Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 228,711 times

Advertisements

http://www.scott.k12.va.us/martha2/images/Geological_regions_of_Virginia.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 11:17 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Default West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Lover View Post
Hey, did ya see a John Deere when u was dere?

haha
No but I did see some some deer. I almost walked into one while I was hiking in the forest.

Oh my that's quite a nice map!

Last edited by Waterlily; 07-17-2007 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: fix

Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im not dishing the cities but some are dirty Williamson, Princeton , Welch etc.
and I dont mean dirty like trash just coal dust etc. It not a biggy it just something that comes with the industry.

I have relatives who live in Kentucky and I will not mention Mining company name due to libel issues but they also mine in WVA and my aunt refuse to allow them to mine underneath there house and within 5 years later there house began sinking in due to mining that was done underneath their property. So yes legally there suppose to disclose that and obtain a lease to mine on their property but some will go at any length to obtain the coal seam they desire.

Here are some examples of links to illegal activity going on in that state
Destruction of headwaters
Mountaintop Removal Mining Permits Illegal: Earthjustice: Environmental Law

example of a city dealing with coal dust
West Virginia Town Fights Blanket of Coal Dust - The NewStandard

coal slurry poisioning well waters
Meeting Two: Is Coal Slurry Poisoning Well Water?

Yes coal industry is great for that state but it also part of its downfall of what attracts people to that state which is the mountains.

Yes, West Virginia has a big problem with Mountiantop removal. The coal industry runs supreme in the state at the cost of the environment. I have heard stories about groundwater contamination, and increased flooding because of erosion from a friend who lives there. Tourism would benefit so much if they would stop the mountaintop removal. I see that is now illegal based on your link. That is one piece of good news

Old 07-18-2007, 07:43 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
I like driving the rural roads of West Virginia. The people generally fall into a stereotype and are so different than Fairfax County Va (which is most immigrants and YUPPIES), that it is a breath of fresh air. I think many small towns in West Virginia seem like they have not changed since the 1950s.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
hmmm... actually, Herndon (with its day-laborer center) and Manassas (with a lot of Mexicans) are really the only places with many immigrants.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
I make fun of Ohio. I don't make fun of it I hardly thought about it til now, but maybe it's because, small population, small state, no big cities, south(hick). lots of hillbillies fishing in the river. I never visited there so I wouldn't know, but my automatic thought brings me to more trailer park people.
Ohio is not in the South and what the heck is wrong with fishing?????? No, I am not from Ohio. The only place I have really been there is King's Island but I am not about to say it's all full of hicks.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:13 PM

607 posts, read 2,979,434 times
I'm not saying Ohio is in the south, although they are wannabe southern states.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jake1256
I make fun of Ohio. I don't make fun of it I hardly thought about it til now, but maybe it's because, small population, small state, no big cities, south(hick). lots of hillbillies fishing in the river. I never visited there so I wouldn't know, but my automatic thought brings me to more trailer park people.

missymomof3
Ohio is not in the South and what the heck is wrong with fishing?????? No, I am not from Ohio. The only place I have really been there is King's Island but I am not about to say it's all full of hicks.

Jake1256

Seems to me that you're all describing West Virginia... wannabe southerners (Virginians), hicks, hillbillies fishing on rivers, trailer park people, small population, small state.

sounds to me like West Virginia! :-)

Old 07-18-2007, 03:18 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
Ohio does not want to be a southern state. They made that loud and clear in the Civil War.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ohio does not want to be a southern state. They made that loud and clear in the Civil War.
they sure did! But Virginia did not... we ain't no damn Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia