Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
Lack of diversity
Since when did this even become a negative?

If I'm white, am I supposed to say "I can't move to West Virginia. Too many white people!"?

I hate this new line of thinking that automatically equates black/Hispanic/homosexual/ with some kind of positive progress and equates white/Christian/heterosexual with negative regression. This is a majority white nation. Obviously some states will be more "diverse" than others.

Quote:
conservative
You realize this is not actually a universal negative and is entirely dependent upon your own personal views, right?

Liberal states are also often mocked (California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, etc.)

Quote:
hillbilly,
As opposed to living like a rat in a maze in NYC, right?

Quote:
Robert Byrd
Ted Kennedy?...

Quote:
and personally I felt uncomfortable visiting there along with WV's neighbor, Kentucky. I saw lots of rural, poor areas and it was quite depressing. And I thought Charleston was a very boring city.
This comes off as extremely elitist and smacks of a very obnoxious, urbanized viewpoint of the rest of the nation. I've driven in rural East Kentucky and very rural parts of West Virginia and find it great. I feel uncomfortable driving in the ghettoes of NYC, Newark, and Washington D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
There's at least one notable black person from WV.

Johnnie Johnson - Blues pianist and "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee", possible inspiration for "Johnny B. Good."

Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 AM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
family guy

YouTube - West Virginia Joke

Old 06-02-2010, 01:09 AM

160 posts, read 183,704 times
[quote=ReluctantGardenStater;14433821]
Quote:
Since when did this even become a negative?

If I'm white, am I supposed to say "I can't move to West Virginia. Too many white people!"?

I hate this new line of thinking that automatically equates black/Hispanic/homosexual/ with some kind of positive progress and equates white/Christian/heterosexual with negative regression. This is a majority white nation. Obviously some states will be more "diverse" than others.
Well it's a negative to me. I would never move there, especially with having a white boyfriend. Before you know it crosses might be burning in our yard. lol. Places that lack diversity tend to be less accepting of outsiders and often have negative perceptions about another race of people. And that is not a good quality at all. There are some places in KY & WV that my boyfriend would not even dare go to...and he is a eastern Kentucky native!

Quote:
You realize this is not actually a universal negative and is entirely dependent upon your own personal views, right?

Liberal states are also often mocked (California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, etc.)
I hate conservative politics so that was just my opinion.

Quote:
As opposed to living like a rat in a maze in NYC, right?
I'd rather live in NYC then in WV.

Quote:
This comes off as extremely elitist and smacks of a very obnoxious, urbanized viewpoint of the rest of the nation. I've driven in rural East Kentucky and very rural parts of West Virginia and find it great. I feel uncomfortable driving in the ghettoes of NYC, Newark, and Washington D.C.
Though I have not had any bad experiences in WV. I get weird looks in rural towns in KY, TN, NC in general most of the southern states that you love so much just for stopping in to eat at diners, get gas from a gas station, and asking for help/directions. One lady in a backwoods town in KY refused to serve us at a diner. It should not matter what race we are. Definitely wasn't a comfortable feeling. I can't believe places with so much racial tension still exist.

And I don't find ghettos attractive at all. Both backwoods/hillbilly and ghetto places scare me.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,027,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There's at least one notable black person from WV.

Johnnie Johnson - Blues pianist and "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee", possible inspiration for "Johnny B. Good."
Bishop T.D. Jakes if from S. Charleston, WV as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
I think that I might be a nice example to go by...I'm more or less set on moving to WV(Morgantown), but I'm going to commute to PA due to better career opportunities. WV is a beautiful state, very rustic and scenic, very rural and friendly...all without the pretention and craziness that you get from most other places. However, it's economically dead and stuck in the past amidst a sea of political "good ol' boys" and pissed off ex-union workers who keep clinging-on to what was "good" some 30 years ago. WV's problem lies solely in it's economy..which is a wreck due to its government. The eastern half of the state does well, as it's becoming something of a suburb to D.C., but Morgantown is the only real "city" that's economically viable, growing, somewhat modern, and doesn't post a median age that rivals a Florida retirement community. Everything else is either crumbling away and dead(Wheeling), a quaint tourist town(Harpers Ferry), like something out of deliverance(...I don't even have to bother), a dusty coal town(Clarksburg), or being placed on life support in hopes of revival(Charleston and Huntington).

WV could very easily become what South Carolina is today...which is a smaller, borderline rural state with thriving small cities(Columbia, Greenville, Charleston) and no true metropolis, but it's population is way too resistant to change and more or less keeps digging itself into a deeper hole through political and economical shortfalls. I more or less expect the state to keep its "good" and its "bad" for a very long time...Morgantown will keep growing thanks to WVU and several "sugar daddy" corporations, probably becoming the largest "city" in the state before long and becoming the center city and showpiece for the WV government to reluctantly talk about, the Eastern half will continue to become more of a D.C. suburb, and the rest of the state's cities will continue to grow older and shrink in population. You live in/visit WV for good people, slow-paced life without all the crap, and beautiful scenery...not so much for career opportunities, youth culture, trendiness, monitary wealth, and overall progress. It is what it is.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 06-03-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
West Virginians tend not to care where you are from or what color you are: It's all in who you carry yourself.

They are more of a do your own thing and leave me alone type people. Kind of standoffish at first but they make great friends once you have gained their trust.

Some the more rural and remote areas can be a bit iffy but I have experienced that in many remote places outside of West Virginia.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Now I haven't been everywhere in WV, just a few places from Weirton to Princeton to Falling Waters to Matewan, but I've seen poorer places in the Appalachian regions of PA and NY than I've seen in WV.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:35 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Bishop T.D. Jakes if from S. Charleston, WV as well.
Randy Moss is from the Charleston area as well. Steve Harvey was born in Welch. Booker T. Washington lived in the Charleston area for a good portion of his life. There are other famous Black folks from WV too. There are 2 Historically Black colleges in WV too. Generally, Southern WV and the bigger cities in Northern WV is where the Black population in the state is concentrated.

West Virginia also actually has a relatively high Italian American population too.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:52 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
West Virginians tend not to care where you are from or what color you are: It's all in who you carry yourself.

They are more of a do your own thing and leave me alone type people. Kind of standoffish at first but they make great friends once you have gained their trust.

Some the more rural and remote areas can be a bit iffy but I have experienced that in many remote places outside of West Virginia.
I'm a native NYer and never had a problem with anyone in West Virginia.
Never found the people, even the hill folk to be stand offish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia