Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 04:19 PM

9 posts, read 15,915 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Williamstown, WV for Christmas and I am interested in some activities in the area, even day trips.

We plan on going to Marietta, OH for some window shopping, possibly some skiing and we will be making a trip to Fenton Glass.

Just wanted to know if there were any other activities that are a must do in the area. Any local theaters (even in Charleston), fun places to shop, eat, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,229,218 times
If it's open during the holidays, take the boat over to Blennerhassett Island; also tour the museum downtown a block or two away from the boat docks.

Cairo and North Bend State Park are maybe an hour or so east... downtown Cairo is much like it was during the oil and gas boom of the late 1800s/early 1900s.

An hour and a half so south is Pt. Pleasant, home of Mothman. (It's faster, and the roads are better, if you cross over to Ohio and take OH-7, instead of staying on the WV side of the river.)

Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM

938 posts, read 2,894,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRFC Prop1 View Post
I will be visiting Williamstown, WV for Christmas and I am interested in some activities in the area, even day trips.

We plan on going to Marietta, OH for some window shopping, possibly some skiing and we will be making a trip to Fenton Glass.

Just wanted to know if there were any other activities that are a must do in the area. Any local theaters (even in Charleston), fun places to shop, eat, etc.

Thanks!
There is nothing to do there at all other than eat, drink, and sleep. I grew up and lived there for 20 years. I get bored just thinking about going back home for anything.

Though I must say that I've eaten the best pizza in Chicago, Philly, NYC...I've never in my life had a better slice of pizza than The Pizza Place. That's probably the highlight of the entire town.

B-hassett Island won't be open in December. Not that it's very interesting, anyway. Here's a house. Here's a hollowed out tree that they used to hide slaves in. Except it got hit by lightening...and now its a stump...but whatever...it used to be a giant hollow tree. Being that its the only interesting thing in town, you went to it once every other year for school by default.

Fenton is actually pretty cool. Observing them create those basket things out of glass is legitimately fun to watch.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM

9 posts, read 15,915 times
Snorpus thanks so much for the suggestions and advice!

WVUPharm, I have only been to the area a handful of times so I can appreciate you thinking its boring as most of us think our hometowns are. I really just enjoy the scenery and hope for a white Christmas ( I am from SC). We can agree on one thing, The Pizza Place is amazing and I can't wait to get some pepperoni rolls somewhere! I am excited about Fenton although my girlfriend has been there 500 times since she grew up in the area and I am sure she is not at all excited about it.

thanks for the comments and suggestions! its much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia