U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM

6,672 posts, read 5,010,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
What amuses me about goverment jobs and people that are irate about them is that ALL American jobs used to be like that. You'd get a good salary, good benefits, good pension. But then the powers that be started shipping the good manufacturing jobs overseas...they started cutting benefits...they started making people shoulder the cost of healthcare more and more.

And now the American job is total crap. The only good jobs are with the government or as a high level professional. We've let the ruling elite wealth class dictate to us what a job should be. And now we are tearing down the workers that have it as good as everyone used to.

And people wonder why there is no middle class anymore.
You have a point there, but it's not simply the workers. It is all part of the system that is diminishing our middle class standard of living and increasing the gap between the wealthiest individuals and the rest of us. The elitists aren't the ones waiting in line at the understaffed post offices. They assign that task to their ever more poorly compensated underlings who, because they have been brainwashed in the "globalist" mentality of open borders and no tarrifs, which only serves the interests of the wealthy elitists, are continually being pushed in the direction of the lowest common denominator third world countries. If this keeps up, we'll be no better off than some of the crapholes of the world where there are only two kinds of people... the super rich and the lowly peasants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 PM

967 posts, read 1,947,013 times
UPS/FEDEX and DHL will all deliver up the mountain, right to our door- with a smile. Postal Carrier won't get out of his car. If he can't put it in the box from his window- I have to drive to town to get it. Post Office trip is exactly what has been described in previous posts: bad attitudes, I-dont-have-to-be-good-I-can't-be-fired mentality, moving slowly despite a packed lobby, just plain old poor business practices. The bottom line is that the USPS doesn't have to turn a profit. There is no motive for them to perform better. That is why FEDEX/UPS/DHL have great service- they want customers, because that's what allows them to exist. Any of the private companies can deliver the mail, at a fraction of the cost.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:00 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
UPS/FEDEX and DHL will all deliver up the mountain, right to our door- with a smile. Postal Carrier won't get out of his car. If he can't put it in the box from his window- I have to drive to town to get it. ...
Maybe it's up to the individual carrier, but my mail carriers have always made it a point to drive up to the house if something is too large for the box. Only if no one is home do I have to go to the P.O. to get it.

I'm not sure if USPS is permitted to leave parcels on the front porch, like UPS and FedEx do.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:08 AM

939 posts, read 1,836,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Maybe it's up to the individual carrier, but my mail carriers have always made it a point to drive up to the house if something is too large for the box.
My mail dude does that, too.

From what you people are describing, I must be the luckiest postal customer on the planet or something.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:57 PM

22,438 posts, read 5,822,024 times
The local employee's here are great. Quick to help out with a problem. I ship a lot and if the lady at the counter notices something I could do better or cheaper she tells me.

The Post Office still can't be allowed to lose billions of dollars.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:02 PM

6,672 posts, read 5,010,532 times
Working for the Post Office used to be a way of life... a matter of pride. Now, it's just a job for these folks. Their union has basically ruined it for everyone. The days of "neither rain nor sleet nor hale" are gone forever.
Now, it's when is my next break?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 AM

939 posts, read 1,836,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Working for the Post Office used to be a way of life... a matter of pride. Now, it's just a job for these folks. Their union has basically ruined it for everyone. The days of "neither rain nor sleet nor hale" are gone forever.
Now, it's when is my next break?
That's not a reflection of unionization, its a reflection of the state of our narcissistic society.

Unions are still going strong and are still a thing of pride in places like Germany and Scandinavia.

If you begin telling everyone in society that some sort of simplistic "rugged individualism" is the ideal, that's what you get. People are just motivated by themselves. Just as corporations and companies are motivated by themselves...and will ship away millions of jobs overseas if it helps their bottom line.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 AM

18 posts, read 17,935 times
Why complain about something you are not even paying for ?
It is called RFD ( Rural Free Delivery )
The one that pays is the sender ... not the Reciever of Mail.

The Post Office Department first experimented with the idea of rural mail delivery on October 1, 1891 to determine the viability of RFD. They began with five routes covering ten miles, 33 years after free delivery in cities had begun. The first routes to receive RFD during its experimental phase were in Jefferson County, West Virginia, near Charles Town, Halltown, and Uvilla.

Read the info:Rural delivery service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM

744 posts, read 470,738 times
I just read this entire thread and no one mentioned that the Post Office is no longer a government agency. It was privatised years ago and gone steadily downhill every since and is now almost bankrupt.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM

144 posts, read 174,891 times
Can't stand Fed Ex Ground and UPS is good but I do A LOT of ebay business and always use USPS Priority if I can. My local guy is great and it's cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia