Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Social Work Program would you prefer?
West Virginia University 1 50.00%
Marshall University 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 AM

82 posts, read 639,223 times

Advertisements

What is the general opinion of specifically the Social Work programs at both universities?

Any input?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
I don't have any experience with either program, nor have I heard people really compare the two. I think if trying to choose between them, the first thing you would have to do is decide if you want a Bachelors or a Masters degree. Marshall only offers a Bachelors but WVU appears to offer a Bachelors and a Masters. So if you want a Masters degree in social work, WVU would be your answer.

If you want a Bachelors though, it appears that both Bachelors programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education which is something very important to consider. I could only find rankings for Masters programs but none for Bachelors programs so there doesn't appear to be a good resource online for comparing the two.

I would suggest looking at the requirements, talking to the administrators/teachers of each program, consider tuition cost and see which one fits your needs the best. It also appears that you are currently in Morgantown so another thing you need to consider is would you like a change in scenery and can what would be the difference in housing costs of moving to Huntington?

Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I'll try to ask some Social Workers that I work with if they have any input. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Tim

Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
What's your goal? If you are only planning to work for a "program" or at an entry level job in Government in the social services field, a bachelors degree would probably suffice and you'd do fine at either school. If you want to get into social work "practice" with counselling, psychiatric social work and the like, you'd need a masters. The program at WVU is fully accredited at the masters level.

Like Tim says, you would want to weigh whether or not you want a change in scenery, but you'd also want to factor in the cost of moving and the need to establish yourself in a new community if you were to move.

Here's a link to the program descriptions at WVU and at Marshall:

Division of Social Work | HOME | West Virginia University | Eberly College of Arts and Sciences

College of Health Professions (http://www.marshall.edu/cohp/portal/Main/index.asp?pid=49&sid=5 - broken link)

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 02-25-2011 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia