Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this was already posted, but the only reason that Berkeley and Jefferson County are part of WV was that the area was occupied by Northern troops during WV's vote for secession. Having a bayonette at your back always makes the decision easier.

I have always felt that the area was more geographically and culturally like the VA counties in the Shenedoah Valley to their south than like the mountain regions to their west. Will they ever go back now? I doubt it.

Morgan County has always felt like WV to me, especially the Paw Paw area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 05:40 PM

144 posts, read 317,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Forgive me if this was already posted, but the only reason that Berkeley and Jefferson County are part of WV was that the area was occupied by Northern troops during WV's vote for secession. Having a bayonette at your back always makes the decision easier.

I have always felt that the area was more geographically and culturally like the VA counties in the Shenedoah Valley to their south than like the mountain regions to their west. Will they ever go back now? I doubt it.

Morgan County has always felt like WV to me, especially the Paw Paw area.
The bayonet at the back was more of a you are under arrest and cannot leave your house. The way i have always known it is those that were behind the confederate cause were not allowed to vote. If I am wrong blame my teachers

Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtbred View Post
The bayonet at the back was more of a you are under arrest and cannot leave your house. The way i have always known it is those that were behind the confederate cause were not allowed to vote. If I am wrong blame my teachers
That is what I was getting at, thanks for historical details. Despite being able to see (and hear) WV from my house, I only know the "big picture" of WV history, not too many of the details.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:51 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
This is as Stupid as a guy running for office about 10 yrs ago saying Vote for him & he would SELL Jeff/Morgan & Berk Counties to MARYLAND!!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
This is as Stupid as a guy running for office about 10 yrs ago saying Vote for him & he would SELL Jeff/Morgan & Berk Counties to MARYLAND!!
I don't remember that. Do you know who said it? (We've had so many stupid people run for office that the list of possibilities is so long ...) Seems to me like somebody should ask Maryland if they even want those counties before deciding on an asking price.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't remember that. Do you know who said it? (We've had so many stupid people run for office that the list of possibilities is so long ...) Seems to me like somebody should ask Maryland if they even want those counties before deciding on an asking price.
Just a quick interjection; I think Maryland would take them if given the opportunity. I mean, Virginia and Pennsylvania basically squashed Maryland into almost nothing way back when.

Just an observation.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 PM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
Maybe we can be free agent counties & sell ourselves to the highest bidder?

"Aaaand... SOLD... to the gentleman from Colorado!"

Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Maybe we can be free agent counties & sell ourselves to the highest bidder?

"Aaaand... SOLD... to the gentleman from Colorado!"
good idea

Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM

144 posts, read 317,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Just a quick interjection; I think Maryland would take them if given the opportunity. I mean, Virginia and Pennsylvania basically squashed Maryland into almost nothing way back when.

Just an observation.
Actually VA was here first and then much later some property was given to Lord Baltimore for MD. Hate the way they busted up the property in what is now western MD but oh well.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Maryland's original charter was up to nearly the border of Philly and the FURTHEST headwater of the Potomac, which turned out to be the S. Branch. Maryland lost both of those border disputes, otherwise the state would look like two big triangles with a modest waist at Hancock. I wish we had kept that territory, I suspect the state would be far less liberal and their could be the possibility of 2 party rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia