section will be begin in like 2031, and if additional funding becomes available the entire road will be finished much faster. Obama is pushing for increased infrastructure funding, so hopefully that will get passed. But the sections of the road that are completed will still reduce overall travel time.

and about the police.. well, you get what you pay for. You want to put your life on the line for 30,000 a year??? I wouldn't....

Old 10-30-2010, 04:38 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,221,075 times
Last I heard (read online, actually), Virginia still hadn't committed to their part of Corridor H, to hook up the WV border with I-81.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia